Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Menlo Cossack

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
+1
When I hear a discussion involving terms like 'bearhug squat' and 'round back lifting', I feel that I ought to be embarrassed and leave the room quietly...

Doc, I am just an old guy trying to hold on to my lost youth...:) I should probably just go for a walk.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Jogging is good too!

I'm just trying to help a guy out who might have issues getting a decent fit because he's athletic. I am too and while it's all very well to enjoy the various benefits being fit and strong brings it can be really hard to find things that suit. Most clothes just aren't built for the likes of us. I don't have the problem of my arms popping out of a leather jacket (!) but I do have to deal with the fact that almost any standard sized item of clothing may fit me in the shoulders or the waist but never both. There are worse things in life, I grant you.

John Lever

One Too Many
I doubt there were very many people in the 1930's who had physiques like some have today. They were poor times and I would think most men were wiry and strong rather than massively muscled. If you look at old films or photos, everyone looks slight. Even fairground muscle men look small compared to many people on the street. When I used weights at school in the 1970's, went running and did karate, it was thought as being slightly odd somehow.
Today it's the norm.

Last edited:

simonc

Practically Family
What I find amazing is how period clothing had shorter arms, what I don't find amazing is how slender they were and how fat we have become, sadly.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I doubt there were very many people in the 1930's who had physiques like some have today. They were poor times and I would think most men were wiry and strong rather than massively muscled. If you look at old films or photos, everyone looks slight. Even fairground muscle men look small compared to many people on the street. When I used weights at school in the 1070's, went running and did karate, it was thought as being slightly odd somehow.
Today it's the norm.

I should think the Norman occupiers would have kept a very close eye on you. They'd have had you down as an insurgent in training.

I doubt there were very many people in the 1930's who had physiques like some have today. They were poor times and I would think most men were wiry and strong rather than massively muscled. If you look at old films or photos, everyone looks slight. Even fairground muscle men look small compared to many people on the street. When I used weights at school in the 1070's, went running and did karate, it was thought as being slightly odd somehow.Today it's the norm.
How freakin' old are you? Did you use rocks for weights? lol

pauleway

Practically Family
Very true Pauly..that's why I'm here..if you look good, you feel good!

I know I've posted this Billy Crystal-Richardo Montoubon quote before, but here it is again - "It's not how you feel, it's how you look, and you look marvelous"!!:D;)

Windward

Practically Family
Yep... thats the way I also like a jacket to fit - but someone would say you look like "Hulk" in your jacket - like me in my Windwards - but don't worry, you wear it very well !:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot