Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEN'S PAJAMAS and DRESSING GOWNS

DerMann

Practically Family
I bought a set of blue striped, cotton broadcloth pyjamas from Landsend, and by some means I've managed to stain the top to the point where I'm embarrassed to wear it to bed any more.

Damnably comfortable to sleep in, and it does give you a dressed air, even though you're not leaving the house (I used to hate letting people see me before I got dressed on Saturdays and what not). I still wear the pants and a white t-shirt. Must look into getting a new set, as none of the stores sell a lightweight pyjama, always a heavy-weight cotton flannel which is terrible for any Texas weather.

I'm also very interested in trying a nightshirt. Only place I've seen them is Vintage Shirt Co., and they're quite expensive for what they are (a long shirt).

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Der Mann --

Nightshirts are really simple to sew, and the materials can be had for very little. Do you know anyone who's handy with a sewing machine?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
For Mr. Scott

Shoes547.jpg

DerMann

Practically Family
Polka Dot said:
Der Mann --

Nightshirts are really simple to sew, and the materials can be had for very little. Do you know anyone who's handy with a sewing machine?

Oh, I imagine they are, however, I do not even know anyone with a sewing machine :\

I've found a few others online, and I might buy one after a pair of spectators.

alexandra

Practically Family
CharlesB said:
Great in theory but in practice I can only fall asleep completely nude.

This used to be me. Then one day I felt like wearing jammies again that night and never again felt as happy nude as in pjs.

jawisher

Familiar Face
DerMann said:
I'm also very interested in trying a nightshirt. Only place I've seen them is Vintage Shirt Co., and they're quite expensive for what they are (a long shirt).

I actually own two night-shirts, and I'll attest that they are the most comfortable pajamas to sleep in. You can find them at Nordstrom, in nice light-weight cotton, and they aren't too expensive.

DecoDahlia

Familiar Face
To quote Audrey Hepburn as Princess Ann in Roman Holiday;

Princess Ann: I hate this nightgown. I hate all my nightgowns, and I hate all my underwear too.
Countess: My dear, you have lovely things.
Princess Ann: But I'm not two hundred years old. Why can't I sleep in pajamas?
Countess: Pajamas?
Princess Ann: Just the top part. Did you know that there are people who sleep with absolutely nothing on at all?
Countess: I rejoice to say I do not.

By the way, men's nightshirts can be had for a reasonable price from The Vermont Country Store:

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=35651&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=night+shirts

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
The Dressing Gown

Hail Loungers!

Any men here wear a dressing gown? I am not talk about smoking jacket. The dressing gown is seen in many Golden Age movies worn over clothing before William Powell or William Warren went out for the evening.

Have lost the distinction between the dressing gown and the robe?

Do any companies still make "dressing gowns" that are not just robes under another name?

Is their difference?

If you have a vintage one, please post a pic....

Thanks!

Wearing PAJAMAS and DRESSING GOWNS

Greetings all
I wear Chinese silk pj's imported from China (black brocade) and a vintage heavy silk dressing gown with quilted cuffs and collar, gown is red patterned, collars and cuffs are black, soft slippers are red velvet with an embroidered motif (Welsh dragon)
will post piccy's later.
sleep tight, as we say over here

Vampyre

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Not for sleeping

Sometimes I will wear a dressing gown while in the process of getting dressed for an evening out, or mixing drinks in the evening for an evening in.

I see how they are vintage inspired, they look good in the movies
- but for sleeping, pajamas are not allowed in Barbiland.

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
I suspect dressing gowns are simply English anachronisms, left over from the time when Englishmen had to make do with a fireplace or a pay-to-heat in-room heater, so that if one took off his overcoat and suit coat, one had to put on another coat simply to stay warm, long after Americans in the furthest reaches of cowboydom were enjoying the benefits of central heat. Oh, wait, they still make dressing gowns in England. Hmmm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points