Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEN'S PAJAMAS and DRESSING GOWNS

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
" Scans from Esquire February 1938"

4699733072_2de1980055_b.jpg

4699749080_001dd0975c_b.jpg

Edward

Bartender
At the momoent I'm mainly wearing traditional style men's pjs bought from Sainsburys, in the region of £10 a pair. I'd much rather a tie wasit than the elsaticated one, but for that detial alone the price shoots up exponentially...

For Winter gowns, I have an original wool dressing gown that is probably from the thirties or forties at the latest, and a quilted silk gown that I bought at a silk factory in China a couple of years ago. I would eventually like to have a couple of more formal gowns run up, something similar to the one worn by Gary Oldman in Brahm Stoker's Dracula. See the early scene in which he shaves Keanu's Jonathan Harker. In warmer weather, I opt for one of the follwing:

- a black / ivory reversible silk kimono with a dragon on the back of it, a purchase made sduring my last trip to China. Very traditional style.
- a navy w'white pinstripes cotton gown, purchased recently in Sainsburys for about GBP8. Not bad for what it is.
- a 60s (I think) Tootal cotton gown, in burgundy with vertical green and navy stripes. Very fond of this one.
- a 60s deadstock gown in rayon, a dark blue (not quite navy, I'd say more the shade of a B-15C...) with black lapels, pocket trim and belt. Tres Noel Coward in overall look.

When we experienced a heatwave in London during June and July, I changed into a pair of PJs and a gown as soon as I got home in the evening - much more bearable than even a linen suit. uite often on a Saturday, if I am not leaving the house, I will remain PJ clad.

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
I just stumbled upon this site selling night gowns:
http://www.murphyofireland.com/proddetail.php?prod=cgn101

The ever-changing weather patterns bring a myriad of hues to the Donegal Landscape. Behold the Emerald, Gold and Vermilion of a summer hillside; Engage with the brown peat lands punctuated by the snowy white dots of the Canavaun. Wander the shoreline and allow your eyes to rest upon the silver sea. All these colours are woven into the Nightshirt in a medley of sensuous delights.

As the busy day draws to a close you will inhale and hear the scents and sounds of the Glen itself. You allow the brushed cotton of the Nightshirt to caress your skin and in those magic moments before sleep comes you will smell the acrid-sweet smoke of the turf fire while in the distance the shepherd calls his trusted collie.

The soothing cradling of your Murphy of Ireland Nightshirt will lull you into the delicious tranquillity of sleep.

Hilarious lol lol lol lol lol

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
1940 English Dressing Gown (New Old Stock)

As new, a wool "Army & Navy" 1940's Gentlemen's Dressing Gown (my personal own). This is in the condition it would have been in the shop "before" being sold, it is LIKE BRAND NEW!!

DRESSINGGOWN1940007.jpg

DRESSINGGOWN1940006.jpg

DRESSINGGOWN1940005.jpg

DRESSINGGOWN1940004.jpg

DRESSINGGOWN1940003.jpg

DRESSINGGOWN1940002.jpg

DRESSINGGOWN1940001.jpg

DRESSINGGOWN1940008.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
All I can say is ...YOWZA!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

What a find Paddy- Woohoo!

PADDY said:
As new, a wool "Army & Navy" 1940's Gentlemen's Dressing Gown (my personal own). This is in the condition it would have been in the shop "before" being sold, it is LIKE BRAND NEW!!
DRESSINGGOWN1940008.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Miss sofia said:
Good lord, now that is a robe!!!:eusa_clap

Thanks again! I couldn't believe my luck actually, as it is in such GOOD condition, not a moth nip nor pulled thread to be seen. As I said, it is AS NEW. Plus I got it at a very good price (much less than an M&S new gown!) at a vintage show (so even at these shows, little bargains do lurk in the shadowy corners;) ).
Now to pefect my Niven or Fairbanks stance!!

Ciao Sofia!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
To find a Golden Era wool anything with no moth nips is terrific! Lavendar by the way is a good moth deterrent! But you probably already knew that... It is indeed fun when one finds a treasure (especially at a good price) at vintage shows! Yes, Paddy- that stance... David Niven or even Roger Livesey perhaps ;)

PADDY said:
Thanks again! I couldn't believe my luck actually, as it is in such GOOD condition, not a moth nip nor pulled thread to be seen. As I said, it is AS NEW. Plus I got it at a very good price (much less than an M&S new gown!) at a vintage show (so even at these shows, little bargains do lurk in the shadowy corners;) ).
Now to pefect my Niven or Fairbanks stance!!

Ciao Sofia!

HepKitty

One Too Many
BinkieBaumont said:
" Scans from Esquire February 1938"

4699733072_2de1980055_b.jpg

4699749080_001dd0975c_b.jpg

not that my opinion matters in a thread this old but I think the men look very classy. I have a few vintage patterns for men that my mother had stashed away but I think just shirts, no PJs or robes

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
An old thread about OLD THREADS...

Old threads are the best! they mature like a fine malt and get better with each tasting!! as with this one. Some lovely Jim Jams and Gowns!! :eusa_clap

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Paddy, that is a lovely robe! However, I think we need photos of you modeling it for us, complete with pipe and slippers, and perhaps a hound by your side.

Agree, ladies? lol

HepKitty

One Too Many
fortworthgal said:
Paddy, that is a lovely robe! However, I think we need photos of you modeling it for us, complete with pipe and slippers, and perhaps a hound by your side.

Agree, ladies? lol

yes please!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran