Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military Hat Photos

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the shots! Yes, both of them interest me. Makes me want to get a blank Cooperstown cap and use as the basis for a repro. The Navy hat is nice, too! Thank you again!

dean

Hatnut

New in Town
military hats ??

I'M REALY INTERESTED WITH THE US CAVALRY 1883 THROUGH BEGINNING OF WWII. MY MAIN INTERST IS WITH THESE HATS THE SPANISH AMERICAN WAR 1898.

deanglen

Hatnut said:
I'M REALY INTERESTED WITH THE US CAVALRY 1883 THROUGH BEGINNING OF WWII. MY MAIN INTERST IS WITH THESE HATS THE SPANISH AMERICAN WAR 1898.

Welcome to the Lounge! A man after my own heart! I built a reputation on this style of hat here, ask anyone. It was a search for examples of M1883-M1898 hats that led me to the Lounge. Check out these threads, I started all of them:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=22304

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=19110

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=16158

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=10883

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=10861

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=16533

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=13776

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=11683

dean

Caparzo

New in Town
East german visor cap ( 1983 ) :

dscf1283ww4.jpg

dscf1286bg1.jpg

West German Gebirgsjäger cap ( mountain troop ) :

dscf1292gy7.jpg

dscf1288hs4.jpg

Hatnut

New in Town
deanglen re:campaign hats

I have done some research since my first visit i have several questions concerning the campaign hat worn during the span-am war.
1- montana peak vs.the cattlemans peak which was the most popular ?
2- enlisted hat material used fur or wool?
3-cord,cross sabers and regiment no.was this worn in the field/combat?
4-was the above mentioned articles bright or subdued in color?
5-breather vents on sides of the crowns common?if so what pattern?
6-what company makes/sells the most authentic hats?
7-Arizona territory 1880 thru 1916 what was the most common style for these time frames?
8-was their a regimental/squadron difference in style example,the 10th reg.vs other regiments assigned to fort.Huachuca?
this would be a great help
thanks

Hatnut

New in Town
deanglen said:
dean thanks for the info this has been a lot of help form what i've seen most during that time appeared to prefer the cattleman style crown this hat kind of reminds me of my grand -fathers open road stetson! again many thanks and lets stay in touch!

Hatnut

New in Town
deanglen said:
I wish I could show you the wool CLOUSES RANGERs cap,(tamie) my father made a few years ago? your pics are great!!

Enoch

New in Town
chapeau de brousse

Greetings everyone! New poster here. I've read and enjoyed these forums for a few months now and thought that I would weigh in with this post.

I'm interested in getting a "safari hat" like this:
CHAPBROUSSE_1.jpg

This was the style of slouch hat worn by the French in Indochina and Algeria:
Horst_Tschad.jpg

I've only found one site that offers a reproduction of this hat (first image) located in France and I'm thinking of giving them a try.

Is anyone here interested in or fascinated by camo patterns as well? My favorite pattern is the famous "tiger stripe" from the Vietnam War:
Sealpaint2.jpg

I own some reproduction fatigues that are based on this famous pattern. This pattern can be seen in the John Wayne movie "Green Berets". From what I've read, the pattern was derived from the French "lizard" pattern:
french-m64-3b.jpg

and adopted by various US forces from the South Vietnamese. It's curious that whilst wearing my tiger stripes in the past, only one out of three Vietnam vets that I've met actually recognized the pattern.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
You can purchase the actual pattern and style uniform from tiger stripe products. It looks alot better than the one that is put on the bdu style outfits.
I like the British dpm, and the Rhodesian pattern as seen in wild geese.I really like the new ACUs too.

Enoch

New in Town
indycop said:
You can purchase the actual pattern and style uniform from tiger stripe products. It looks alot better than the one that is put on the bdu style outfits.
I like the British dpm, and the Rhodesian pattern as seen in wild geese.I really like the new ACUs too.

Yes, that's the version that I own. In the twill with cigarette pockets on the sleeve and leg (fits a packet of Lucky Strike or Camel non-filters nicely). Yes, the Rhodesian pattern is another distinctive pattern as well. There is another pattern (much darker) that's commonly sold as tiger stripes but doesn't really look anything like the patterns worn in Vietnam.

deanglen

Tango Yankee said:
but I can't resist. Here is a selection of Air Force hats I've worn over the years. I'm missing the Marine desert hat I wore in my last assignment, and of course there were different baseball caps worn with fatigues and BDUs that aren't represented here.

Starting in Basic Training in 1980:

ABTomYeager-1.jpg

Six years later in Korea:

TominKorea86.jpg

A few years later in Texas:

TSgtYeagerFullLength90.jpg

Later that same year (1990) in the UAE for Operation DESERT SHIELD (yeah, we were in woodland BDUs-go figure!)

tomcroppeddesertshield90.jpg

Fast forward more than a decade to the next desert war, this time in Saudi Arabia (and in DCUs this time!):

TominDesertGear.jpg

tomwithwarningsigncropped.jpg

And ending with my retirement in 2005, wearing the same hat that started this post:

TomandRhondaRetirementday.jpg

Regards,
Tom

Tom,
Very much appreciated these photos. Keep aiming high!

dean

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
deanglen said:
Tom,
Very much appreciated these photos. Keep aiming high!

dean

Thanks, Dean!

Funny you should say that about aiming high... I've been applying for civilian jobs with the Dept of the Air Force!:D I'd love to go back in one way or another--I really miss it.

I've got a bunch of unit baseball caps I'll be showing eventually. They are products of their times, of course--mesh back, that sort of thing. They were worn with fatigues and later BDUs.

Regards,
Tom

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Hey, Dean!

:eek:fftopic: Do you know the tag line that those of us who were at SAC (worked at HQ SAC) or in SAC (assigned to other SAC bases) used to add to that "Peace is our Profession" motto? It was "War is just a hobby!" :p

Towards the end, though, they actually changed the official motto to "War is our Profession; Peace is our Product." That was when the AF was really getting into the Total Quality Management scene.

Regards,
Tom

savoy6

New in Town
Greetings everyone! New poster here. I've read and enjoyed these forums for a few months now and thought that I would weigh in with this post.

I'm interested in getting a "safari hat" like this:
CHAPBROUSSE_1.jpg

This was the style of slouch hat worn by the French in Indochina and Algeria:
Horst_Tschad.jpg

I've only found one site that offers a reproduction of this hat (first image) located in France and I'm thinking of giving them a try.

if it's a seller called planesdejocs he has very good repops...though i see the olive ones that are from algeria more often on his site then the khaki ones from indochina.....i just got my lesser repop from a stateside retailer...but its a good wear anyway to go with my other FICW stuff...or in the snow....lol..
102_3617.jpg

DRB

One Too Many
Sorry guys, couldn't resist. I have been waiting for some kind of military thread to appear.

Here is a plaque given to me after 3 years (2 tours) of Drill Sergeant in the US. Army.

Pictured is the actual last hat I wore and my whistles. Nice memorabilia. I took the hat off the plaque temporarily to clean it.

Feb122010987.jpg

DrillSergeanthatcleanedApril2010.jpg

savoy6

New in Town
yeah...lol..i didn't realize how much i'd necro-posted......nice montana peaked campaign hat......most of those i've seen ,even old ones, are really stiff...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot