Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Manhattans

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
I must say Wild Turkey 101, which is my preferred bourbon of the lower-priced options (yeah, I definitely prefer it to Makers Mark; so sue me) seems to be a bit too much for a Manhattan. So is WT Rye. The higher proof seems to overpower the other flavors. I go with Sazerac for Manhattans and Old Fashioneds, WT (rye or bourbon) for drinking neat.

Retrobeme

New in Town
Rkrdo-
Like you, I have been exploring making better Manhattans. Like you, I have wanted to try Rittenhouse Rye whiskey but have waited due to the price (Shipping.) So far I find the Elijah Craig my Bourbon of choice and have only tried a few Rye Whiskeys' with the Sazerac the most enjoying of the lot. In terms of vermouth I like the sweet vermouth and prefer Punt E Mes over the Noilly Prat, though I haven't tried the others. Good Luck in your search.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
if I wasn't on 3 different kinds of decongestants right now (just came back from a gig and had to sing through the summer cold) I would be joining you in a frosty Maker's Mark Mahnattan!
I also love them with Blanton's, and I like the perfect version as much as the imperfect version. I need to go buy some decent cherries, though.
The Mahattan is pretty much all I drink unless someone else is hosting, and mixing, then I'll try anything! As long as it has no coffee flavored stuff in it. Allergic to coffee.

rikrdo

A-List Customer
My latest recipe:

3 Parts Old Overholt Rye
1 part Noilly Prat Sweet vermouth
splash of Martini and Rossi Dry vermouth
7-8 drops Peychauds Bitters

all Stirred and strained into chilly Martini glass.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
3:1 Jim Beam Yellow and Noilly Prat Red. Shaken.

I spoke to a guy from Buffolo Trace who is a big fan of the Manhattan and subsequently received a bottle of their Sazarac Rye - need to get some more vermouth now though.

There is another red vermouth that is recommended, but it eludes me at the moment...

CigarMan

One of the Regulars
I have to agree with scotrace, this is probably the perfect recipe. Maker's Mark is the best.

scotrace said:
Manhattans are my favourite.

Ice to fill a single-serve shaker, 2 shots Maker's Mark, about a 3/4 shot sweet vermouth, dash of dry vermouth, and a couple of drops of Angostura bitters. Shake the stuffing out of it and strain into a cocktail glass. Add a cherry if you like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany