Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
My opinion on Commando Sweaters is as follows:

On girls they look super cute. On guys they look manly and reminds people to not mess with you. I own one British green sweater and one British black sweater.

I have never seen them on females - I have always thought of commando sweaters as a very 'masculine' garment. So I can only ake your word for it about girls and agree with you about chaps.

I have several of them- olive green, rifle green, navy blue, air force blue, black. But then I've always been an aficionado - as well as being rugged and elegant, they are also extremely comfortable. And those are the crucial tests of a timeless classic.

Todd V

Familiar Face
Mr. Chasseur,

I have been looking for a blue commando sweater, though it is difficult to find them in the US without the nylon name plate on the chest. Do you know if the offering from Trancee Militaire are wool? Do you know how the sizes (e.g. "6 and") translate into measurements?

I may order one of these nice sweaters from France!

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Some really good quality products there. If I weren't already well-stocked I would order one. I might anyway - just to have the honour of wearing a genuine USMC sweater.

Todd V

Familiar Face
Ah, mitts nitts is a good find. They have exactly what I wanted -- navy blue wool vneck without the name and badge tabs. Great price too! I'll probably order one up tonight.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I have the black version (wool, crew neck)... I am wearing it today as it happens.

Outstanding sartorial style, Oxford.
If you would like a silver Special Forces dagger/crossed arrows crest pin to affix sweater right breast,
fire a PM with your post box address.

FRASER_NASH

One of the Regulars
I go Commando too!! (yes Gents, you can quote me on that!). I have a few original British wooly-pulleys from the 70's and 80's that I wear when I'm out with the dogs or need an extra layer on - all purely functional with an old Barbour jacket thrown on top!

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
One of the best aspects of the commando sweater is the turn-back cuffs. On my US Army black woolly pully they are rolled back about 6", which looks great.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I go Commando too!! (yes Gents, you can quote me on that!). I have a few original British wooly-pulleys from the 70's and 80's that I wear when I'm out with the dogs or need an extra layer on - all purely functional with an old Barbour jacket thrown on top![/Q

Yes, all mine are in the traditional ribbed wool crew neck style - and I also sometimes wear them with old Barbour jackets.
Timeless quality.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Well, they being a uniform item for the US Coast Guard, I cannot wear the navy colored ones, and I try not to wear uniform items anyway, but I agree that they are a nice accoutrement to any outfit. Warm too!

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Well, they being a uniform item for the US Coast Guard, I cannot wear the navy colored ones, and I try not to wear uniform items anyway, but I agree that they are a nice accoutrement to any outfit. Warm

I don't quite understand why you can't wear them because of the US Coastguard. They use a v-neck, so a Crew would surely be OK?

James007

Familiar Face
A Brit Or a Canuck! A know a few Thompson just from my Family line that served in the Second world war!
And i love those sweaters, do not have any right now but i collect world war one and world war two uniforms of CDN and British design!
Also had one when i served my country!

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
A Brit Or a Canuck! A know a few Thompson just from my Family line that served in the Second world war!
And i love those sweaters, do not have any right now but i collect world war one and world war two uniforms of CDN and British design!
Also had one when i served my country!
Hello James,
The best way to get one of these sweaters - in olive green or navy blue - is www.silvermans.co.uk
I also have a rifle green Canadian crew neck (and the black US Army or (UK) Royal Tank Regiment version as mentioned below.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I believe...

…that you will see the US military slowly get rid of them. The US has always used the wooly pulley sweaters as a dress item worn in the office as opposed to the WWII commando field use. In the USAF they were never much respected and usually subjected the wearer to a level of verbal abuse that was exceeded only by wearing the uniform cardigan.

After 9/11 when all branches of the military went into nearly full time utility uniforms, and then proceeded to develop a whole new series of utility uniforms. The US services have also developed a lot of accessories to go with them, like a military equivalent of fleece zip ups. The pullovers – even green ones don’t really have a place with uniforms where you don’t tuck in the shirt.

In a country where people wear cargo shorts, t-shirts and flip flops to church. I don’t see the military going back to routinely wearing dress uniforms in the office – so the sweaters, I think, have to go.

Last edited:

James007

Familiar Face
The new US Uniform DMP was taken from Canada's New DMP uniform.
I Do not what to sound like I am Tooting My country Horn ,But i think we are leaders in uniform design right now! On the outher hand, the US Marines by far have the nicest Dress Uniform!

Carnage

One of the Regulars
I was issued a new one the other day. Looks good, had the same kind of jumper for 20ish years but this one looks great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21