Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Man's shirt collar for a full face???

BigLittleTim

Familiar Face
Gentlemen,

Which shirt collar looks best on those of us of a short, stocky physique and a round face?

I thought you should accentuate your natural features, not fight them. A wide body and face would need a Windsor collar and Windsor tie knot; a lean body and face would need a traditional pointed collar and a four-in-hand tie knot.

Your comments are always most instructive.

Yours,

BigLittleTim

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
BigLittleTim said:
I thought you should accentuate your natural features, not fight them.

If you consider those features to be appealing to yourself and others, then you can do the above.

As an alternative, try having a shirtmaker whip up this collar for you:

262f_1.jpg
266a_1.jpg

Or perhaps this one:

LEF475b.jpg

BruceTracy

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
If you consider those features to be appealing to yourself and others, then you can do the above.

As an alternative, try having a shirtmaker whip up this collar for you:

262f_1.jpg
266a_1.jpg

Or perhaps this one:

LEF475b.jpg
The narrow openings of the pictured collars lead me to think of a tab collar.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
BruceTracy said:
The narrow-openings of the previously pictured collars in this thread lead me to think of a tab collar.

There's a similarity ... except that tab collars (the classic ones from the 1920s to the '60s, not the 1980s/'90s versions) were rectangular-shaped. The points had 90 degree angles. (See below for a 1930s version.)

Morephotos003.jpg

BigLittleTim

Familiar Face
Is there a name for the tab collar with rounded edges? I think Brooks Bros. calls it a "golf collar".

These examples are not only very narrow collars, but extremely short in length of point. I'm worried that something this small will make me look like Porky Pig. :)

For lapels on evening clothes I was taught: broad shawl lapel for broad guys; narrow pointed lapels for tall skinny guys. Does the same go for shirt collars?

BigLittleTim

Familiar Face
BEAUTIFUL detachable collars! Is Nick making bespoke clothing just for his own use or for the public at large? These are so lovely, they make me want to get some collar-less shirts and wear these. They could pass for vintage.

-BigLittleTim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot