Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matchy-matchy or not so much-y?

Lotta Little

One of the Regulars
I know these days there aren't any rules about matching shoes, bag, and belt, etc, but I still like my undergarments to look like a "set" and my lips and nails to be similar shades. How about you? Are you "matchy-matchy" too?

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No, not usually. I do like to match my shoes and bags sometimes, but I like to work with a complementary palette rather than one that's too matchy. Too matchy looks costumey to me! [huh]

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I do like my handbag and shoes to match, belt maybe, unless the dress has a self-fabric belt.

I don't care so much about my undergarments, but do like them all the same color.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Well, my nails are unpolished (clear polish, when I get around to it), so my lips better not match my nails! lol

I try to go with complementary colors instead of exact matches, myself. And I generally stick with one handbag...so matching shoes & bag exactly is out of the question!

Yes, I have a boring accessories wardrobe. :)

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
I am so not matchy.
I never wear polish, so that's moot. Until 2 months ago when I decided to splurge on a set, matching underwear was unheard of in my bureau. I tend to use the same bag for months regardless of the outfit (which I really need to change, as Hello Kitty does not really go with business attire :eek:).

I pretty much only go so far as to make sure all the colors work together (whether similar or complementary) and my shoes look ok with the outfit. And that's it.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I would but I can't. Well, colorwise or at least follow some sort of theme, I do try. I can match a few pieces of undergarments but I don't really make an effort in that department, other than it should be clean and well fitting of course.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
My undies are matched always. Just a weird thing I have, but it goes back to my mom always saying, "You should have clean, matching underwear. You never know when you'll get in an accident and someone will see." The only other thing I match are vintage jewelry sets - chokers and clip earrings, for example. Other than that, I'm happy with just coordinating colors or patterns.

miss_elise

Practically Family
Lily Powers said:
Just a weird thing I have, but it goes back to my mom always saying, "You should have clean, matching underwear. You never know when you'll get in an accident and someone will see."
i do think of that.... and then i think about if I were in that serious an accident they would probably have to cut my nice matching underwear off me on the operating table... and that would make me sad...

so not particularly matching in the underwear department...

when I'm going somewhere nice I like to have my handbag match or complement by shoes... the shoes being the most important part... and the jewellery has to go together... perferably a set but I am partial to mix and match

Foofoogal

Banned
The older I get the more matchy matchy I am getting. Trying to revive the memories of ladys matching years ago. :)
I am obsessed currently with emerald green. Like seriously so.
Looking for the perfect emerald green dress to go with my emerald green cardigan.
Moved recently so limited in my activities which makes this obsession into overdrive.

maybelaughter

Familiar Face
i'm a bit OCD in the matching department... i've mellowed out a bit lately, but i've always had to match everything. i think it's in the blood - when my dad was in school (60's), he would have a pair of socks in every color of shirt he owned, and always matched them.
my undergarments always match, because i'm boring and only buy flesh-colored things! (i have one black set, and a few denim-colored undies for when i wear "normal" jeans, just in case)
i used to change my purse everyday to match what i was wearing, but i found a nice big cheery yellow one and have been using it constantly - it's just so cheery in the winter! so i'm overcoming my matchy-matchiness, but i don't think it will ever go away entirely. i get really frustrated with things being different shades of the same color, which is kind of weird. i'd rather have two different colors than having greens that just aren't the same.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have strong feelings about my gloves matching my shoes -- I can't make myself leave the house wearing brown gloves with black shoes, or vice versa. And on days when I wear my hair up under a kerchief, I make sure it coordinates with the rest of what I'm wearing.

Undies aren't an issue -- all I own is plain white. Except for the pinkish and greenish ones that got that way in the washing.

Emer

One of the Regulars
My nails and lips I do like to match, at least if my nails are painted red! That's about all I try to match, because I agree, it looks costumey if you do too much at once. But I do make sure my undergarments match my outfit. I have this odd little fear about having to be rushed to the hospital, the paramedics cutting off my clothes, and me having anything less than a stellar set of undies and bra. I want one of the EMTs to say, "BP steady! Ooh, her lingerie matches her dress! Vitals normal!" lol

Vintage Verve

New in Town
I tend to buy my underwear in sets. Three piece if I can (bra, panties and g-string). Even my flesh toned bras usually have matching bottoms.

Not that Mr VV tends to notice any more (ah, familiarity.....) but when we first moved in together he was impressed with all my matchy matchy underwear. I guess that's always been my 'thing'. Even when nobody else can see, I know and it always makes me feel good - which is the main thing.

I would LOVE to match my shoes and bags. Unfortunately that would require a second mortgage to keep my bag collection in line with my current shoe obsession :eek:

Lillemor

One Too Many
Top and bottom has to match for me. If I wear white shoes, I want them to have black heels and soles. If they don't I'll wear something white in my hair. I generally prefer black footwear so it matches my hair and that's why I've nearly always owned black handbags and black gloves. If I get white summer gloves, then I'll have to get a white hat at the same time. If fx. I could afford a wardrobe of different colored shoes, then I'd get hair accessories or hats in the same color. I don't know why I've developed this silly rule.

Mary

Practically Family
Storeroad lady, tell me more of what you think is complementary colours.
I know that it has been brought up in other treads. I believe Jitterbugdoll had photos of the combo navy and orange that was popular in teh 40's. I'll see if i can find it.

I really like unexpected mixes that look good but I believe I generally am quite conservative and use colours that blend. :(

M

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I love matched bra and pantie sets (in fact I have made a concerted effort to get more matching going on!) It makes me feel more feminine to know that all my layers are working. I hate having funky underpants (random cottons with a lovely bra is annoying to me!) on when I change with my husband around. I feel so strongly about feeling pretty under your clothes that I want it to be a part of the shop I hope to own one day. I want to carry lingerie and functional underclothes that make you feel pretty under your clothes (along with other things that make life more gracious or simply more enjoyable!)

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
I love to match! Sometimes I don't really have a choice. I match undies, stockings/tights, coat, scarf, jewelry, handbag (this I sometimes forget if I'm in a hurry), and lipstick. Oh, and if I'm out dancing in full war paint I like to match the eyeshadow too. I don't wear nail polish so often because it would have to match every day, and I'm too lazy to change it that often. It's usually a color scheme: cool colors or warm colors, marine colors (red, white, blue), a vibrant color and a subtle one (fuchsia and black), etc. I would go even further if my wardrobe (wallet) was larger. Sadly I'm very limited in the shoe department: black, white, brown; with a few summery exceptions. The only hats I own are one in straw and a couple berets :eek:
I enjoy unexpected old-fashioned color combos on others, like Mary mentioned above. I think my simple way of matching colors is pretty 50s*, and the more surprising palettes are older... am I correct?

* (and pretty anal)

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
The one thing that I really like to match is my lipstick and the clothes I am wearing....Sometime in the 90's (?) it became very passe to coordinate your lip shade with your sweater, or the same speckled pink that was in a multicolored blouse, etc. etc. but I think that is silly poo-poo.

I can't think of a time when I haven't worn red lipstick with a red blouse...What are you supposed to wear? Like a neutral nude?? Eww. :)
I am of the belief "When in doubt, go red" but I do have lipstick shades of orange, dark brown and raisin to match my clothing.

This gal has matching dress, makeup, jewelry, fingernail polish....Sigh. I am not *this* coordinated, but she shore looks purdy.

50s_sewing.jpg

And Lizzie Maine...I so with you on the shoes and belt matching....can't leave the house unless they do. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters