Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEN'S PAJAMAS and DRESSING GOWNS

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
I have a nice pair of striped pyjamas, and a nice striped gown, but I hardly wear them. We have blankets and central heating, so anything more than underwear is too warm for me to sleep. Same is true for this Irish beauty, though I really had looked for it (or something similar) for quite some time until I found it:
nightcap.jpg

I sometimes do wear the gown, but not with pyjamas, rather with suit trousers, shirt and tie.

chloe

Familiar Face
Vintage Robe

I have a vintage Saks Fifth Avenue robe with some sort of either personalized intials/design or perhaps the name of the designer. Was there a designer that did this? Thank you. Chloe

Cobden

Practically Family
1886.jpg

Man on the left: I know it must be upsetting for you sir, but you have to face facts. This telegraph clearly states that the Royal Pyjama Corps is to be dispanded. I'm sorry

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Sleeping Cap?

What is this called? How did you find it? I'd like to find such a thing - maybe best to just make one?

Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
...this Irish beauty, though I really had looked for it (or something similar) for quite some time until I found it:
nightcap.jpg

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Sleeping cap, night cap, nightcap… The problem with finding one through google or eBay might be that they're so uncommon these days, and at the same time there's an abundance of metaphorical use of these words. Maybe it helps to add 'tassel'

You'll find lot's of copied-and-pasted entries with the following, as I see right now:
Night cap: Men's cap worn informally indoors from the 16th to the 19th century. The cap had a deep crown made of four segments, with the edge turned up to form a close brim.​

I found mine in an "Irish Shop" somewhere outside of Ireland.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Got it!

I think this is it:

cgn101a325w.jpg
grdswy.jpg
grdswty.jpg

At least the colour samples look very much like my cap - less so the cap on the picture above. Might be the angle.

The pertinent pages are here and here.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
How to

scotrace said:
I'd like to find such a thing - maybe best to just make one?

The one I have is made of two (not four) identical triangles, no lining. At the bottom they're seamed. One is left like that, the other one has an elastic band seamed in. Tassel on top for the amusement of the patron's cats, and there you go.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Guys - Robe for breakfast?

Here is an odd thing that I have been pondering.

In all of these old movies, the men usually eat breakfast in a dressing gown or robe over their clothes.

What does everyone here do?

Do you shower, dress, put on a robe or dressing gown and go down to eat breakfast?

Or

Do you put your robe on, eat breakfast, then shower and dress?

Or

No robe - no dressing gown - just shower, dress, eat and leave.

Does the order change for the weekend?

This is the only place I think I could present this odd inquiry.

THANKS!

BRS

Archie Goodwin

One of the Regulars
Depends on whom I am eating with

I don't mean that in a smarmy, lounge lizard way. I am an old married man, so when the in-laws (my wife's family) or the outlaws (my family) are staying with us I definitely do the robe over pajamas thing. If I am home alone with my wife and the future (our son), I am a bit more casual. I don't get a shower before I head downstairs, as my first responsibility on waking up (regardless of who is staying with us) is taking the dogs outside for their morning exercise.

JamesT1

Familiar Face
Bash alarm clock --->Robe --->Breakfast --->email --->Shower

For the weekends/holidays/people staying the night

Shower --->Dress --->Breakfast

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
If I had my druthers, I'd eat while in a robe. But often, when in a rush, I'll dress first.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
No one should have a silk robe who doesn't also have a secure and unimpeachable sense of one's own masculinity, or lack of same.

I have a plaid cotton flannel robe for the cooler months and a seersucker for the warmer. They're handy for making coffee, oatmeal and that. But I'm a middle-class midwestern boy at heart, and some things just don't add up. The day I lounge about in a robe till 11:00am, or put one on over shirtsleeves and street pants, is the day I ogle my last well-turned ankle and apply for life membership in the Society of the Epicene.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
I'm with the Baron, unless I have company. Then it's either a dressing gown over pyjamas, gown over basic clothing, or fully dressed - depending on the company.

I consider a bathrobe to be different from a dressing gown, for what it's worth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot