Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Malware

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I just want to let people here know that my PC was hacked today via Facebook. It sends out a post saying "You must see this video!", or words to that effect. A number of my Lounge friends got it. It's a bad worm called Facekoob. Don't fall for it if you receive it from some one else.
That is all . . . .

Talbot

One Too Many
dhermann1,

I got a nasty malware attack a while back (never let your daughters friend use your computer:mad: ) When I was googling the error message I was getting I found these guys:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/

Mods: if this is inappropriate in some way pls delete with my apols. Part of the forum is dedicated to reversing malware attacks.

I joined the forum and they assigned me a case manager. He/she sent me some software to diagnose the malware. Seems I had three - misery loves company. Over the next few nights my case manager walked me through running the patches that eradicated my virii.

They also showed me how to reconfigure my PC for better security. I had firewall, malware and virus protection, but it turns out it aint that simple.

Cost to me $0.00. I'm not affiliated with these guys in any way, but will always be grateful.

I hope your credit card details etc are still private.

Good luck,

Talbot

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I use my Wife's 5 yr oldAcer laptop and have never had any virus problems. We use free/OSS anti-virus, Firefox, No-Script, good old xp-Pro and we spend more time on the internet than anyone else we know.
We have had no problems in 5 yrs. Amazing.

I just can't wait to get my 1999 "vintage" graphite G4/21" (crt!)Studio Display out of storage!

Famous last words- I'll be getting a virus about now...

B
T

Geronimo

One of the Regulars
Still nothing...
Might want to download Malwarebytes and do a scan just to make sure. It's one of the best programs I've ever dealt with.

Facebook has some hostile applications that not only take your profile info, but (supposedly) your password as well. So be careful when dealing with those.

And watch out when creating a password for forums. The legit sites hash your passwords. The bad ones store your password as plain text. If it's plain text, the admin can get your password and, in many cases, log into your email account with it - because a lot of people use the same password everywhere.

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
I've had good results with Malwarebytes. I also occasionally use Eusing Registry cleaner. Not sure how much that helps, though.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
As a Mac user, I've been fortunate to whistle past the graveyard ever since that worm 8 or 9 years back that went thru email and just sent dummy messages all over the place.

I have the feeling the first Mac virus will be Biblical in scope. We've kind of got it coming. It will not only turn your hard drive into an overbrowned bit of Holland Rusk while slashing your credit rating and throwing your passwords to the four winds, it will divert your bank balance to Somali pirate captains, give you 12 years of unpaid traffic tickets, put you on sex offender warning lists in all surrounding counties, set the IRS on your tail for fictitious back taxes, and send Animal Control out to repossess your cat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk