Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

McQueen's Jackets ?

HermannHKG

New in Town
Hi All,

I remember Steve McQueen has worn,

A 2 - in The Great Escape,

MA-1 - in The Hunter, and

B 3 - in The Warlovers,

any other flight jackets you can think of ?

Regards,

HermannHKG

rgraham

A-List Customer
Alan Eardley said:
For motorcycling - a Bestaff Trialsmaster.

Alan

I believe if you look closely at the pictures, it will show that it is a Barbour International jacket.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
rgraham said:
I believe if you look closely at the pictures, it will show that it is a Barbour International jacket.
As a fan of Barbour, I'd like to see that photo.

I loved the cool 60s racing jacket in LeMans. That fellow had style; anything he wore is wearable now.

rgraham

A-List Customer
Hemingway Jones said:
As a fan of Barbour, I'd like to see that photo.

I loved the cool 60s racing jacket in LeMans. That fellow had style; anything he wore is wearable now.

Sorry old chap, I can not post any pics to this site.

I believe I can send you to a couple of websites that do have some images.

http://www.johnsonmotorsinc.com/speedshop/40summers.htm

Also, here is the site I found out that the jacket is indeed a Barbour.

http://40on2.blogspot.com/2007/04/if-i-were-rich-man-update.html

I happen to own an International jacket, and really like it. I use it when I ride the motorcycle, or just when the weather calls for it. It is rain proof, so far, but more importantly, wind proof. I stay nice and warm inside the jacket if I also wear a fleece pullover under it. The bright buttons are a bit much, but you get used to them.

Aviakid

New in Town
McQueen Jacket

Interesting thread idea rgraham.
Re: the jacket; I got a book some years ago called 40 Summers ago by Rin Tanaka and Sean Kelly and it stated there that the USA 1964 ISDT team all wore Barbour; full story here:
McQueen.jpg

There is also a good McQueen website here with lots of information to browse:
http://www.mcqueenonline.com/40summers.htm

And not forgetting Toys McCoy in Japan who make a line of licensed McQueen dolls and clothing, -the clothing collection changes on a seasonal basis:
http://www.toys-mccoy.com/
Toys McCoy have produced a variety of books on McQueen, his clothing and lifestyle, all in Japanese but excellently illustrated, it may be possible to find them on eBay.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
Here he is,at the ISDT-like others have said, it is easy to see from the slanting pocket,that this is indeed a Barbour International. These jackets have not changed at all in the ensuing years,and the new ones are identical. I got one early this year to wear while riding my bikes-The dollar's decline has made them quite expensive,though.
I was lucky to find a pair of waxed-cotton Belstaff overtrousers on eBay to go with this jacket-they match the style perfectly. I may be wrong,but I don't think Barbour makes the trousers anymore?
I was out a few days ago in 40F weather riding my Enfield wearing this stuff,and never felt the cold seep through. It's definitely not as hi-tech or abrasion-resistant as new motorcycle gear,but it fits the old bikes I ride very well.
McQueen did have Belstaff jackets,too. Onethat belonged to him was recently purchased at auction by an Italian firm. I believe the price was around $42,000. Vintage Trialmasters go for very high prices on eBay,especially in the larger sizes.

erfutposter.jpg

rgraham

A-List Customer
Wow, Steve McQueen made 6 million dollars last year!

I wonder why he chose Belstaff over Barbour for his personal riding? Maybe they used to give them to him for free as a promotional device.

Also, in the one article, it states that Barbour was more expensive and better made than Belstaffs. I know that now the pricing has reversed, but I'm not so sure about the quality.

MJCR

One of the Regulars
I tried on the Barbour International last week in their shop in Manchester, but the it's quite a snug fitting jacket so I need to go back when they have the size up. It's a lovely coat, to my mind every bit as nice as a Belstaff (I haven't got a Belstaff, but I have looked at them quite closely in their Manchester store (I'm lucky having both shops a few minutes walk from my office!) and much cheaper.

I've got three other Barbour jackets and they're all superb.

M.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Love that slanted pocket!
Thanks to all,I had been wondering if these european moto jkts were military surplus as they reminded me of WWII paratroop jkts.
Theyve been in the fashion pages a lot over the last decade, I believe RL was reworking the style. But most didnt have th slanted pocket.

A few months ago, BananRepublic had various safari type jkts w/ this slanted left pocket , but the right pocket omitted, rather like a shooting jacket.

the jacket is in IAMLEGEND
2171335301_7824329ec1.jpg

2132284189_14d7fec186.jpg

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
Actually the jacket Will Smith is wearing here is a Belstaff with the branding removed.

From the Belstaff site...

"Belstaff created the total look for Will Smith’s character.
In particular the Trial Master Legend Jacket, a futuristic evolution of the legendary jacket Steve McQueen wore 40 years ago. This jacket, which the star wears throughout the film, is an integral part of his image as a lone hero driven by his courage and his indomitable hope for the future of humanity. These characteristics are strikingly similar to those of the heroes who starred in Belstaff brand’s recent collections."

Belstaff seem to have strong links with Hollywood and feature in a number of films.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy