Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men rings - How to choose? What do you wear?

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would think that any local jeweler should be able to help you with sizing your finger. I would also think, an internet jeweler should be able to supply you with a ring sizer prior to purchasing their product. These are just my thoughts and I hope it helps you with your decision.

Steven

The problem we have at present is that jewellers are shut due to COVID, but we do have an excellent local one. The ring sizer is a good idea and one I’ll pursue on the Internet so thanks for that :)

Edward

Bartender
Thinking about getting into rings aside from my wedding ring, will have to get my head around the sizing as the ones I’m interested in will be Internet purchases.

Worth picking up something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Practica...604417?hash=item1cec200001:g:nv4AAOSw-0xYgGhJ

You only need really to pick up one ring the right size as a result of this to save its cost back compared to what a resizing (or, in the case of some materials such as titanium and I think stainless steel, completely rebuying as they can't be resized).

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Worth picking up something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Practica...604417?hash=item1cec200001:g:nv4AAOSw-0xYgGhJ

You only need really to pick up one ring the right size as a result of this to save its cost back compared to what a resizing (or, in the case of some materials such as titanium and I think stainless steel, completely rebuying as they can't be resized).

Thanks Edward,

In fact you are totally to blame with me and the ring thing. Hadn’t really considered it until you made that Collectif post and I explored their Outlaws Amsterdam collection which set me off thinking that some of those types of ring would suit my general style..damn you :)

Edward

Bartender
Thanks Edward,

In fact you are totally to blame with me and the ring thing. Hadn’t really considered it until you made that Collectif post and I explored their Outlaws Amsterdam collection which set me off thinking that some of those types of ring would suit my general style..damn you :)

It's nice to be an enabler - all the vicarious fun, none of the explaining to the wife! :rolleyes:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I wear my wedding ring and my flight school class ring. Of my four class rings, it is the one I am the proudest of. Only took a year to get it, but it was a hard fought year.

A bachelor, I only wear my team ring, a large silver ring with a gold cross encircled diamond bevel
signifying the constellation Orion, the hunter, with two knight horse head carved shanks.
A colleague once asked what I paid for it. I smiled and simply said it was earned not bought.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
When my mum died I took one of her gold necklaces and had it melted down into a ring of my design. It's a huge, vulgar chunk of 24 carat gold in a irregular, organic shape.

IMG_1624.jpg

Flanderian

Practically Family
Class ring on my right hand and my wedding ring on my left

Spectacular ring!

And love your handle! Recall first encountering it in an Esquire article about 50+ years ago, coined by the superb wordsmith George Frazier and applied to Miles Davis. Frazier could wield an acid-dipped pen, but had as keen an eye and superb sense of style as anyone I've ever read on the subject of male dress.

earl

A-List Customer
Being too damn close to 70, have accumulated a number of rings over the years. Most of them are silver- onyx with silver, 3 native American rings, (a large turquoise, a multi-stone and a silver shaped as an eagle head), a lapis lazuli silver ring and 2 gold- an onyx and a garnet.

Spectacular ring!

And love your handle! Recall first encountering it in an Esquire article about 50+ years ago, coined by the superb wordsmith George Frazier and applied to Miles Davis. Frazier could wield an acid-dipped pen, but had as keen an eye and superb sense of style as anyone I've ever read on the subject of male dress.

Thanks. I love that essay.

MichaelSeed

New in Town
I've had this one for years, I wear it on my right ring finger. It's actually a replica of Aragorn's ring from The Lord of the Rings, but nobody but me notices those kind of details. ;) I actually get compliments on it all the time. People love it.
ZpEJBfk.jpg
Is that the noble collection version? In the books it's called the ring of barahir and it's the ring of the kings of gondor. Very cool.

When my mum died I took one of her gold necklaces and had it melted down into a ring of my design. It's a huge, vulgar chunk of 24 carat gold in a irregular, organic shape.

View attachment 300673

I wanted to do the exact same thing and nobody around said it's possible, for some reason. I don't understand why. I still have a whole bunch of jewelry lying around I don't know what to do with...

Edward

Bartender
I wanted to do the exact same thing and nobody around said it's possible, for some reason. I don't understand why. I still have a whole bunch of jewelry lying around I don't know what to do with...

Could be they didn't want to be held responsible. My sister in law tried several dressmakers to have her wedding dress split into a two-piece (top and skirt) that she could wear occasionally separately. They all refused, insisting she'd regret it. Instead, she still has a dress she only wore once taking up space in the loft...

Could be they didn't want to be held responsible. My sister in law tried several dressmakers to have her wedding dress split into a two-piece (top and skirt) that she could wear occasionally separately. They all refused, insisting she'd regret it. Instead, she still has a dress she only wore once taking up space in the loft...

I have no idea, really. They all just kept parroting on how it isn't a smart thing to do and advised me not to ask further because I might get conned.

Wanted to just get it all melt into a couple of thicc rings or something, just whatever so I wouldn't have a whole bunch of gold hidden around. There's a substantial amount of it and it's making me nervous but I don't want to sell it. Gold is at least worth something...

It's absolutely crazy they didn't want to split the dress, though. That's precisely the thing, that she's already regretting having a dress she can never again wear, that made her want to make something out of it.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

Best if you to find a solid artisanal jeweller. The stumbling block is they don't generally like you bringing your own precious metals. And having to build a mould that is compatible with the metal available can be difficult.

Edward

Bartender
I ran across this thread and I figured it needed a bump. I wear two rings with pride daily. My most cherished and important ring is by far my wedding ring. My other ring is my college class ring.

View attachment 300440

Steven

The class ring concept isn't big in the UK, but since the 90s a few universities have taken to offering them as a graduation gift type thing. I'm still tempted to get myself one from my Masters back in 1998; not cheap, but nice.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
I wear a simple gold wedding band and wear a gold signet ring on my other hand. Sometimes I swap out the signet ring for one of those three color gold rolling rings. The wedding ring is my second (same wife) as the first one had to be cut off after I fell off a ladder and my ring got caught. Luckily I didn't lose the finger but the avulsion injury needed 18 stitches and that finger still doesn't work quite right. I have sworn off ladders (at least while wearing a ring).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ