Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Wallets or Money Clips

ICannotPlayBass

New in Town
It is time for me to pick up a new wallet, but the only vintage items that I have found are the size of a check book. This has led to me wondering if many of the male members carry vintage wallets or money clips; if you do, would you be please post a picture?

I have tried various key words in the search engine, but I have not found prior threads directly addressing this. If I have missed something, please post the link and this one may be put to rest.

R

Ron

I have a long wallet (for suit coat pocket) that was my grandfather's. Very similar to the checkbook style you can buy now. No place in it for credit cards however.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
I've been all over the map on wallets. My latest is a black leather bi-fold from Duluth Pack with a matching checkbook. I no longer wear suits to work so the checkbook style wallet is too large to carry. The quality of Duluth Pack is very good, I've had mine for over a year with no signs of wear.

ICannotPlayBass

New in Town
nobodyspecial said:
I no longer wear suits to work so the checkbook style wallet is too large to carry.
Pretty much every day calls for Dickies and a shirt for me, so I had to rule out the checkbook size wallets too. As much as I like the vintage wallets that I have come across, I do not think that I could comfortably carry one.

Valhson said:
I have a money clip for the cash and a small bi-fold leather business card holder I carry the insurance card, ID and one credit card in. I like minimial.

That was the direction I am heading; I recently stumbled across a combination wallet that is bi-fold for identification cards with a money clip on the back. I have been struggling to find one of decent quality though.

Thanks, to the three of you.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
i haven't found a decent vintage money clip so i just fold my dough and shove in my left front pocket and keep a bi-fold in my right rear...its pretty thin 'cause all it has is my DL and bank cards...pretty simple...

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
I'm thinking of one of these, http://www.duluthpack.com/product_detail.aspx?product=Money Clip and carrying it in my front pocket.

I've been using a metal money clip for a bit such that I don't have to dig in my wallet as often and the Duluth Pack product may be a better choice. I hate sitting on my wallet and never carry it in my back pocket. Generally a wallet is a bit bulky for my front pocket. One thing I like about cooler weather is my wallet is always in my jacket pocket. Warmer weather is a problem.

skbellis

One of the Regulars
magnets vs. credit cards?

That is a neat wallet/money clip by Duluth Pack. But I would be afraid that the strong magnets would mess up my credit cards.

---Scott

Jay

Practically Family
This reminds me, does anyone make a decent wallet with a snap closure to keep it closed? I've been looking for one on and off for the past couple months with no luck yet.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
skbellis said:
That is a neat wallet/money clip by Duluth Pack. But I would be afraid that the strong magnets would mess up my credit cards.

---Scott

good point...i like the Duluth, but magnets...[huh]

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Jay, try a taxi wallet. It's got a snap on it, it's compact, and you can wear it on your belt if you so choose.

I've been using a couple of different cigarette cases when I'm out on the town, first an Elgin that was a nice elongated size, perfect for bills and cards, then a sterling curved custom engraved one that I picked up at a garage sale for $10. Slim and flat in the pocket, holds bills folded in half, and the strap / clip holds down your cards, license, and other items. I really like the curved sterling one because it hardly makes an imprint in clothing and conforms nicely to the body.

It's pretty impressive to pull out an engraved cigarette case when you go to pay for something. I get lots of compliments.

My everyday knockaround wallet is a standard double billfold with an integrated change purse inside, instead of card holders. Hard to find here, it's more common in Europe. I hate having loose change jangle around in my pocket, having a built-in snap-close change purse in your wallet keeps change handy, but out of the way until you need it.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
as noted in Donnie Brasco, "A wise guy never carries money in his wallet", and Victor Villasenor's father in his book Burro Genius, "Only a fool carries money in his wallet"......something like that...:D im not calling any of you fools, just an observation lol

_tone

New in Town
my vote is for the money clip. you can keep a credit card, driver's license, in there as well. beats a wallet and confounds pickpockets as an added bonus.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family

Edward

Bartender
After years of carrying separate wallets for cash and cards - one in each back pocket, chained to my belt - I've finally decided to go back to one. The theory was always that if I lost one, I still had the other, but it has become more hassle than it;s worht, really, and in practice I rarely used the cash wallet - it just took up a pocket and collected junk in it!

For nights out when I don't want to carry more than just a bank card and some cash, I'm thinking of going over to a Jimi wallet:

wallet.gif

not remotely vintage looking, but made from recycled plastic, relatively inexpensive, and convenient. I've been using one of these since May to carry my Oyster card (smartcard for London transport), and it has proven a very useful tool indeed. Slips into a front trouser pocket with ease.

BigLittleTim

Familiar Face
Nowadays it's not just bills and credit cards. Today you've got a cutomer card for every store you shop in!

I miss out on lots of in-store discounts because I refuse to get a CVS Card, Starbuck's Card, etc.

There's no more room in my wallet.

-BigLittleTim

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Edward said:
I've been using one of these since May to carry my Oyster card (smartcard for London transport), and it has proven a very useful tool indeed. Slips into a front trouser pocket with ease.

Only for this one card, or do you put banknotes or other cards in as well? Otherwise, I should think the card on its own will slip into a front trouser pocket with even greater ease.

Valhson

One of the Regulars
BigLittleTim said:
Nowadays it's not just bills and credit cards. Today you've got a cutomer card for every store you shop in!

I miss out on lots of in-store discounts because I refuse to get a CVS Card, Starbuck's Card, etc.

There's no more room in my wallet.

-BigLittleTim

YEP! I refuse to be weighed down by all the B.S. commercial cards. I do like how the supermarket went to you being able to put your phone number in the pad instead of always having to swipe the card.

On the wallet front, A friend of mine (also a minimalist in this area) got a nice silver cig case and uses that for his cards. He carries the money in a clip... He gets lots of comments on when he pulls it out to pay with card.

BigLittleTim

Familiar Face
Fossil wallets

Check out Fossil. An earlier post put me onto them...

"http://www.fossil.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryView?langId=-1&storeId=12052&catalogId=10052&parent_category_rn=30001&categoryId=30015&N=0&Va=140"

Cheers!

BigLittletim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner