Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making "Mutt" Work - Style guide to biker jackets

skippymchaggis

New in Town
scottyrocks said:
I would love a brown version of this classic mc jacket. Have never been able to find one, though. Hmm, maybe I'll take a look-see 'round the net.

I know it's probably not an original suggestion, and the details might not be exactly the same, but I would imagine an Aero Bootlegger in brown might work. not sure who else does a lot in brown leather, and Aero is the only company I've dealt with.

Feraud

Bartender
crazylegsmurphy said:
Hey All,

So as many of you know I have recently purchased a "Mutt" Jacket from Wested Leather.

I would really like to get out and wear it, but because I live in a place where cowboys/farmers/bikers are quite prevalent I would like to "dress up" the jacket to avoid looking like the following.

http://www.razmatazentertainment.com/images/biker_dudes.jpg

Or of course the Ramones

http://untossedcoin.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/ramones-pared.jpg

I am wondering if you guys (with and without this type of jacket) would like to help figure out some ideas to "class" the jacket up a bit and make it look trendy and cool. Lets concentrate on the jacket, and any outfits that will go with the jacket. If we can find some ideas for everything from the hat all the way to the shoes, it might be helpful to all of us trying to avoid looking like any of the pics above.

Any ideas?

What kind of clothes do you normally wear?
If you do not wear biker gear then wearing your mc jacket with your everyday clothes should achieve your goal.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
skippymchaggis said:
I know it's probably not an original suggestion, and the details might not be exactly the same, but I would imagine an Aero Bootlegger in brown might work. not sure who else does a lot in brown leather, and Aero is the only company I've dealt with.

Im pretty wide open right now when it comes to the jacket's style. Im sort of an 'I'll-know-it-when-I-see-it' type of guy. I also am always looking for a good deal, and Aero is generally out of my price range.

I dont ride anymore, but have tended, in the last few years, to move away from the traditionally styled jacket discussed here, and more towards the collarless, zip-up-the middle, racing style jacket. I have two of those now that I wear all the time. One is black with white piping, and the other is an Icon retro model with a yellow body and black sleeves. I guess Im looking for something like these two, but in brown.

In looking just now, these are kind of what appeal to me:
http://images.myleather.com/imagesproc/51544_H_SH315_MW355.jpg
http://www.bigfoottrading.com/image_manager/attributes/image/image_5/40847840_8843595_thumbnail.JPG

And even though the zipper is on the side, I do like this one, mainly because of the two shades of brown, and their placement on the jacket:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Y8UCJM...e=380333&creativeASIN=B000Y8UCJM&linkCode=asn

skippymchaggis

New in Town
scottyrocks said:
Im pretty wide open right now when it comes to the jacket's style. Im sort of an 'I'll-know-it-when-I-see-it' type of guy. I also am always looking for a good deal, and Aero is generally out of my price range.

I dont ride anymore, but have tended, in the last few years, to move away from the traditionally styled jacket discussed here, and more towards the collarless, zip-up-the middle, racing style jacket. I have two of those now that I wear all the time. One is black with white piping, and the other is an Icon retro model with a yellow body and black sleeves. I guess Im looking for something like these two, but in brown.

In looking just now, these are kind of what appeal to me:
http://images.myleather.com/imagesproc/51544_H_SH315_MW355.jpg
http://www.bigfoottrading.com/image_manager/attributes/image/image_5/40847840_8843595_thumbnail.JPG

And even though the zipper is on the side, I do like this one, mainly because of the two shades of brown, and their placement on the jacket:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Y8UCJM...e=380333&creativeASIN=B000Y8UCJM&linkCode=asn

i like the one from Amazon. I've been find myself preferring cleaner lines. too many pockets starts to jar, but that's just my taste.

to get back on topic:

it looks like the original poster (OP) has an idea about what he likes already. and based on what the examples, it seems like if he keeps himself fairly clean cut, he might present the image he wants. but the regardless, it would be silly to ignore that the traditional motorcycle jacket, or any easily recognizable article of clothing, is going to trigger some sort of memory response in the viewer. if you don't like the most common response, you might not like wearing the clothes.

Here's my new Aero Bootlegger...stiff and just out of the box..with a newsboy. I do think that the Bootlegger comes across as more conservative or utility than the classic motorcycle style jacket. Not sure the cap would go so well with traditional chrome accents on black leather,though.....

IMG_0110.jpg

HD

nrvnqsrxk

New in Town
I think the key to making this style work, and not come off as a punk band wannabe would be to keep the jacket partially zipped. When completely undone, it hangs to the side in an unsightly way.

To avoid looking like a punker:

-Avoid wearing a white undershirt
-Stay AWAY from skinny jeans
-Make sure your hair is not long <---- This.

Or else you'll end up looking like these:

Try different dress shirts or vests under your jacket. I think these styles may be more of what you're talking about:

GreyHaas

New in Town
I've been thinking about this too lately. I think a lot of it really has to do with the hairstyle worn with it. Also try some pants that aren't jeans.

Picture+4.png

jimmy+kimble%3F.jpg

I've found a lot more useful pics here. Just go back a few pages.

Also, hello everyone. I'm new here. After months of lurking I'm finally posting.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Timeless

There is an alternative, a variation of what I wore ridding in the 70s and early 80s. I wore a dress style shirt with the top two buttons undone, very rebel back then, white, blue or red, for a date, 501 jeans, Ray Ban sunglasses Aviators, and my black JC Pennys Brando jacket. You could substitute loafers or dress casual shoes for my ridding boots. It is a pretty timeless look!

STW

Familiar Face
crazylegsmurphy said:
river_road_basic_motorcycle_jacket.jpg

torture_squad.jpg

So, what is the difference?
Um...the haircut. Maybe the fairly recent shave.

The trad Buco style motorcycle jacket may have been fully and permanently taken over by rock and roll and/or bad biker image since those older catalog images were made. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But if you want to recuperate the nattier look in those catalogue images, then the brown bootlegger that HD sports seems like a pretty good way to do it. The other suggestions of brass zips, etc., also might give the Buco style a wider use outside Rocker/Biker bada$$.

For the very reasons you mention, I didn't even mess with this Buco style but chose another 40s/50s style for a black riding jacket as found in the Lewis Dominator/Lost Worlds Suburban/Aero Ace Cafe-Highwayman. Works for riding but has a wider range of use not tied down to that (admittedly great) iconic look of the Brando-Buco jacket.

MCrider

A-List Customer
While I very seldom wear my Brando-style jacket when I'm not riding, I do wear jeans (and not the stylish cut up jeans) with a colored tshirt and my riding boots (or cowboy boots if not riding). But I do remember seeing a guy from time to time that actually wore a white dress shirt under the jacket with pressed jeans and the jacket zipped halfway up. I remember that even while I thought it was an odd combo, I had to admit he looked rather stylish. Try either or both and see what fits with your style.

ron521

One of the Regulars
I once saw a photograph of a group of Asian-americans which was taken during the 1930's. Most were dressed as you would expect anyone to dress during those years....except one fellow who was obviously wearing dark slacks, a fedora, and a Schott Perfecto motorcycle jacket (or a clone).

I'd never seen these items worn together, but it actually looked good, not like he was trying to be a badass or anything.

Bascially, a Perfecto is a shortened trench coat, so anything that looks good with a trench coat might look good with a Perfecto.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
I've owned '50s Brimaco 'D- pocket', '60s Lewis Leather Bronx & '70s Schott Perfecto motorcycle jackets over the years, and finally decided to get rid of the last one (the Perfecto) a coupla months back.

Personally, I agree that unless a motorcycle jacket has a really great patina, you can end up looking like a nebbish heavy metaller, but that's the nature of modern culture: the general public possess no sense of context.

Au contraire, I found that a herringbone wool Gatsby went very well with the Perfecto. However, I do second the idea of cuffed jeans (Levi's shrink-to-fit would be a widely available choice, but I like the vintage range, when I can afford it). A good'n'baggy pair of khakis with a stout belt also worked. In winter, a white tee with one of those five-button US GI sweaters (readily available on Ebay for $15 or so, but make sure it's wool, not acrylic) plus a scarf tucked inside looked pretty snat. And a pair of stout boots – Red Wing or Carolina engineer boot, possibly even brogue shorties or 'rough out' issue clodhoppers?

I think that the real trick, to avoid looking like one of the psychobilly crowd, is to have no badges/patches and keep to the workwear ethic.

Me? I sold the Perfecto to part-fund an Aero Highwayman, which is a more versatile/less 'socially inhibiting' option, IMHO. And I LOVE the Ramones (but not as much as Mose Allison, if forced to make a straight choice).

You quite often see Perfectos for sale in brown, non? That'd be nice...

jeep44

One of the Regulars
They look really good with a '67 Triumph or a '59 Harley,too. I wouldn't even consider wearing my Perfecto unless I was on one of my bikes. It is first and foremost a motorcycle jacket.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
jeep44 said:
They look really good with a '67 Triumph or a '59 Harley,too. I wouldn't even consider wearing my Perfecto unless I was on one of my bikes. It is first and foremost a motorcycle jacket.
I ride yet I choose not to wear a Perfecto style jacket just because of its many negative connotations already mentioned above. For me, a cafe racer style jacket functions just as well and doesn't carry so much cultural baggage.

Here's a cafe style with a shirt collar.

252200e6689hblkfrt-1.jpg

Frankly, I think it screams wannabe if you wear one and don't own a mc.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
I've got an assortment of motorcycle jackets-Barbour, Cafe style,and several perfectos. I used to think I'd never have a Perfecto-style jacket,for many of the negative connotations reasons but now that I do have them,they have turned into my favorites for riding. One is a size bigger than the other, which is nice when I need something warmer under it.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
captaincaveman1 said:
I ride yet I choose not to wear a Perfecto style jacket just because of its many negative connotations already mentioned above. For me, a cafe racer style jacket functions just as well and doesn't carry so much cultural baggage.

Here's a cafe style with a shirt collar.

252200e6689hblkfrt-1.jpg

Frankly, I think it screams wannabe if you wear one and don't own a mc.

Interesting. I think that particular jacket looks okay on non-riders. I don't have one, but the design is timeless and close to a utility jacket. Bruce Willis in Surrogates wears a similar jacket. If you wear one that isn't skin tight it's an okay street wear look, I think. It also raises the question: Do MC riders ever look wannabe? The answer would have to be "yes". Just becasue you have a bike doesn't mean you don't look like a gimp in your gear... It's a subtle and subjective thing this clothing business... :)

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Seb Lucas said:
Interesting. I think that particular jacket looks okay on non-riders. I don't have one, but the design is timeless and close to a utility jacket. Bruce Willis in Surrogates wears a similar jacket. If you wear one that isn't skin tight it's an okay street wear look, I think. It also raises the question: Do MC riders ever look wannabe? The answer would have to be "yes". Just becasue you have a bike doesn't mean you don't look like a gimp in your gear... It's a subtle and subjective thing this clothing business... :)

This style is a Schott 689 horsehide. I just happened to be wearing it at a friend's farm today. Here's what it looks like broken in. Yes, I think the goat is smiling too. haha.

Untitled-2.jpg

Bassman

A-List Customer
ron521 said:
....except one fellow who was obviously wearing dark slacks, a fedora, and a Schott Perfecto motorcycle jacket (or a clone).

I'd never seen these items worn together, but it actually looked good, not like he was trying to be a badass or anything.

This'll sound like a shameless name-dropping post but in '75 I usually wore Levis, t-shirt, sneakers or work shoes, Stetson fedora (from a thrift store) and the typical black, multi zipper biker jacket. This was right before I got hip to the Ramones (who I love!) I was definatly NOT a badass.
The name-dropping part is, that's what I was wearing to the Bottom Line for a Captain Beefheart show where Diane Keaton was sitting at the next table and giving me the eye, whereupon I promptly choked and looked the other way. Oh...what could have been....:eusa_doh:

And I realize it's a different era, but I very much like the look of Dinerman's catalog shots of the dress shirt and tie under the different style leather jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner