Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Marine Now Rests With Comrades on USS Arizona

RHY

One of the Regulars
Dec. 7 survivor's ashes placed in ship

POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Dec 24, 2011 StarAdvertiser.com

By Sarah Zoellick

Seventy years after Frank R. Cabiness survived the attack on Pearl Harbor, his family brought his ashes back to be laid to rest Friday with his fellow USS Arizona shipmates, still entombed in the sunken battleship.

His son, Jerry, said his father always professed a desire to return to the ship when he died.

Frank Cabiness was born Dec. 3, 1916 -- the same year the USS Arizona was commissioned -- and died May 14, 2002. His family said they were not able to afford the trip to Hawaii until now.

He became the second Marine and 35th person overall to have a request fulfilled to be buried with their Arizona shipmates.

Cabiness, a private first class, was on the flag-raising detail on Dec. 7, 1941, when the Japanese attack began. The ship's forward magazine exploded, throwing him off the decks. Of the 88 Marines assigned to the USS Arizona, Cabiness was one of 15 survivors who received official orders to abandon ship.

After the war Cabiness worked in the oil industry throughout Texas before retiring to Fayetteville, Ark., his family said.

At the Arizona Memorial Friday, Jerry Cabiness was joined by his wife, Cori; his daughter, Catherine Tuck; and his 20-month-old grandson, Sean Tuck. Cabiness handed the urn containing his father's ashes to a group of National Park Service, Navy and Marine divers.

The divers swam away from the Arizona Memorial dock, carefully holding the urn above the choppy water. When they were submerged, there was a rifle salute and taps began to play.

"The Marines did him proud," Cabiness said.

The divers swam down to gun turret No. 4 at the aft-most point of the battleship. Diver Timothy Paul placed the urn in a small opening and let it roll down and settle inside the ship.

"It finds its own way home," said Paul, a park services volunteer diver and former Marine.

Cabiness said his father was a devoted husband and family man who never missed a day of work, a trait the son called the mark of "a true Marine. I can't think of a more honorable man that I'll ever know."

After the ceremony, Cabiness shook the hand of every Marine present.

The Arizona lost 1,177 sailors and Marines, more than any ship or unit. Frank Cabiness was among the 337 crew members who survived.

Everyone present at the ceremony received a flower to toss into the opening near the center of the memorial that looks down to the battleship below.

Copyright (c) Honolulu Star-Advertiser

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
Thank you.
My uncle was a pilot at Hickam Field on December 7, 1941.
He is one of four brothers and they all served and survived the war.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Forgotten Ship

I thought this might be appropriate on those being laid to rest on Pearl Harbours forgotten ship, the USS Utah. http://www.dispatch.co.za/news/article/2476
article-2070918-0F150F3500000578-557_306x423.jpg
article-2070918-0F158AF800000578-643_634x781.jpg
article-2070918-0F156E4D00000578-418_634x404.jpg
2006_12_00_tom_sakiyama_3.jpg

RHY

One of the Regulars
I thought this might be appropriate on those being laid to rest on Pearl Harbours forgotten ship, the USS Utah. http://www.dispatch.co.za/news/article/2476
article-2070918-0F150F3500000578-557_306x423.jpg
article-2070918-0F158AF800000578-643_634x781.jpg
article-2070918-0F156E4D00000578-418_634x404.jpg
2006_12_00_tom_sakiyama_3.jpg

Please put this as a seperate topic. Most people don't know about the Utah and they should get equal recognition as the Arizona survivors do. The photos are excellent and the aerial view of the Utah is rarely seen. The photos alone deserve a seperate listing.

Brwnwd99

New in Town
"Here’s health to you and to our Corps
Which we are proud to serve;
In many a strife we’ve fought for life
And never lost our nerve;
If the Army and the Navy
Ever look on Heaven’s scenes;
They will find the streets are guarded
By United States Marines.”

Semper Fidelis!

samtemporary