Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Memoirs of a Geisha

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
My wife and I saw this movie last night and both found it satisfying and enjoyable. The set decoration and costumes were best-of-class and the lead actors interesting and a pleasure to watch. Although the central love story was a bit hard to swallow (I didn't tear up), the rivalry between geishas was truly mesmerizing. Be interested to hear what others think. -- ZF

PS: I guess I really have been bitten by the stupid fedora hat bug. I kept leaning over and whispering to her: "Nice hat on that guy!"

FedoraGirl

New in Town
read the book

though i haven't seen the movie, i have read the book. difficult to put down. it was a very interesting glimpse at another culture (though the book is fiction). i'll be interested to see how the movie compares.

FedoraGirl

New in Town
Zemke Fan said:
PS: I guess I really have been bitten by the stupid fedora hat bug. I kept leaning over and whispering to her: "Nice hat on that guy!"

hehe, we do that now too! i think it's good to have appreciation and awareness. most people today don't.

FedoraGirl

New in Town
Zemke Fan said:
I understood all of that before we went. Still glad we saw it in the theater.

i'd not be able to tell the difference. besides, it really doesn't matter; it's a movie not a documentary.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
I'm a sucker for period movies...

Usually see them all in the theater regardless of what the critics say. Three favorites from 2003-2004:

1. Being Julia
2. Finding Neverland
3. Seabiscuit

ZF

Harry Lime

Suspended
Ethnic purity in casting.

I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about "Memoirs of a Geisha," the modern version, not as it may have been conceived by Lilli Riefenstahl with "Triumph of the Will" purity-in-casting rules. Chinese actors playing Japanese characters - so what? If it were a "white" film and an Italian played someone Jewish, an Englishman played a German, an Irish person a Scot, etc., would anyone have a problem (other than Hitler in his propoganda films)? If a Mexican actor played a Puerto Rican character? That whole Chinese/Japanese actor thing is silly. It's a film - the best actors they could get to play the parts were picked to fulfill the director's vision - period. And the "filmed on a set" instead of actual locations? Hello - do you think "Star Wars" was actually filmed in outer space? That the Titanic was raised to film "Titanic" and re-sunk? That they actually found, trained and killed a giant gorilla for "King King?" It's all part of a little thing called "movie making." If it wasn't done with at least this level of license movies wouldn't exist at all. (It's not like we saw the "Hollywood" sign in the background of a Tokyo scene.)

Films live or die by the quality on the screen, not the stories behind the screen. When you read too much of this stuff put out in the entertainment rags (and believe it) you destroy the experience of the film for yourself. You've allowed others to form your opinion for you before you could make up your own mind. Remind's me of the character in Whit Stillman's "Metropolitan" who doesn't read literature, he prefers to read "literary criticism" beacuse it saves him the time of figuring out whether a book was good or bad.

Open your mind, open your eyes, see the film and decide for yourself if it was good or bad based on more realistic merits. If you don't like it then, fine, at least judge it on realistic merits or flaws.

Harry Lime

Feraud

Bartender
Quigley Brown said:
So there are no Italian Jews?
You know that is not the point H.L. is trying to make, right? Semantics is not the topic of this post.

Not sure if I would bother to see this in the theater. Zhang is not an actress to get me into a moviehouse. Might be worth a watch on cable tho'.

Harry Lime

Suspended
You've opened a can of worms.

Quigley Brown said:
So there are no Italian Jews?

This is just the tip of the iceberg, Quigley. You're really on to something here. I've further investigated this and other film issues and have uncovered some "reality in film" doozies. Brace yourself:

1) That Sam Spade fella, in the detective movie? His real name is not Sam Spade, it's Humphrey Bogart. And he's not a real detective! Further damnation on this film - those are not really his words that he's speaking! They were written for him by a writer!

2) That "Jaws" film? Fake shark. Really. And those people did not really die. I feel totally ripped off.

3) "The Great Gatsby" was not really filmed in the 'twenties. Nor was there ever a real man named Jay Gatsby. North is there a West Egg. Apparently this Fitzgeral fella was in cahoots with Hollywood to create this huge lie. I don't care if others consider this book a classic, it is fiction and therefore TRIPE.

4) Marlon Brando, The Godfather himself, was not 100 percent Italian. Can you imagine the gall of this filmaker, Coppolla (who calls himself Italian) to shoot this film this way! Once again, put it on The Crap List.

This conspiracy goes much farther and much deeper than most of us imagine. I don't think I will be able to watch any films or TV anymore knowing this (other than certain 'Reality TV' shows which are totally real), nor will i be able to read any more books. I refuse to be a part of any world, entertainment based or otherwise, that creates such boldy racist and fictitous lies. My God, next thing you know we'll find out every film and show ever written and filmed was almost completely staged. It boggles the mind.

Harry Lime

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Enjoyed Geisha

Really enjoyed the film we saw it at a packed movie house, older crowd though! After being let down by King Kong 2005, this was much more enjoyable film for me. Just my 2 cents! Peter ;)

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

The Academy sent me a viewing copy, which we plan on watching tonight.

I am sad that political correctness has pretty much ended actors playing different races.

Remo Williams Not a great film but Joel Grey as Chiun is a great performance.

Coming to America Eddie Murphy as the old Jewish man is the most amazing make-up I have ever seen.

In the golden era Boris Karloff and Lon Chaney constantly played other races.
Casablanca:Englishman Claude Rains plays French Capt. Renault....even with a British accent! What a shame if he hadn't been allowed to play that role. It is was his most memorable work.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Harry Lime said:
This is just the tip of the iceberg, Quigley. You're really on to something here. I've further investigated this and other film issues and have uncovered some "reality in film" doozies. Brace yourself:

1) That Sam Spade fella, in the detective movie? His real name is not Sam Spade, it's Humphrey Bogart. And he's not a real detective! Further damnation on this film - those are not really his words that he's speaking! They were written for him by a writer!

2) That "Jaws" film? Fake shark. Really. And those people did not really die. I feel totally ripped off.

3) "The Great Gatsby" was not really filmed in the 'twenties. Nor was there ever a real man named Jay Gatsby. North is there a West Egg. Apparently this Fitzgeral fella was in cahoots with Hollywood to create this huge lie. I don't care if others consider this book a classic, it is fiction and therefore TRIPE.

4) Marlon Brando, The Godfather himself, was not 100 percent Italian. Can you imagine the gall of this filmaker, Coppolla (who calls himself Italian) to shoot this film this way! Once again, put it on The Crap List.

This conspiracy goes much farther and much deeper than most of us imagine. I don't think I will be able to watch any films or TV anymore knowing this (other than certain 'Reality TV' shows which are totally real), nor will i be able to read any more books. I refuse to be a part of any world, entertainment based or otherwise, that creates such boldy racist and fictitous lies. My God, next thing you know we'll find out every film and show ever written and filmed was almost completely staged. It boggles the mind.

Harry Lime

Okay, you win. That was pretty funny

swinggal

One Too Many
I loved the book and have followed the making of this film with keen interest. Originally Spielberg bought the rights and was making it but he let someone else have it.

I'm looking forward to seeing it. As far as the actors go, I think it's mainly the Japanese community that are a little pissed off. Geisha are a very important part of Japanese culture and I guess Japanese women playing geisha might have been better in their eyes. Doesn't bother me really.

Harry Lime

Suspended
There was no feud, so nothing to win.

Quigley Brown said:
Okay, you win. That was pretty funny

This wasn't a serious argument in any way so there's nothing really to win. I just considered this a facetious discussion between friends who haven't met yet. You're either a big man to concede or our discussion brought out the best in each other (or both.) Thank you. You have a sense of humor and an open mind, both fine traits.

Not going as well in "Best Films of 2005" thread I'm afraid. I have a small but vocal contingent up in arms over calling them out on the carpet regarding their use of verbal slurs. I wonder if I should worry - a number of them profess a love of handguns and believe God is firmly on their side...

Gotta go, there's a group of Carolers at my door. Why are they wearing white hoods and carrying torches?

Harry Lime

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
short review

Saw it. Enjoyed it. Great camera work and excellent lighting. Very good acting. I particularly was pleased with the descreet choices made...especially considering the subject matter. Well done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner