Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making a Western hat by hand?

Yahoody

One Too Many
All the movie photos this morning got me rethinking what I wanted in my newest hat. Down that rabbit hole I went!

I changed the hat band color and added some shape. Too many Vaquero flat hats around here any :) Never been my style.

Hat is big enough that I decided I wanted something that looked a little more simple and plain while keeping the basic open crown and most of the size. Hard to tell from the photos what has changed. My fault, bad photos. But the change to a medium saddle tan hat band from the dark red latigo and loosing the concho does make it a much more simple hat by the look of it. Natural colored beaver hats can change colors just by changing the color of the ribbon or bound edge. Hat lightened up in color with just a change of hat band.

Sweat band and liner. My sewing is getting better. New thread helps that some.

Hat band with a two hole blood knot and really short tails

Dang near got everything done today. Probably shouldn't have worked on my hat if I really wanted to get it all done :rolleyes: And yes I know...it looks like all the other big hats I own.:confused:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I'll add Randy Quaid as Clell Miller in The Long Riders.
IMG_9952.jpg

IMG_9954.jpg
Greetings HJ et al:
Now that’s one fine hat paying tribute to the Millers. My Smokeys can’t keep up with that one. Well, maybe one.
Be well. Bowen
BE125FBD-65A8-483B-B480-D5303D7BE4BF.jpeg

DaveSobel

New in Town
All the movie photos this morning got me rethinking what I wanted in my newest hat. Down that rabbit hole I went!

I changed the hat band color and added some shape. Too many Vaquero flat hats around here any :) Never been my style.

Hat is big enough that I decided I wanted something that looked a little more simple and plain while keeping the basic open crown and most of the size. Hard to tell from the photos what has changed. My fault, bad photos. But the change to a medium saddle tan hat band from the dark red latigo and loosing the concho does make it a much more simple hat by the look of it. Natural colored beaver hats can change colors just by changing the color of the ribbon or bound edge. Hat lightened up in color with just a change of hat band.

Sweat band and liner. My sewing is getting better. New thread helps that some.

Hat band with a two hole blood knot and really short tails

Dang near got everything done today. Probably shouldn't have worked on my hat if I really wanted to get it all done :rolleyes: And yes I know...it looks like all the other big hats I own.:confused:
That’s a really nice looking hat. Did you get the brim shape by hand, or did you use something to help form it?

Yahoody

One Too Many
That’s a really nice looking hat. Did you get the brim shape by hand, or did you use something to help form it?

Thanks Dave. All by hand. Frustrating at times. Makes one want "da machines" real hat makers use :confused:

With my head shape ( xxl LO) I have found adding a small pencil curl to the back half really helps to keep the hat much flatter. Tried something new today on a very similar big brim hat and had a mess mid way through. Finally gave up on what I was trying to do, added a small beginning of a pencil curl and...whamm bamm! Hat was wearable again in short order. Pencil curl will keep the rain from running down the middle of your back as well :rolleyes:

I use a tea kettle and found forming a few inches at a time does it . Problem I have with the xxl LO is the sides start to curl up and the front and back go down. A Taco hats is not the shape I wanta wear!

Until just prior to making my own hats I never realized just how much head shape, amount of hair and how tight you want to wear your hat influenced the finished brim shape.

DaveSobel

New in Town
Thanks Dave. All by hand. Frustrating at times. Makes one want "da machines" real hat makers use :confused:

With my head shape ( xxl LO) I have found adding a small pencil curl to the back half really helps to keep the hat much flatter. Tried something new today on a very similar big brim hat and had a mess mid way through. Finally gave up on what I was trying to do, added a small beginning of a pencil curl and...whamm bamm! Hat was wearable again in short order. Pencil curl will keep the rain from running down the middle of your back as well :rolleyes:

I use a tea kettle and found forming a few inches at a time does it . Problem I have with the xxl LO is the sides start to curl up and the front and back go down. A Taco hats is not the shape I wanta wear!

Until just prior to making my own hats I never realized just how much head shape, amount of hair and how tight you want to wear your hat influenced the finished brim shape.
Thanks for the reply. I’ve recently begun making hats, and it is very difficult and frustrating to form the brims by hand. Just did my first western the other night, and it was definitely a pain. The curves on yours are very smooth from what I can see.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Great start on that one Yahoody. I do love the Winchester beaver bodies. I have one on the block now in sand color that will have a Montana Peak crown and 4" pencil curled brim. I've thoroughly enjoyed your hat making tutorial and other postings. Btw, if you're the fella that ordered the hat tools from me, they will be mailed tomorrow via priority mail and should be there by Monday latest.

Yahoody

One Too Many
After wet blocking I am just getting started on the crown of this 100% beaver blank with 400 grit. This is the end result of 10 minutes work. 10 minutes more and I'll be using 600 grit. And I'll stop at 800 grit.

Hoping this is a good enough picture to show the crown sides just getting started sanding and the top untouched for the moment.

Midway through top and sides pouncing

Mind you that is just the felt off the crown @ 400. The "dust" will get less and less as I go to a higher grit sand paper.

Yahoody

One Too Many
Great start on that one Yahoody. I do love the Winchester beaver bodies...... Btw, if you're the fella that ordered the hat tools from me, they will be mailed tomorrow via priority mail and should be there by Monday latest.

I be that fella:eek: Thanks Rick! Having a new rounding jack is gonna make my life so much easier :D

Yahoody

One Too Many
I wanted to thank Scott, "cornshucker77" again for the loan of his block. I never would have been able to get these hats done in such short order without his help. Much appreciated Scott ;).

Here is what I have been working on. All beaver, in black, natural and silver belly. Black is blocked, pelted, flamed and trimmed. Natural is blocked and partially pelted, the silver belly I just wet blocked this morning. So it will need to dry 24 hours before I get started pouncing it.

For those that have wondered. The black hat has been blocked and finished on a 24" modified dome block. Once it was totally finished, sweat and liner in, I decided not to use the hat myself. I then stripped the body and wet blocked it again on Scott's 22.5" block. Worked perfect.

With some warm tap water the 24" hat felted down on the block to 21.5" in short order, no problem.

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
I wanted to thank Scott, "cornshucker77" again for the loan of his block. I never would have been able to get these hats done in such short order without his help. Much appreciated Scott ;).

Here is what I have been working on. All beaver, in black, natural and silver belly. Black is blocked, pelted, flamed and trimmed. Natural is blocked and partially pelted, the silver belly I just wet blocked this morning. So it will need to dry 24 hours before I get started pouncing it.

For those that have wondered. The black hat has been blocked and finished on a 24" modified dome block. Once it was totally finished, sweat and liner in, I decided not to use the hat myself. I then stripped the body and wet blocked it again on Scott's 22.5" block. Worked perfect.

With some warm tap water the 24" hat felted down on the block to 21.5" in short order, no problem.

No problem. Glad to help. I'm happy to see your work on here!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass