Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I know that (in the Northern Hemisphere at least), it might not be the best time to be posting about knitwear, but are there any fellow aficionados of the classic military commando sweater or 'woolly pully' (ribbed wool, patches at shoulders and elbows)?

I have been wearing them since my schooldays and now have quite a collection in terms of colours: olive green, navy, air force blue, black, rifle green. ... It would be good to obtain one of the earliest versions, which were a light khaki colour I think.

They are comfortable, breathable and durable, last for years and have a timeless quality. Do others on this site have such positive experiences of these sweaters?

Last edited:

MartyH

New in Town
Yes, in fact I have two navy sweaters.

I like the patches/reinforcement on the elbows. One of them has a pocket on the upper arm, the other is military surplus and has (it seems) been owned by a brit named Thompson.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
MartyH said:
I like the patches/reinforcement on the elbows. One of them has a pocket on the upper arm, the other is military surplus and has (it seems) been owned by a brit named Thompson.

I also like the patches and reinforcements, and I love the turn-back cuffs. I have army and navy sweaters with pockets (penholders) on the upper arm. I also have an older army sweater that was military surplus - when I first acquired it, it seemed to smell of sweat and farts and had to be cleaned a number of times!

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Qirrel said:
I love them. I use them for hunting or just hiking in general. They're very comfortable and will keep you warm.

Agreed. Which colours do you have? My favourites are the olive green Army standard and the navy blue. They can be worn in both city and country with equal ease.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Another fan here!

I've really enjoyed the military surplus ones, I've some French army ones that are great (and were cheap!). I have a few civilian/hunting ones but one problem I've had is that their have pretty open loops when knit so if you use them for hunting they get caught by branches and things... The military ones have a much small guage(?) on the knitting and don't hold catch things while in the woods.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Chasseur said:
Another fan here!

Good evening Sir,

I've really enjoyed the military surplus ones, I've some French army ones that are great (and were cheap!).

I would like to get a Frech army one. Any stores/websites you can recommend?

MB5

One of the Regulars
I have a Blue one I found at Goodwill by Brigade Quartermasters, and I believe it was made in the UK.

Panache

A-List Customer
I have one Enlish made V neck Wooly Pully (by "Brigade Quartmaster") in black and love it. The sweater looks great with the kilt as well as trousers.

The wooly pully does a brilliant job of keeping you warm. The only issue I have is that the weather here in the Bay Area of California is seldom cold enough to warrant wearing it!

Cheers

Jamie

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
There are always a bunch of them at the value village here, all Canadian issue, generally from the late '80s or early '90s, for under $5.

They're great for layering- not bulky yet fairly warm.
12935_207650310908_630485908_2984941_8075350_n.jpg

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
I have several; a blue v-neck which I believe to be British air force, a black crew neck from LL Bean and an olive drab which is Austrian.

The Austrian sweater is thick, boiled wool and it's rarely cold enough to wear it, even in Minnesota. The wool is incredibly dense. Up to the mid 1980's the civilian version was sold in the US and called a Dachstein Sweaterl; cost at that time was nearly $200. At $25 these are a serious bargain.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=490261

I'd like to get an olive crew neck style as well as the Norwegian style with the higher neck and thumb loops.

Corto

A-List Customer
I would say over the last...23 years I've owned about 3 or 4 of them. The original British made "Wooly Pully" that was sold by Brigade Quartermasters were always the best quality.

Brigade used to sell one color per service (Army- black, Navy-dark blue, USAF-lt. blue, USMC- olive, and I believe there was a brown one as well) - but no longer. Does anyone know if the US military still has them as an official uniform item? In this day and age of polypropylene and tightening budgets I can't imagine they'd still exist.

A quick Google search tantalized me that you can get an OD Brigade Wooly Pully on Amazon...but they're "currently unavailable" with no known date as to when they'll be back in stock (I'm guessing never). You can also get an acrylic official US Merchant Marine version at the Lighthouse Uniform Company.

I currently own a 100% wool Navy blue version by Rothco (which I bought with much reservation) but it's thick, durable and (surprisingly) well made.

I think "What Price Glory" sells a repro "Commando Sweater" with neck drawstring which was the forerunner of the modern Wooly Pully. You can see Daniel Craig sporting one in "Sword of Honour".

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Panache said:
I have one Enlish made V neck Wooly Pully (by "Brigade Quartmaster") in black and love it. The sweater looks great with the kilt as well as trousers.

Jamie,
I have the v neck and the crew neck in black among my collection! The crew neck was a Royal Tank Regiment sweater.

I have worn an olive green woolly pully on a visit to the Bay Area and felt very comfortable on a nice fresh evening. Thinking of that visit is making me quite nostalgic.
Aidan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB