Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's smart classic trousers, in the U.K., <£40/pair? help!

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Hello chaps,

I hope it's okay for a lady to post here, also, if someone's answered my exact question please redirect me!

On behalf of my fella, does anyone know of anywhere in the U.K. that sells good quality, classic smart or smart casual trousers, for less than £40 a pair? Very specific, I know, but I figured this'd be the place to ask!

(my guy's not a vintage dresser per se, but is getting increasingly fed up with the poor quality, trendiness and prices on the high street!)

Any help very much appreciated! :)

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Marks and Spencer would be a good place to start. They may have a reputation for being unfashionable at the moment but their quality beats most of the high street shops.

All of my smart trousers are from charity shops though - I've found some very good quality flannel trousers (in black and grey) there for less than £5 a pair.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Thank you, everyone! Sorry about the terminology confusion, I'm not sure if I was using the term in its absolutely correct sense, but the kind of trousers you guys have been suggesting are exactly the kind I meant, so thank you! I have passed on your suggestions for approval :) The Charles Tyrwhitt trousers look lovely, hopefully he'll be swayed! Thanks again!

AntonAAK

Practically Family
What does the term "smart" mean in the description of trousers for the UK guys? I am not familiar with it as a style descriptive term.

This is a word that is used very differently on either side of the pond. If I am right, you chaps over there tend to use 'smart' to mean 'bright', 'clever' or 'intelligent'. We almost never use it in that sense (although it may be becoming more prevalent amongst the younger generation who pick up American usage more readily than old sticks-in-the-mud like me).

'Smart' over here means 'well dressed' or 'well turned out'. So as billyspew says 'smart trousers' would be dres or formal trousers as opposed to jeans/sweats etc.

Edward

Bartender
Dress/formal trousers

I have to second (or is it third) M&S, I'd also look into the Charles Tyrwhitt.

Yes... Or if you're going up a price band to the sub-£50, check into Roderick Charles when they have a sale on. I find their trousers to be a superbly 1950s-esque cut, with a nice, high waist, sitting just at my navel. Plenty roomy in the thigh too. Depending upon your definition of "smart" relative to "formal", I can highly recommend their corduroys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael