Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matt Deckard Apparel

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Yes that's how it's done.

You can go to a tailor and have several fittings as well and get an ill fit. You can go to a tailor and get something completely other than what you want I've been through that... that's why I started this company. I'll make adjustments if they are needed.

What I'm doing is completely made to your body after one meeting. Photos and measurements are taken and I make notes of what other finesse needs to be done to the fit to make it come out balanced. If it needs tuning I'll take care of it.

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Matt Deckard said:
Yes that's how it's done.

You can go to a tailor and have several fittings as well and get an ill fit. You can go to a tailor and get something completely other than what you want I've been through that... that's why I started this company. I'll make adjustments if they are needed.

Yes, I know that several fittings do not guarantee success. But I'm sure you can understand my skepticism. I may not be a tailor, but I do have some experience with bespoke clothing and I simply do not see how it is possible to produce a perfectly fitting suit from one meeting, where measurements and photos are taken.

Even a company like Anderson & Sheppard can't manage such a feat.

You are going to need at least one fitting, once the garment has been cut; preferably two.

What I'm doing is completely made to your body after one meeting. Photos and measurements are taken and I make notes of what other finesse needs to be done to the fit to make it come out balanced. If it needs tuning I'll take care of it.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I understand the skepticism completely. And if you like the fit and cut of Anderson and Shepphard suits then those are the ones for you.

We measure. We photograph. We make. If it requires adjustments they will be done. They aren't usually needed, though if needed they are done.

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Matt Deckard said:
I understand the skepticism completely. And if you like the fit and cut of Anderson and Shepphard suits then those are the ones for you.

We measure. We photograph. We make. If it requires adjustments they will be done. They aren't usually needed, though if needed they are done.

Fair enough.

le.gentleman

Familiar Face
Robert Conway said:
Yes, I know that several fittings do not guarantee success. But I'm sure you can understand my skepticism. I may not be a tailor, but I do have some experience with bespoke clothing and I simply do not see how it is possible to produce a perfectly fitting suit from one meeting, where measurements and photos are taken.

Even a company like Anderson & Sheppard can't manage such a feat.

You are going to need at least one fitting, once the garment has been cut; preferably two.

Thanks for the clarification Matt. I also have to admit that the idea of no fitting sounded strange to me. Because in order to get the fit right it usually needs fittings.
However, if you are convinced that you can get it right the first time and if that's not the case, you change it until the fit is right - I think that's absolutely fine.

The pictures I have seen so far looked good. However, I have not seen pictures from the back or from the side yet. There are some minor things I don't like e.g. the way the stripes come together at the chest dart:

l_bf6cc60824134572ae883049487fc5e6.jpg

The cutter can solve that very easily though as he has already proven here:

However, in this suit it is just fine:
Suit-1-jacket.jpg

Here the collar does not fit tightly around the neck - that might be due to the wearer's stance in this particular moment...

Other than that, I agree with you that detailed measurements and abnormalities are important. Photos from numerous angles definitely help. For Example, I do have a slightly sloped right shoulder, it's about 1/2 inch lower than my left shoulder and the hip on my right side is a little stronger...
If all that is taken into consideration it's a good start although I still think probably there have to be alterations in the end... but each to his own ;).

In any case, I will give you a try since I like what I have seen so far.

le.gentleman

Familiar Face
Matt Deckard said:
It is his stance in this shot, the suit fits pretty excellently.

If there was a problem I'd fix it.
l_55a795e8b2101e30245a4ecd9546e860.jpg

Well, in this picture we also do not see his natural stance I suppose although the collar fits around his neck. He seems to stand more straight because there are wrinkles beneath the sleevehead which indicate that he is leaning up or back a little more than he usually does.
It must be mentioned however, that people often do not appear in their natural stance when a picture is taken.
That's why I believe you that his suit fits perfectly when you meet him wearing it in person.

As le.gentleman write about above, when we adopt a natural stance we are the way we stand regularly.

If you've ever been posed for a prom or wedding picture, which few photographers seem to do these days,they will have you leaning this way and that, so in the picture it looks wonderful, but chances are you've never stood like that before or since in your life.

If I recall correctly, Dagwood had changed his clothes just moments before to show us the suit and had not "preened" to get it to settle on him. Sometimes you need that 'get arranged time' in the mirror to look your best.

The suit fits impecably, as any impeck will tell you...

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
Well here I was, ready to showcase my suit at Matt's YOWZA event this Friday so curious loungers could finally see it, then I realise this morning that it was last Friday. :eusa_doh:

I don't have any action shots, but here's a couple lining shots for the people who have asked:

591720305_6GtqC-M.jpg

591720171_KCKYR-M.jpg

le.gentleman

Familiar Face
Bird's One View said:
When I met Dagwood he was wearing a different suit, but I believe it was a Matt Deckard model as well. I thought it looked great.

Quite extravagant, I like it though! The shank is very neat, so is the piping on the pockets. What do you call those black things on the sides of the pocket that supposedly keep it from fraying or ripping?

Can you also post some pics of the buttonholes? OR even better, do you have pics from the event?

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
No event pics... I screwed up the date in my head and missed it. :rage: I'll see about getting some more up close detailed shots though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy