Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maternal Dissaproval

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
CCHGN, she needs to be told she is being ridiculous
That's one option.......

Another option would be to acquiesce to her demands when in her company and do as you please when not in her company. As it stands you will only see her on school breaks and after that much less frequently as the years go by. That is, unless you plan on living with your folks after college.:eeek:

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
This conversation is becoming ludicrous! We are looking for deep intellectual meanings and menopausal reasons for the woman being a bitty. Lets just call a spade a spade. Kid you mom is a stuck up busy body that needs to cut the apron strings, and you need to assert your manhood

Whoa now, let's not get out of hand here. Best we don't ruin anybody's holiday season nor insult someone's mother over the internet behind a computer screen.. Just saying.

Now, I may not be a gentleman of your stature with your very fine hat, but this is business. I'm here for business. This is just a gorram hat we're talking about. There is no need to destroy a bond between a mother and son over a damn hat. Relationships turn awful sour over even stupider things than a mere hat. Let's not ruin anybody's holiday or family relationships, shall we?

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
Family first, friend. Family first.

Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. This job goes south, there well may not be another. So here is us, on the raggedy edge. Don't push her, and she won't push you. Get it?

thecollegeguy123

New in Town
Family first, friend. Family first.

Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. This job goes south, there well may not be another. So here is us, on the raggedy edge. Don't push her, and she won't push you. Get it?

I agree with you. I am only going to wear a little bit more formal clothes, which she told me herself is what should be worn with the fedora. I am not going to argue with her or go out of my way to provoke her. All I will do is wear the clothes and observe her reaction. If she responds negativley, I will drop the issue and not discuss it anymore with her. If she responds positively, I will have won a minor victory.

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
I agree with you. I am only going to wear a little bit more formal clothes, which she told me herself is what should be worn with the fedora. I am not going to argue with her or go out of my way to provoke her. All I will do is wear the clothes and observe her reaction. If she responds negativley, I will drop the issue and not discuss it anymore with her. If she responds positively, I will have won a minor victory.

Sounds like everything's shiny with you and the Mrs.

If the clothes was the cause of this stink, seems like we found out the problem. Best of luck to you. Be sure to give her a hug regardless of the outcome.

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
Regardless. Reading through this, most are hung up on the hat.

That's what the purpose of this thread is, right? Dissapproval of the hat as stated in the original post. Not going to stray from that. We have the set up, why deviate and escalate it to something it's not? So his mother has been hypercrytical of him. Well, who in the damn galaxy doesn't have a parent that does that?

Hell, I thought my dad was getting on my back when I told him I wanted to get a Penman hat or even an Akubra, even if it was my own money paying for it. Turns out he was just trying to teach me a lesson.

So maybe his mom is getting on his back because of the attire going along with the hat. So what, his mom wants him to look respected and well dressed. It isn't rocket science, friend.

According to him, the situation has dissolved. Best we leave it to him and his mother now.

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
Have you read any of his descriptions of her? This is not isolated to the hat. This is a pattern of her being hypercritical and it's been going on his entire life.

I've read through it, yes. Doesn't matter now anyway, he's made up his mind. Sure, he has to gain his own ground. I'm all for it, actually. Just that the fact the majority opinion on the matter has been very sour. What right have we to get up in his business with his mom?

Nevertheless, parents are protective of their children. Some are more critical than others while some aren't at all. Many look down on the world for now lacking any morals. I'm not better than you, friend. I've have my instances where I was doing the same exacting thing from what the majority is saying on this post. Sure, we have gripes and things about our parents that just bother the living life out of us. We all have that, in some form or another.

I have my reasons for defending his mother. Pretty sure his intent on creating this thread wasn't to lash out at his mom, and that's what it looks like. Doesn't matter what my opinion is. There's going to be folks on both sides and some in the middle. It's just what it looks like.

Now, we can go on and debate the issue even more or we can go our own way. I'm all for the latter decision.

I've read through it, yes. Doesn't matter now anyway, he's made up his mind. Sure, he has to gain his own ground. I'm all for it, actually. Just that the fact the majority opinion on the matter has been very sour. What right have we to get up in his business with his mom?

Wer'e not getting up in his business. He asked for opinions, however, and we're giving them to him. Of course, he'll have to be the one to act, or not act, one way or another.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
I wonder if the opinions of the posters on how he should handle this situation can be categorized by age? I'm treading lightly here as to not offend anyone. It seems that the posters, myself included, who insist that Collegeguy should take a "firm" stand against his mother may be under 50, while the ones who are advising that Collegeguy makes some concessions may be older? Also, I wonder if the dynamics of gender roles in America have a lot to do with the opinions? I do know that the rise of feminism rubs a lot of American men the wrong way (not sure how it is in other countries). So a domineering female figure, whether it be a mother, wife, girlfriend, etc...is not taken too kindly because it is seen as trying to keep men "in their place", but then again, I know that if these types of insults were coming from his dad, people would be equally up in arms. Again, please don't take these random thoughts of mine on the subject as personal it's just that these thoughts as well as others have been going through my mind as I read this thread:)

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
I wonder if the opinions of the posters on how he should handle this situation can be categorized by age? I'm treading lightly here as to not offend anyone. It seems that the posters, myself included, who insist that Collegeguy should take a "firm" stand against his mother may be under 50, while the ones who are advising that Collegeguy makes some concessions may be older? Also, I wonder if the dynamics of gender roles in America have a lot to do with the opinions? I do know that the rise of feminism rubs a lot of American men the wrong way (not sure how it is in other countries). So a domineering female figure, whether it be a mother, wife, girlfriend, etc...is not taken too kindly because it is seen as trying to keep men "in their place", but then again, I know that if these types of insults were coming from his dad, people would be equally up in arms. Again, please don't take these random thoughts of mine on the subject as personal it's just that these thoughts as well as others have been going through my mind as I read this thread:)

Very astute observation, CS.

but I'm 19, same age as Colleguy. More or less the same age.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Very astute observation, CS.

but I'm 19, same age as Colleguy. More or less the same age.

Yes, I think you mentioned your age a few pages back in the thread, there are always exceptions, I was wondering about the opinions of other posters. Older men may no longer have their mothers around so the sentimental value placed on mothers by them can usually color their views about mom/son relationships. While younger guys, can rely on having their mothers in their lives for the next 30 years or so, so the idea of telling the mother to basically mind her business doesn't really bother them? I aint no psychologist, for sure, lol, these are just random thoughts.

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
Yes, I think you mentioned your age a few pages back in the thread, there are always exceptions, I was wondering about the opinions of other posters. Older men may no longer have their mothers around so the sentimental value placed on mothers by them can usually color their views about mom/son relationships. While younger guys, can rely on having their mothers in their lives for the next 30 years or so, so the idea of telling the mother to basically mind her business doesn't really bother them? I aint no psychologist, for sure, lol, these are just random thoughts.

Makes sense. Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24