Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maxi Dresses

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
I don't know if anyone else noticed it or not, but the target dress looks like a short LBD with extra fabric sewn on. I personally don't like that dress, but I have seen some patterns my mom has of maxi dresses that are quite pretty. It all depends on your tastes I suppose.
Sarah

PS

A-List Customer
:p I have a couple.
We do not have air conditioning in our old home. The days it reaches near and past 100, its hard to wear anything but a bath towel.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I don't like that particular dress in the link, but in general I think maxis are fun! I don't wear them myself, but sometimes incorporate a similar bohemian look into my style. I love the gypsy/bohemian look and to me the maxi is a simpler version of that.

Foofoogal

Banned
Yes, I am not specifically noting the Target ones but the vintage ones can be really nice. They even have Swirl ones that can bring a pretty amount.

cecil

A-List Customer
I wear a dress that's crossed between a maxi and an evening gown that is quite pretty. I'm one of the boyish-figured though.

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
I tried one on in the store and it looked horrendous. It emphasized areas I don't want to be emphasized, and in general was unkind to my figure. But I know a girl who would look good in it...

The cloth does remind me of nightgowns though, very soft and comfy feeling. I feel I'd fall asleep if sitting too long in one... like in class, or something.

crwritt

One Too Many
We wore them to high school in the 70's, at least some of us did (I did). but more like this one http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/vin...ss-70s-womens-size-14-bust-36-waist-28-hip-38
I sewed this pattern for myself and for my sister, mine was pale blue knit with tiny chickens on it.
We went to a really preppy school, and liked dressing differently than those in Izod golf shirts and LL Bean boots.

Foofoogal I am wondering if this is a slight backlash to the trendy Elvira clothing lately. I sure hope so. I am a petite so.....

Not sure what you are referring to. Do you have a picture of that?

Cricket

Practically Family
I do have that tall, slightly boyish figure that I noticed on other posts. And, maxi dresses still don't look too flattering on me. I tried the hippy look in college, and those dresses always seemed to swim on me. The fabric just went straight down, and what little bust I had got lost in the draped fabric.
But then I got into the punk stage, and the dark jeans and leather jackets I don't think did too much for me either! lol

This post is interesting though because it reminds me of all the "stages" I went through growing up.
I am pretty sure the "stage" I am in now is here to stay...hopefully cause I love it too much. ;)

sweetarita

New in Town
I wear all 40s and 50s, but I do have 4 vintage maxi dresses I have run across that are beautiful and fit me. I am very hourglass and 5'4", so these are the sort that are not empire, not very flowy, and have defined waists and lovely more 50s type bombshell bodices. I think the key is finding one to suit your shape. I think VINTAGE ones look great at a low key summer soiree/picnic-y type event, they have a sort of relaxed glamour if you get the right VINTAGE
one. Funny thing is I always reach for a 50s sundress so I haven't worn them. hehe

I can't wear the flowy empire waist ones that the tall skinny girls wear or the flimsy Old navy ones.

swampcrone

New in Town
Sadly, I am of the age where I hear maxi dress my mind goes to scary 70s polyester wearing middle-aged housewives wearing them. Of course I can at least blame my parents for my 70s "style" (as much of a style as one can have between 1-9).

miss_smith

One of the Regulars
The better made ones are quite flattering on most, just as the Empire styles that they drew from are considered to be the most universally flattering of period clothing, and also the most comfortable.
I have one very fiesta styled one, but I really don't wear it that much. I think if I had one in a light colored calico I would probably wear it more.
And of course, I have my 70s does Empire dress I made a few months ago:
3333718774_687839e3c3.jpg

I plan on wearing this to tea parties :D

miss_smith

One of the Regulars
And actually, if you don't go for the empire waisted ones, I find Gunne Sax maxi dresses to be so beautiful! I kind of wish they weren't so popular right now because they're so expensive.

Foofoogal

Banned
Not sure what you are referring to. Do you have a picture of that?

the cheap clothing recently in most all stores made of slinky material. I cannot show a pix without showing a particular store. Even the little girls are being having to be dressed like this as there is not much alternative.

Foofoogal

Banned
I did mean her. Some of the clothing recently in the stores look like they were made for her.
Somewhere there is a whole thread on the FL about this.

Idledame

Practically Family
I wore maxi dresses when they first came in, around 1965 or 66, and again in the 70s. I was skinny then though. They reminded me of 1820-1840 dresses and I always felt very feminine and elegant in them. I daresay I wouldn't look quite so elegant these days. But they sure were comfortable. For alot of girls I think it would be a HUGE improvement over the muffin top draped over the belt and bra straps showing. And maybe feeling more feminine would affect their behaviour a bit too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy