Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maltese Falcon Crease

kaosharper1

One Too Many
jimmy the lid said:
Yup. Hand-creased diamond with a distinctive rake, a moderately sharp pinch in the front, and shallow, barely perceptible side dents...;)

Cheers,
JtL

The side points of the diamond seem to almost not be there. The profile is arched though the pictures clearly show points. It almost looks like an oval with sharp points at the front and back. Also, the front crease is pretty sharp, but no real dents. I think you need a pretty tall crown to pull it off.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
vintage Matt Andrews?

Tram said:
Wil, I like that lid and bash. What is that hat? I just ordered a Fed in moonstone and I'm going to give it a similar bash.

Thanks, I never heard of the maker but I dig the lid & the colour, I got it off the bay some time ago, I posted a thread on it this morning

Thanks for clarifying that The Maltese Falcon bash is indeed diamond shaped
smiley-chores033.gif

----------------
Now playing: Cake - I will survive
via FoxyTunes lol

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Bogie-Bashing a Fed IV

Here's what I did to my tawny fawn Fed IV. Without reference to that web page that shows Bogie's Maltese Falcon fedora from several angles, I followed Kaosharper1's instructions as well as I could. What he did with his carbon grey Fed III is fantastic. Here are my results:

DMAdv11.jpg
Spade5.jpg

DMAdv6.jpg
Spade3.jpg

Compared to the real Bogie bash, I have an elongated teardrop rather than a camouflaged diamond, and I have a center dome instead of a dent, which is all fine with me, because I think a domed center looks more refined than a wrinkly dish. But the profile seems to nail it pretty well. At the time that I did this bash, I feared that I put too much rake in it, but Bogie's hat had a bit more.

carter

I'll Lock Up
JohnnyB53, Your tawny fawn Fed IV looks outstanding! Super job on the crease. I like the elongated teardrop and the domed center. Nice.

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
I tried to do something close to a stingy brim. My hat is bashed with a higher teardrop, because I hate the feeling of wearing a hat high on the head. I think Bogart's hat actually looks more tapered as well.
IMG_4078.jpg

IMG_4077.jpg

IMG_4075.jpg

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
carter said:
JohnnyB53, Your tawny fawn Fed IV looks outstanding! Super job on the crease. I like the elongated teardrop and the domed center. Nice.
Thank you, Carter. Coming from you that means a lot.

metropd

One Too Many
I apologized because I felt I was too harsh. Please don't report me to the Crease Police Internal Affairs Department. I felt at the time of the incident I took appropriate force to imply that Bogart's hat was a diamond crown with a tighter pinch. I exercised control of the situation by posting a link to multiple pictures of Bogart's Maltese Falcon fedora. Chief Jimmy the Lid I worked so hard to be on the Crease Police, Please!

indycop

I'll Lock Up
metropd said:
I apologized because I felt I was too harsh. Please don't report me to the Crease Police Internal Affairs Department. I felt at the time of the incident I took appropriate force to imply that Bogart's hat was a diamond crown with a tighter pinch. I exercised control of the situation by posting a link to multiple pictures of Bogart's Maltese Falcon fedora. Chief Jimmy the Lid I worked so hard to be on the Crease Police, Please!
Metro any thing you say can and will be used against you, I need you to come with me now. What size concrete shoe do you wear?;) :D

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Bogie used Light Felt

I wasn't able to get the Fed to have quite the same look because the felt is too thick. It's clear from the pictures that Bogie's hat was a thin, Summer felt, like the kind you would wear in Southern California. I've been thinking of asking Art to make up a 1930s type open crown in his light felt so I could try to duplicate that bash correctly.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
metropd said:

With a handle like "metropd" -- it is clear that you were the cop on the beat at the time the crime was committed. You took appropriate action by drawing a chalk outline on the sidewalk in the shape of a teardrop, and then putting up police crime tape at the scene. Indeed, your use of force was appropriate, and you limited your intervention to a decisive display of multiple images of Bogie's Maltese Falcon fedora. Metropd, you are hereby issued a certificate of commendation, and you shall remain on the beat -- an ever-vigilant member of the Crease Police...:D

Cheers,
JtL

indycop

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
With a handle like "metropd" -- it is clear that you were the cop on the beat at the time the crime was committed. You took appropriate action by drawing a chalk outline on the sidewalk in the shape of a teardrop, and then putting up police crime tape at the scene. Indeed, your use of force was appropriate, and you limited your intervention to a decisive display of multiple images of Bogie's Maltese Falcon fedora. Metropd, you are hereby issued a certificate of commendation, and you shall remain on the beat -- an ever-vigilant member of the Crease Police...:D

Cheers,
JtL
Dang:rage: Does that mean I don't get to use the concrete overshoes? I have been waiting patiently!:eusa_doh:

carter

I'll Lock Up
indycop said:
Dang:rage: Does that mean I don't get to use the concrete overshoes? I have been waiting patiently!:eusa_doh:
Nope. But you can break out those Chinese fingercuffs you've been wanting to use.

metropd

One Too Many
jimmy the lid said:

Cheers,
JtL

Thanks Chief.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner