Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making a Hat Block

Nuance97

New in Town
On to the Yellow facets
full

full

I made some contour gauges to verify my curves
full

full

You can see they match perfectly even before smoothing out the rough rasp lines
full

Fits even better after smoothing out
full

full

I’ll call that done
full

It worked out really well when reblocking the hat
full

full

full

full

full

full

full

My hat photoshopped into Raiders (on right obviously)
full

Pretty massive improvement
full

well done, congrats. Do you have an estimate of the amount of time it took to make it? Old school block makers use use linden or lemon wood (no knots or blemishes), band saw, very sharp chisels/adje/and other hand carving tools. My block maker uses CNC machining. The programming takes sometime but the individual blocks make up quickly.

Nuance97

New in Town
well done, congrats. Do you have an estimate of the amount of time it took to make it? Old school block makers use use linden or lemon wood (no knots or blemishes), band saw, very sharp chisels/adje/and other hand carving tools. My block maker uses CNC machining. The programming takes sometime but the individual blocks make up quickly.
The carving took about 2.5 hours. I timed it. The other included glueing overnight and I didn’t keep up with it, but probably another 4 hours I’d estimate

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
I picked up a set of blocks and a few flanges from a fellow hatter here in Vancouver. He is making them using a CNC machine. I like the quality.
I will snap some pics and show them in this and the Hat Making thread.
Are they less expensive that Hatter's Supply House?

Are they less expensive that Hatter's Supply House?
Yes, his blocks are $300 Canadian and the flanges are $330. So cheaper on the blocks and in line with HattersSupply's lowest cost flanges....cheaper than the others. His website....www.jaxonhowell.com
There is also a Toronto company that is looking at importing fur felts capelines. Not sure from where. They have samples of rabbit that they are testing and so far so good. Once they have the rabbit felts taken care of they will bring in beaver to test. I fear they may only focus on western weight.....at least in the beginning. If it is 180gram I could live with that but don't want to work with 220 to 250 gram monsters.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Yes, his blocks are $300 Canadian and the flanges are $330. So cheaper on the blocks and in line with HattersSupply's lowest cost flanges....cheaper than the others. His website....www.jaxonhowell.com
There is also a Toronto company that is looking at importing fur felts capelines. Not sure from where. They have samples of rabbit that they are testing and so far so good. Once they have the rabbit felts taken care of they will bring in beaver to test. I fear they may only focus on western weight.....at least in the beginning. If it is 180gram I could live with that but don't want to work with 220 to 250 gram monsters.
Looks like blocks and flanges at Hatters Supply House increased by $50 each. I will take a look at Jaxon Howell blocks.

Looks like blocks and flanges at Hatters Supply House increased by $50 each. I will take a look at Jaxon Howell blocks.
Yes, I placed an order with Hatters Supply a bit more than a year ago and if I recall the flanges were around $200 US each. But the almost year long wait was tough and I cancelled after about 6 months when they could not give me a delivery date. I have sourced from Europe but the freight is a killer.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Yes, I placed an order with Hatters Supply a bit more than a year ago and if I recall the flanges were around $200 US each. But the almost year long wait was tough and I cancelled after about 6 months when they could not give me a delivery date. I have sourced from Europe but the freight is a killer.
The 3D printed blocks by Randall Alan might need to fill in the holes as I need them. I only have one of his and I am using it for the first time now, so will see how it goes. It has held up to the steam for now, but I do pay close attention when steaming on that block and I don't have to worry about that on the wooden ones.

The 3D printed blocks by Randall Alan might need to fill in the holes as I need them. I only have one of his and I am using it for the first time now, so will see how it goes. It has held up to the steam for now, but I do pay close attention when steaming on that block and I don't have to worry about that on the wooden ones.
I ordered from RA early on and he made the wrong profile. He got it totally wrong so I sent them back. His prices were not that much cheaper than getting them from Poland and the difference in quality of course was huge. But the prices from HatBlocksPoland have risen a lot so RA may be a better buy. I like the JaxonHowell blocks/flanges.
My curling shackles from Poland arrived a few weeks back. They are pricey but works of functional art. But now Hatters Supply is offering them with the brass inserts for a much better price. Oh, well!

I think if he had priced them a bit cheaper he may be able to capture market share early on. Especially if his deliveries are quick. I was his first customer. My biggest issue is when to stop accumulating and make do with what I have. I have about 40 blocks and 36 flanges but really need another set of Long Oval flanges. I am surprised how many hatters out there only have Regular Oval blocks and flanges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui