Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mike Disfarmer: 1930s-1940s portraits

LadyBaltimore

Familiar Face
Mike Disfarmer, born Mike Meyer (he changed his name to disassociate with his family's agrarian roots) in 1884, had a portrait studio on the back porch of his mother's house in Herber Springs, Arkansas, where he photographed people in the community for modest fees. After a tornado swept through in the 1930s, he opened a portrait studio on main street and became a full time photographer. He was obsessed with having the right lighting and supposedly the lighting adjustments for a portrait could sometimes take an hour. Disfarmer was reclusive and a bit of an oddity. Not much is known about his personal life. His work was never published or received any notoriety until discovered posthumously. Here's some examples of his work, sorry for the variance in size, difficult to find good quality scans of his online...

timthumb.php

20727_h500w820gt.jpg

40236_h2048w2048gt.jpg

1307136125-555-eventpage-danhurlin_disfarmer-pic2-500.jpg

20724_h500w820gt.jpg

15558808327_b39a11aed9_b.jpg

1028.jpg

43o.png

iii.jpg

15558525348_5566806f8e_b.jpg

P.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I wasn't quite sure what section of the forums to post this in...

TheDon

New in Town
Very cool. It's definitely a rural area with all of the overalls. Nice view of regular working class Americans. Thanks for sharing

DecoDame

One of the Regulars
I've gotten several books from the library of collections of his work. He was certainly an odd duck, but did manage to amass an amazing piece of history of that particular town's citizens. These folks shown here don't look too hard up, but I remember quite a few where you could tell they were living a pretty hardscrabble life (more from their bodies and faces than clothes). Fascinating, but also hard to look at.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran