Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mens 40's 50's Coat?

Hello all!
This is my first post over here, so I am the new kid on the block. I was recommended to come here by a fellow seller. I have this coat and I am not sure of the date, 40's or 50's. Can anyone help? I think it is referred to as Hollywood or Norfolk style? Thanks in advance!
ebay22507no260.jpg
ebay22507no262.jpg
ebay22507no266.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Welcome!

Glad you are here.

May we see any labels or marks that are present (including a Union tag if there is one)?

It's not a Norfolk or a Hollywood.

Norfolk:

QDU7V92YQT79.jpg

Hollywood:

catphoto.jpg

Okay so Norfolk has the attached belt in the front ? And Hollywood has the two tone accents? Is Hollywood style a particular decade? What if a jacket has a pattern and a print on it? Is that Hollywood. Sorry to cause confusion.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Sydney's overcoat is heavily inspired by those made in Germany and Austria for decades. In Chile, I saw many, many of these vintage coats. The style didn't change much from the 1930s to the '70s: very heavy wool, belted back, padded shoulders, smooth yet chunky concave buttons. Only the length changed with time: '30s German coats tended to be quite long, while '60s and '70s coats didn't go much lower than the knee.

frontmanvintage

New in Town
dating coat

That International Woolmark on the label dates your coat to after 1964. I'd say its really more 70's when fashion did a lot of retro looks and styling. Sorry its not as old as you hoped.

Nirvana

New in Town
Scotrace

Is that a Norfork in your reply? Now that I really like!!

Tell me where, and I'll try and get one myself.

Nirvana

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
That's a Norfolk variant. Some are more heavily belted, some have more dramatic pockets. But the backs are belted and pleated, with biswing shoulders.

Keep an eye out - they're really nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW