Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military Fakes- sometimes you just have to share the joke...

Mojito

One Too Many
My grandfather was with the AIF 1st machine gun batallion in WWI...he rarely spoke about the war, except when he'd been drinking. My father as a small boy inevitably asked the question "Did you kill anyone?" Grandfather answered slowly, "Son, there was a day when I think I must have killed hundreds...they just kept coming at me, and I just kept mowing them down." I'll have to check again with Dad, as it's slipped my mind which battle it was and I need to see that it's written down (I never knew my grandfather and no one ever interviewed him about his experiences - all we have are what my father and aunt remember him telling them).

My brother, on the other hand, is trying hard to convince his little nephews that he did NOT fight in a war. When they visit with my parents they stay in his old room they go exploring, and have found his small collection of militaria...a WWII era American helmet, a bayonet, a lot of books...their mother tried to convince them he wasn't a soldier, but when they found a plastic gaming gun in a drawer they took it to her as definitive proof: "SEE! He was in the war!" (We wonder which war they think he was in).

My father new a self-aggrandiser back in the 50s, a fellow journalist. He was always telling stories along the lines of "back in the war, when I was a spitfire pilot...", and everyone knew it was completely false, earning him the reputation of being an incorrigible liar. But the one story he did NOT tell was about his one act of extreme bravery - when he attempted to save his girlfriend from a shark attack. One of the witnesses told my father he actually got astride the shark and was punching it in the head to get it to release her. He received a bravery medal for it, but did not talk about the event later. I've often wondered if it was because it was so traumatic - the victim died in spite of his efforts. (I'm obscuring the names here - the attack is famous in Australia, and I've since met people who knew the victim).

Gene

Practically Family
My brother, on the other hand, is trying hard to convince his little nephews that he did NOT fight in a war. When they visit with my parents they stay in his old room they go exploring, and have found his small collection of militaria...a WWII era American helmet, a bayonet, a lot of books...their mother tried to convince them he wasn't a soldier, but when they found a plastic gaming gun in a drawer they took it to her as definitive proof: "SEE! He was in the war!" (We wonder which war they think he was in).

Wait, so they're purposely trying to cover up the fact that he fought? What good does that do anybody?

Mojito

One Too Many
Oh, no - he certainly hasn't served in the military. But the kiddies - at the ages of 3 and 7 - are convinced that he did, and we're covering it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24