Men rings - How to choose? What do you wear?

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Andrey Ksh, May 23, 2015.

1. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

The problem we have at present is that jewellers are shut due to COVID, but we do have an excellent local one. The ring sizer is a good idea and one I’ll pursue on the Internet so thanks for that :)

1967Cougar390 and Edward like this.
  2. Edward

Edward Bartender

Worth picking up something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Practica...604417?hash=item1cec200001:g:nv4AAOSw-0xYgGhJ

You only need really to pick up one ring the right size as a result of this to save its cost back compared to what a resizing (or, in the case of some materials such as titanium and I think stainless steel, completely rebuying as they can't be resized).

1967Cougar390 and bn1966 like this.
  3. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Thanks Edward,

In fact you are totally to blame with me and the ring thing. Hadn’t really considered it until you made that Collectif post and I explored their Outlaws Amsterdam collection which set me off thinking that some of those types of ring would suit my general style..damn you :)

1967Cougar390 and Edward like this.
  4. Edward

Edward Bartender

It's nice to be an enabler - all the vicarious fun, none of the explaining to the wife! :rolleyes:

1967Cougar390 and bn1966 like this.
  5. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

A bachelor, I only wear my team ring, a large silver ring with a gold cross encircled diamond bevel
    signifying the constellation Orion, the hunter, with two knight horse head carved shanks.
    A colleague once asked what I paid for it. I smiled and simply said it was earned not bought.

1967Cougar390 and Peacoat like this.
  6. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

When my mum died I took one of her gold necklaces and had it melted down into a ring of my design. It's a huge, vulgar chunk of 24 carat gold in a irregular, organic shape.

IMG_1624.jpg

Monitor and Edward like this.
  7. Warlord of The Weejuns

Warlord of The Weejuns New in Town

Class ring on my right hand and my wedding ring on my left

8. Flanderian

Flanderian Practically Family

Spectacular ring!

And love your handle! Recall first encountering it in an Esquire article about 50+ years ago, coined by the superb wordsmith George Frazier and applied to Miles Davis. Frazier could wield an acid-dipped pen, but had as keen an eye and superb sense of style as anyone I've ever read on the subject of male dress.

9. earl

earl One of the Regulars

Being too damn close to 70, have accumulated a number of rings over the years. Most of them are silver- onyx with silver, 3 native American rings, (a large turquoise, a multi-stone and a silver shaped as an eagle head), a lapis lazuli silver ring and 2 gold- an onyx and a garnet.

Edward likes this.
  10. Warlord of The Weejuns

Warlord of The Weejuns New in Town

Thanks. I love that essay.

11. MichaelSeed

MichaelSeed New in Town

Is that the noble collection version? In the books it's called the ring of barahir and it's the ring of the kings of gondor. Very cool.

12. Monitor

Monitor

I wanted to do the exact same thing and nobody around said it's possible, for some reason. I don't understand why. I still have a whole bunch of jewelry lying around I don't know what to do with...

Seb Lucas likes this.
  13. Edward

Edward Bartender

Could be they didn't want to be held responsible. My sister in law tried several dressmakers to have her wedding dress split into a two-piece (top and skirt) that she could wear occasionally separately. They all refused, insisting she'd regret it. Instead, she still has a dress she only wore once taking up space in the loft...

14. Monitor

Monitor

I have no idea, really. They all just kept parroting on how it isn't a smart thing to do and advised me not to ask further because I might get conned.

Wanted to just get it all melt into a couple of thicc rings or something, just whatever so I wouldn't have a whole bunch of gold hidden around. There's a substantial amount of it and it's making me nervous but I don't want to sell it. Gold is at least worth something...

It's absolutely crazy they didn't want to split the dress, though. That's precisely the thing, that she's already regretting having a dress she can never again wear, that made her want to make something out of it.

Edward likes this.
  15. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

Yeah it is!

16. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Best if you to find a solid artisanal jeweller. The stumbling block is they don't generally like you bringing your own precious metals. And having to build a mould that is compatible with the metal available can be difficult.