Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Max Factor Pan-Cake Foundation

Girl Friday

Practically Family
I used pan-cake foundation when I was in high school, I think it works better on fair skin. Having olive skin, I am pretty sure I looked like I was wearing clown make up (at least that was what my mom used to tell me...) :eek:

For darker people, the Lancome Dual Finish works great.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I used pan-cake foundation when I was in high school, I think it works better on fair skin. Having olive skin, I am pretty sure I looked like I was wearing clown make up (at least that was what my mom used to tell me...)

I think you just have to find the right color, which is true for any foundation. I can't tell you how many foundations I have worn that my mother commented on, saying they were too dark and looked terrible :)

Amelie

A-List Customer
I personnaly hate the feeling of having foundation, and the one I have found and like is the new MAC studio mist. Nothing vintage though, but it is very versatile. It can be apply for a natural look, or for more coverage.

There is not a lot of colours though, but since it is spray, it's so easy to mix colours. The only real problem might be if the lightest is still too dark for you, but I find it pale enough.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Oily Skin; I tend to have oily skin in my t-zone areas, which can play some havoc on keeping that 'matte' finish looking perfect all day. My secret weapon for this is a mattifying gel. I use Mary Kay's product, but there are many out there on the market. You put it on before the foundation and it realy does a great job of keeping the shine at bay.
I'm so glad someone mentioned the maybelline mousse! I've been eyeing the stuff for quite awhile, but too scared to attempt another throw-away product!

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
I have been using the Pan-stik as my winter foundation as I found a good color match (nude ivory 121) and I liked the idea of having an emollient cream foundation to help guard against windburn. When I first bought it I thought it looked horrible and cakey but I realized that the key to this foundation is correct application!

Here is what has worked phenom. for me:
(1) dampen cosmetic sponge (foam wedge) with warm water, sqeeze out well
(2) lightly rub sponge over pan-stik, and then stroke it over face where needed

Reasons why I like this foundation:
1. It looks good, both in real life and in photos
2. It feels good on my skin
3. It does not dry my skin out like some foundations do
4. It lasts all day, even through outdoor activities
5. It has helped me avoid getting windburn as bad as I was getting it!
6. It is not expensive
7. Minimal ingredients = doesn't bother my skin

bellabella327

One of the Regulars
jitterbugdoll said:
In fact, Pan-Cake is one of the most natural looking foundations I have ever tried :)

I agree! Last summer, my moher-in-law suggested I pick one up along with a sea-salt sponge. I have quite a bit of redness on my cheeks, and it completely covers it. It does not feel heavy on my skin, and it lasts quite awhile. One down side is that if you are not careful it can streak! The TRICK is to completely soak the sponge, then completely squeze all of the water out so it is damp (NO water should come out if you squeezed it again), and swirl it in the pan cake foundation and apply.

I am quite dissapointed it has been discontinued here in the US. I am interested in Ben Nye, can anyone reccommend a match for Max Factors Pan Cake No 101 (Natural Number 2)?

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
Hey, I've managed to find an online retailer for Max Factor Pancake foundation in England, but I don't know which shade to buy as obviously I can't test it. I'm fair skinned, but only turn an ivory shade in winter. So I was wondering which shade I should buy, natural no.1 or natural no 2? If anyone has any suggestions please let me know :)

bellabella327

One of the Regulars
I have Natural No2, and I am light/medium skinned, though I am not super fair. I am usually 1 or maybe 2 shades up from the lightest shade (hope that makes sense).

I have quite a bit of red in my face, and this really helps cover it up.

Ms Sew-n-Sew

One of the Regulars
Hello Miss Scarlet

I think that they sell it at Boots branded as Max Factor Cream Puff - at least it's very similar and has been made for eons. It smells lovely :)

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
From what i've heard- natural 1 had yellow tones where as natural 2 has pink undertones. I got Lloreal true match in Neutral as that's what Dita VT uses but it turned out to be really yellow on me- okay for Dita as she has yellow undertones which is why she suits brown-red lippies and auburn hair and looks better in peach than pink.

I used MAX Factor creme puff years ago and it was just a pressed face powder back then, don't know if it's changed. (I used to use candlelight glow- but it seems much darker than I remembered). I asked the Max Factor assistnt in Boots about pancake and she told me it hasn't been available in the UK for years. I had to get it on ebay from the US.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Miss Scarlet- would you be kind enought o share the name of the UK retailer you found? I'd really appreciate it.

I got number 2 - can't wait either!

Thanks

Trish

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Oh- and I checked with the Max factor assistant today and creme puff is just pressed powder- smells lovely though.

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
If you search on ebay there's a woman in Scotland selling old stock, £7.99 for a 14g sized thing. I searched for max factor pancake and it came up. Tempted to get a couple :p

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I like the Max Factor pan stick..but I've never tried applying it with a wet sponge before (but will do now). I don't wear it very often..especially since it's so humid. However, it sure does even out the skin tone/cover up flaws. Sometimes, I just use it more as a concealer under the eyes, and blend with a sponge.

I read somewhere recently that if you use a primer on your face first, then apply the pan-stick with a foundation brush, that it looks amazing. I haven't tried it yet.

X
BD

maxfactor1952.jpg

ElizabethTaylor.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner