Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men Who Make Bowties Look Good

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Struggling to get a bow tie tied. I don't know WHY this has proven so difficult for me!

FDR looked swell in a bow.

franklin-roosevelt-biography-color.jpg

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
scotrace - just try to remember that it's just like tying a shoelace, but with a much wider lace.

The biggest problem for me tends to be that I can't see what I'm doing without using a mirror. All the work is done below the chin, so it's impossible to look down and see the knot in progress, unlike a long tie which CAN be seen when the knot is being formed. Not sure that I'll ever be able to tie a bow tie without seeing my reflection.

irisheyes

New in Town
The trick is to tie the knot without looking in the mirror, then straighten it out using the mirror. Tie the knot with the same reckless abandon you use with your shoe lace knot, which you can do without looking, right?

MikeBravo

One Too Many
You guys forgot Bing Crosby! Now that man made a bowtie rock!

We must not forget that the early Frankie wore bowties and really made them work.

I think the bowtie is just as dressy as a neck tie. You can wear it with just about any thing and it would work. But Dan, I'm with you on the short sleeved shirts and oxford collars! NO WAY JOSE! Not going to impress any one by any means!

Cheers,

Root.
frank1mb.jpg

bc11.jpg

There's a great scene in High Society where Bing is singing, dancing and tying his bow tie with one hand.

It's about 10 minutes into the movie. Check it out!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
This guy puts on a bow tie and women think he is adorable, I put on a bow tie, and it becomes the most effective form of birth control known to man!
Ashton1_zps1fe29cf8.jpg
ashton_zpsa9410f37.jpg
ashton2_zpsb670e1dc.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24