Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hints for dating vintage Rayban sunglasses?

Raul

One of the Regulars
Can anyone share details that help to date vintage Rayban sunglasses? It seems there is not much infos on the web.
For vintage I mean before 1998 when Luxottica bought B&L/Rayban, as I don't think that they are not "real" Rayban after.
I refer mainly to the Aviator, Outdoorsman and Shooter models
I read that the BL laser etching on lenses was introduced in late 70s and the (horrible IMO) white cursive "Rayban" logo on the right lens in late 1982. So there was no BL on lenses before late 70s or there was a BL but not laser etched?
Any useful hint for dating coming from the position of BL writing? I see it horizontal, vertical, near the temples (mostly) but sometimes in the upper edge of the lenses.
Any clue from the writings above and under the bridge? For example I have a early 70s (bought in 1972) shooter with no BL mark on lenses and "B&L RAY-BAN 10K GF" on the upper bridge and nothing under the bridge.
Later versions I own from the 80s have "B&L RAY-BAN USA" above the bridge and "B&L RAY-BAN" plus the size under the bridge. No more 10K gold-filled.
Also the logo on the case changed with time from "Bausch & Lomb - Impact resistant lenses" to "100% UV protection - Sunglasses by Bausch & Lomb", but I don't know when all these changes went into effect , knowing that would help a lot dating the sunglasses.
Summing up any help to create a table for dating these old sunglasses would be very appreciated
Thanks

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
If you Google “B&L Ray-Ban age dating” you will get a variety of sources for answering all things Ray-Ban.
Hope that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner