Making a New Hat

Discussion in 'Hats' started by mark alan, Oct 21, 2006.

1. MississippiLong

MississippiLong One of the Regulars

smithbilt seems to have it together. I may have to give those guys a call about a dress hat!

2. fletch31

fletch31 Familiar Face

Pretty cool seeing a picture of the singeing process. Thats high percentage alcohol or methanol in the spray bottle. I see they also use a sweatband cutter purchased from JW Hats as that is his design and identical to the one posted earlier. He sells them to other hatters and there is quite a bit of machine work in one. Thanks for posting these Dav3!

3. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

Dav3, you're a professional photographer, right?

4. retro50

retro50 Familiar Face

Yes, I know Smithbilt Hats well. Years ago they were on my customer list when I was in coatings sales and hat sizing was one of the products I sold. More recently, I had them clean and put a new ribbon and binding on a Stetson Deluxe I picked up. Their new location is actually just down the road from my shop.

5. 1911 Man

1911 Man A-List Customer

I wanted to revive this thread, as I just picked up my latest JW hat. Like other reputable hat makers we all know and love, JW uses the finest quality Winchester felt rawbodies. He offers 100% rabbit, 100% beaver, or a 50/50 blend. He mostly does western hats, but offers dress hats as well. I wanted one of his 100% beaver hats to round out my collection, so now I have a Steve Delk, an Art Fawcett, and a J.W. I wanted a nice dark gray, and I was very taken by the color "Steel". The ribbon and brim binding are a matching gray, as I like to keep my hats simple and subtle. The specs are as follows:
    5 1/2 open crown, with front crease set at 4 1/2.
    2 1/2 brim.
    Standard teardrop, or C-crown bash.
    Turn around time on this hat, 16 days.
    I told my wife I was going for something similar to the old Stetson Whippet, modified for my own personal specs.
    Pics!!!
    Liner
    [​IMG]

Front view
    [​IMG]

Side view
    [​IMG]

On my unshaven mug (Hey, it is Saturday!)
    [​IMG]
    Thank you for your consideration

6. randooch

randooch I'll Lock Up

fascinating process

(almost) makes me want to chuck it all and apprentice. keep up the steps, and thanks!

7. That J W sure is a beaut!

8. ken100

ken100 Familiar Face

Fantastic

What a great journey, thank you! Now to find a custom hattery here in Sydney.:)

9. Zeropositive

Zeropositive Familiar Face

I just wanted to say this is an amazing thread, I love the step by step photos in the making of process.

Thank you!

10. Chinaski

Chinaski One Too Many

A very fun, informative thread. Thanks to the folks who generously posted photos for our enlightenment. Anyone else care to visit another hatmaker and post? I believe there would be interest from the group!

11. mtechthang

mtechthang One of the Regulars

Sure- but . . .

Chinaski
    Indeed, I'd love to go over to Oregon to visit Vintage Silhouettes and watch him build my next one. But, given current uncertainties, I doubt the spouse would approve since I already have one coming from Steve Delk. :cheers1:

12. Chinaski

Chinaski One Too Many

Mtech, please, who wears the pants around that house?? Now get thee to Oregon, tout suite! We need some more cool pictures in this thread!

13. mtechthang

mtechthang One of the Regulars

Indeed!

:p We live in Idaho- one of the states known as "community property" - so we both do! :eek: :eek: :eek: Uhhhh- not the same ones. shakeshead Seriously, I do hope we can make it over there this summer- but best clear it with Art first! ;)

14. Prairie Shade

Prairie Shade A-List Customer

HOWDY after long absence

JW's has made two hats for me plus reconditioned another. Very good work and excellent communication. If I have some more work that needs done, I will call them. It seems stupid to send a hat so far, but I dont know anyone else who does this work so well!!! Thanks Big Jim and Little Jim!!

15. Chinaski

Chinaski One Too Many

Prairie Shade, I think pictures would be most appropriate. :)

16. freehandbash

freehandbash New in Town

Wow! reading about Jw hats after the fact that I've bought sweatbands and ribbon from them is Awsome! Joyce is very nice over the phone. Great thread! THANKS.

17. feltfan

feltfan My Mail is Forwarded Here

New article on J. W Hats:

http://www.viamagazine.com/attractions/utahs-fab-hatmaker

Unfortunately, not a very good article. Always hard to tell what the subject said and what the
    reporter distorts. This one contains the claim that he has made more hats, "than any other shop in the country"
    and seems to claim that he makes his own felt: "Using rabbit or beaver pelts, or a combination, I use the process
    of felting to make the hairs align and hook together". Somehow I suspect the latter at least was a misunderstanding
    on the part of the reporter.

18. Chepstow

Chepstow I'll Lock Up

Mark, that is a great and informative thread and a great write up too. Thanks for that!

19. JonnyO

JonnyO A-List Customer

Has anyone done business with JW Hats recently? I'm considering sending him an email regarding the clean up of a couple of hats.

20. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

I bought some leather sweatbands from them this past spring.