Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maui Jim is it a good Sunglasses brand ?

JimWagner

Practically Family
I had a pair of Ray Ban Aviators (more like today's Outdoorsman) that I'd had for over 20 years and I broke the frames at the nose. Completely my fault. I wrote Ray Ban, explained the situation and that I had some attachment to these glasses and asked if they could be repaired. They said send them in. A few weeks later I received a new pair of Outdoorsman and an explanation that my original ones were beyond repair. I think it cost me about $8 for the whole transaction.

I haven't tried Maui Jim's and cannot speak to their quality, but I have several pairs of Ray Bans and I've always been completely satisfied with them. Based on what others here have posted I'd have to say that either brand would be fine and it will boil down to what style you really like.

Dave E

One of the Regulars
I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Maui Jim, they seem to make very good sunglasses, in particular I've heard good things about their lenses. Personally, I wear RayBans, but that's partly because I find their aviators fit me perfectly (and the polarised lenses are very good).

Equality 7-2521

One of the Regulars
I have no firsthand experience with Maui Jim's but I can comment on some of the other brands mentioned. I have owned both Ray Bans and Persols, to me the Persols fit me a lot better and felt more substantial. Regarding light perhaps due to the better fit, the Persols also blocked visible light better. Unfortunately I misplaced my Persols in a store and someone got a free pair it would seem, that was a bitter day.

Adcurium

A-List Customer
I had Oakley and ray ban and every other high-end brand. Then I bought my first pair of Maui. And now I won't wear anything else. Once you buy a pair of Maui, you'll never wear anything else.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I used to go through pair after pair of cheaper sunglasses, mainly Fossil ones I'd buy at Macy's because I liked the look. I did that until I bought a pair of Maui Jim's, the titanium style. A lot of money and it was worth it. I still have them and wear them for driving and more. I'm particularly keen on the fact that they are polarized which cuts back on the glare (will come in handy if I go fishing as well).

I wear them now and again. Quite out of place with my attire, but they look cool anyway.
l.jpg

Deckburner

New in Town
I used to lifeguard on the ocean (back in the mid-'90's). And now I coach swimming -- both of which require staring towards, at or through the surface of water. Between the 40 guards on staff, we tried just about every brand of sunglasses imaginable. We could not see to do our job without sunglasses as the glare of the sun off of the water would blind you after an 8-hour day. Without a doubt, Maui Jim's were the best polarized lens on the market. I believe that every one of their models comes with polarized lenses, which is designed to cut the glare down off of water/snow. Now that's just from swapping pairs with everybody else we worked with, and using subjective measures. But the consensus was that MJ's cut more glare off the water than any other lens; We thought it provided the 'clearest' view with the most comfortable shade of grey to the eye. I have (or had) MJ's, Smiths (I think all of theirs are polarized too), Ray Bans and Oakleys. I would rate them in order of best to worst: MJ, Ray Ban/Smith (tied...both decent lenses, decent variety and style), and Oakleys are simply for running/biking/skiing as their lenses not in the same league as the others in my opinion but offer eye protection in a durable frame. But that's from my perspective of needing sunglasses more for functionality than for style. I have very little experience with customer service.

Last edited:

Adcurium

A-List Customer
Mj customer service is excellent. My wife and I each have at least three pair: one pair in each of the cars and one we keep in the house (for when we are out on the deck, in the yard, etc.). Every few years a pair gets scratched so we ship them to MJ to have the lenses replaced for a really reasonable fee. The product, and the company, is top notch.

A few years ago my wife's were stolen from her car. She went to by a new pair the next day bc once you've worn excellent sunglasses, you can never be without!

The amber lenses make even driving in the rain more comfortable.

And like MD stated, if you spend $300 on sunglasses, you'll be sure to take care of them. Hell, I still have the same pair I first bought in 1998 (I don't wear them bc I'm no longer crazy about the style, but the point is that I've still got them). And, I've seen them for as little as 179 bucks.

4spurs

One of the Regulars
Have just lost my second pair of MJ; will be buying my third pair shortly w/o hesitation. Six years experience w/ MJ and not looking back, worth the $300 a pair. EOS as far as I can see . . . .

SSuperDave

New in Town
I have two pair of Maui Jims and wouldn't leave the house without them. They are both identical in appearance, but one pair has a +2.0 bifocal in the bottom. Not like I'm old enough to need it or anything...

WH1

Practically Family
Oakley Flak Jackets when the sun is out, Oakley M frames with clear lenses at night or on overcast days mainly to keep sand out of the eyes on HLZ's and CLPs.
I also have a pair of RayBan aviators from the 1980's which I wear with civilian attire. I bought them new while in college during the Top Gun craze and they are the one pair I have somehow never managed to lose or destroy. Surprised no one has mentioned their Vuarnet's yet those were one of the great preppie craze glasses in the 80's.

I don't recall ever hearing of the Maui Jim line guess I will have to check it out.

Last edited:

insomniac

New in Town
To those with MJ... which model do you have? I've been looking at the rimless. (The 'rectangular' lenses look good on me.)

I'm also looking at some Tom Fords. I haven't seen many reviews, but I have yet to hear any negative things about anything TF makes.

Fedora64

New in Town
Maui Jim sunglasses are excellent. I used to be a Ray Ban guy until I tried a pair of Maui's.

4spurs

One of the Regulars
Maui Cat, with bronze lens, sort of reminds me of old Vuarnets w/ a faux tortoise shell frame.

Previous pair had titanium frames, they no longer make titanium frames. That pair had a rectangular curved bronze lens, hinged. I do not like the hinge-less frames because the temples spring all over the place and do not lie flat

DougC

Practically Family
I have worn Ray Ban Wayfarers since I bought my first pair of sunglasses in high school during the 1980s. In fact, I currently have two pairs (classic black and tortoise). With that said, I have taught windsurfing, surf when I can, and fish fresh water and salt. The complaint I have always had (until this year) was that the Wayfarers weren't polarized. So, I have had Costas, Smith, Native and lots of other polarized sunglasses for my water glasses. A couple months ago, I bought a pair of Maui Jim Cat IIIs In tortoise with copper lenses. The glasses look similar to Wayfarers and the lenses should be great on the water (they are great when I walk to court along the world famous San Antonio River Walk). By the way, I was looking for a pair of polarized Clubmaster IIs. So, DEPENDING on what you will use the glasses for, either Ray Bans or MJs should work out. Both are well made and look fantastic. Just so you know, a pair of Revos were in the running called Classic 60s or something. Also nice sunglasses with"astronaut technology" built into every pair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy