Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Milan Mania

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I have a Dobbs that is real soft you could roll it up. For me Milan's are cooler the high count Monte's get hot on my head. Semi calado are my favorite Panama. Like to keep a cool head.
Semi-calado-madness's

Also love the colors of vintage Milan's the ribbons and body's are so colorful and I am always wanting more.:)

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Well, I decided that it's Straw Hat Day as of May 1 this year, but I already wore my Olive Milan on Thursday April 26. I like it a lot.

Olive_Milan_Head_Post.jpg

Front View

Olive_Milan_Head_Side_Post.jpg

Side view

Olive_Milan_Quarter_Post.jpg

Quarter view showing the crease

This hat feels very nice. I didn't get any comments one way or the other at work, but then I've been wearing Fedoras for a few years now.

Later

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Just received my "Truman" Milan in white from Hats-Plus. (Pics to come soon, but look here: http://www.hats-plus.com/p-420-truman-milan-straw-hat.aspx) It fit great and the shape was terrific (after I did a little brim-shaping with some steam) -- but the ribbon, unlike the website pic, was pure blinding white! A little TOO stylin' for me.

So this weekend I ventured down to Shushan's in the French Quarter and got a 1" ribbon in olive. Hooking it on over the wider white ribbon produced a neat two-tone effect that I really like. The hat is heavier than my Biltmore and Dobbs panamas, but seems about as cool to wear. Which isn't very cool at all in this sweatbox of a climate.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Milan is a braid of straw (or more often now synthetic attempting to look like straw) and can be lighter or heavier just like the gauge of the strands in your Panama. The braids are then sewn together as a spiral with thread. A lightweight Milan braid without stiffener is plenty floppy too, perhaps even more so than a very tightly woven Montecristi.

wine65

One of the Regulars
I was at Optimo in Chicago and got a chance to try on their Milan. Very nice indeed! Reminded me of some of the vintage Milan's I've seen in the past. Milan's tend to be heavier than Panama's but looser weave as well. I personally think the Milans have a more casual look, whereas
the Panama's can depending on ribbon and style go either way. I agree with Ed no substitue for a good semi-calado for intense heat. Needless to say I'll be ordering a Milan from Optimo very soon. I love all straws and get to wear them often here in West Texas!
Steve

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Wow, after a ton of rain the sun is shining and I'm thinking straw hats!

This is a Disney milan that was an eBay find over the winter. It came with a pug (that is now on another hat) and Tom Gomez sorted the new ribbon for me.

The straw is really soft to handle - very pleased with this one!

D314886-L.jpg

D314888-L.jpg

D314891-L.jpg

D314893-L.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24