Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michigan Anyone?

epr25

Practically Family
We are thinking of taking a vacation in Michigan maybe in the late summer or in the fall. I was wondering if anyone knew any out of the way vintage places that might otherwise be missed. We try to stay away from tourist locations so small town to thrift shop and hang out in is great. Any info would be very appreciated.

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
Any particular area of Michigan you have in mind?

Late summer is going to be pretty warm, so I'd suggest something involving water, probably along the Lake Michigan coast towards the north, or even north of the thumb on Lake Huron.

If you want out-of-the-way small towns, there's always the U.P... there are touristy areas, but it's kitchy tourist, not glitzy tourist. Pictured Rocks is great, Fayette State Park is really neat if you're a history buff. The Porcupine Mountains are beautiful if you don't mind being out in the middle of nowhere hiking around the woods.

There's always Detroit, if you want to see a dingy city with some hidden gems (and I do mean gems; there's some really neat places here.)

Hugh Beaumont

One of the Regulars
Up the Lake Michigan coast, ending up at the Mackinaw Bridge.

Unfortunately, last time I did, I was a child, but we had so much fun, it's stayed with me all of these years.

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
This may be a really weird suggestion, but if you go near Lansing, Elderly Music may be worth a stop, depending on your interests. It's a really cool, guitar-focused music store (particularly acoustic). They also have an extensive CD collection, with a lot of unique/hard to find selections, especially if you're interested in either older or unique genres (bluegrass, jazz, blues, zydeco, etc.). I have no affiliation with the store. I've just shopped and ordered from them.

Here's a link: http://elderly.com

And to the recordings page: http://elderly.com/recordings/recordings.htm

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Frankenmuth! I've never been but I've been regaled of tales of this town Frankenmuth. A "Christmas store" and German cuisine on every corner. I want to go, just haven't yet. I hope you have fun, if you go to Frankenmuth let me know what YOU think!

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Upper Peninsula. Northern Pike. 'Nuff said. :D

In fact, Michigan has the BEST vintage fishing postcards. Most depict oversized fish being pulled from the area lakes by flannel-clad men.
6a00d8341bf93e53ef010537184d7f970b-500wi

Foofoogal

Banned
I'll still recommend Macinac Island.
---------------
this is the one place I want to see before I die. Seriously. I want to stand on that porch. If I could take a train to get there even better.

Inky

One Too Many
I'm reviving this thread in the hopes that someone will give us ideas on things to do in the Battle Creek/Kalamazoo area of Michigan.

We will be there for eight days in June and attending my husband's 20th High School Reunion on one evening but we are having a difficult time finding vintage type of things to do or areas to shop/visit.

Even though he grew up there it has been over 15 years and he can't recall anything fun to do there (that does not bode well, haha).

please help, all you lovely Michigan folks!

bradford

Familiar Face
Inky, I am not currently in Michigan, but I attended college there and have tons of family still in the state.

If you are in K-Zoo/Battle Creek area you should head over to Marshall. It's only a few miles East of Battle Creek on I-94.

The town is a National Historic Landmark Area and is full of historical mansions and other buildings. There are some great antique shops right in the downtown area.

Here's a good link to local attractions from the Marshall Chamber of Commerce...

http://www.marshallmi.org/attractions.taf

If you do visit, definitely try and stop in at Schuler's for a bite to eat. It's famous for it's Bar Scheeze and also the historical quotes inscribed on the ceiling beams and walls. We used to go up there for special occasions when I was in college.

http://www.schulersrestaurant.com/

Enjoy the trip, that's a beautiful part of Southern Michigan.

Inky

One Too Many
thank you for that location as well, Bradford

I am also interested in seeing some lighthouses and understand that there are some at lake michigan - any suggestion for that sort of sightseeing?

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
I'm not too familiar with southwest Michigan. My sister went to Kalamazoo College, so I've been to Kzoo a few times, but not really explored it much.

There's a good restaurant called "Food Dance" on Michigan Ave. Nothing vintage about it, but the food is great. There's a bar with live blues that I saw a sign for, but I haven't been there. My sister really enjoyed a piano bar somewhere in town, I think called Monaco or something like that. Bells Brewery has great beer; their Oberon is a seasonal that's one of the more popular microbrews in the state. Their stuff is sold all over Michigan.

If you've got some time, there's the Auburn/Cord/Deusenburg museum in Auburn, IN. It's about 100 miles from Kzoo: I-94 east to Marshal, I-69 south to Auburn.

davestlouis

Practically Family
My bride's 25th HS reunion is coming up this summer in Linden MI...guess we'll make the trip. Mine's in Cincinnati, but a different weekend. Bronner's is a cool store, we get emailed specials from them all the time, they're a huge Christmas store in Frankenmuth.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Most of the good Southwest Michigan spots that I can think of have already been hit. If you like aircraft, the Kalamazoo Air Zoo (in Portage) is worth a look. I’m not sure if South Haven has a lighthouse or not, but it’s got some vintage charm to it.

There are two settlements of Frank Lloyd Wright houses in the Kalamazoo area, one in Kalamazoo proper and the other in Galesburg. I used to live in the one in Galesburg, so I remember the address: 11036 Hawthorne Dr., Galesburg, MI.

You can also visit the campus that Will Rogers called “the acropolis of Kalamazoo” - Western Michigan University’s historic East Campus. It’s being demolished by neglect by the university, so I don’t think you can get into any of the buildings, but it’s worth a look around.

You could also check out the Mountain Home Cemetery behind the Kalamazoo College campus. The Sexton’s Lodge there is where I learned the proper way to restore historic windows.

Sorry I don’t have anything in Battle Creek proper. My grandmother went to college there in the 1930s (in a college attached the famous sanitarium), but I’ve never been. I think there’s a restaurant in the old Michigan Central Depot called Clara’s, and I suppose you could take a tour of the cereal factories. If you want to get a good feeling for vintage Battle Creek, you might rent The Road to Wellville which is set at the Battle Creek Sanitarium around the turn of the century.

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner