Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I recently purchased sweaters from OKW. I was FLOORED by the quality of ALL sweaters that I received. They sent me 2 of the wrong sweaters that didn't have the patches I was looking for. Hopefully they will make amends with me but even then the ones I do have far outshine the error they made.

Sizing was another issue. Everyone says the Wooly Pullys run very small. I don't think so at all. I chose one size up from my normal size and I had to shrink a few in the dryer. Better to shrink down than stretch up I imagine.

I paid roughly $100 per sweater. I could see some of these on the ralph lauren website priced at $400/500 each. They are that superior in quality.

Apparently LL BEAN used to carry them. I found out about them in a sweater review on the BEAN website.

Highly Recommended.

Congratulations! Are you new to the delights of Woolly Pullies ('Wooly' in US English, I know) or have you had them before? And, may I ask you what colours you chose?

Sonero

Practically Family
Congratulations! Are you new to the delights of Woolly Pullies ('Wooly' in US English, I know) or have you had them before? And, may I ask you what colours you chose?

I have owned one or two during the 80's by a german military brand " Bundenwear" ? Spelling is off. The military look has always interested me from a fashion perspective.

Recently I fell in love with shawl collars and british country wear from Cordings UK, Walker and Hawkes, Barboour and Alan Paine. One thing lead to another and I went on a sweater binge. I am leaning towards 50yrs old and want a classic wardrobe.

From OKW I purchased woolys in derby tweed and peat brown. Both have washable suede patches. I also purchased an off white and navy submariner norwegian nautical sweaters. They are absolutely stunning. When my order arrived I purchased yet another 2 roll neck woollys with *Harris Tweed patches instead of the normal cotton blend.

I've got to be careful not to militarize the outfits too much with these sweaters. I live in San Diego which is a military town. Again the idea was to lock into a british/italian country look.

It's the new me !

Sonero

Practically Family
By the way how do you guys store your sweaters during the off season ? I am getting conflicting information online. I guess they need to breather so no Ziploc Bags ? I just went out today to purchase air proof bags and now I find out I can't use them. Instead I will put them in cloth laundry bags.

Any other ideas ?

Gamma68

One Too Many
By the way how do you guys store your sweaters during the off season ? I am getting conflicting information online. I guess they need to breather so no Ziploc Bags ? I just went out today to purchase air proof bags and now I find out I can't use them. Instead I will put them in cloth laundry bags.

Any other ideas ?

I place my wool sweaters in dresser drawers with a couple cedar blocks to repel moths. No issues to date.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I have owned one or two during the 80's by a german military brand " Bundenwear" ? Spelling is off. The military look has always interested me from a fashion perspective.

Recently I fell in love with shawl collars and british country wear from Cordings UK, Walker and Hawkes, Barboour and Alan Paine. One thing lead to another and I went on a sweater binge. I am leaning towards 50yrs old and want a classic wardrobe.

From OKW I purchased woolys in derby tweed and peat brown. Both have washable suede patches. I also purchased an off white and navy submariner norwegian nautical sweaters. They are absolutely stunning. When my order arrived I purchased yet another 2 roll neck woollys with *Harris Tweed patches instead of the normal cotton blend.

I've got to be careful not to militarize the outfits too much with these sweaters. I live in San Diego which is a military town. Again the idea was to lock into a british/italian country look.

It's the new me !

San Diego is a well-known military town. I'd like to go there as I have heard nothing but good things about it. I have been to the Bay Area, Northern California and the Sierra Nevada, but your city is very much on my list. ...

You are clearly a man after my own heart as the British/Italian country look is my daily wear, including Barbour jackets, tweed caps, corduroy trousers, etc, along with wool military sweaters. In London those of us who have had some breadth of education call it 'res in urge' (literally 'country in city').

My Derby Tweed Woolly Pully (hereafter WP) is standard military with epaulettes and pen pocket as well as the usual patches at the shoulder and elbow. I have the Pear Brown in that style as well, but also the model with washable suede patches, which you might have noticed is somewhat longer than the standard WP, with the potential to cover the entire butt as well as stretching to the hips: I have a rude name for this sweater that I shall tell you if you PM me, but I like wearing it. I have a large number of WPs in the standard military style and most frequently wear Army, Navy, Air Force blue and Black - although I'm in Dark Grey Mix today. Like you I also have submariner sweaters and quite a few Guernsey (Channel Island fishermen's sweaters, also used by the military: you might want to take a look at these sometime as well).

I am a habitue of the WP: the first one (Army) I bought in the late 70s in my pre-teen years and soon followed it with Navy and RAF. I think it was probably being interested in the Armed Forces at that age that led to this and being in the Corps at my boys' boarding school and then at university - where WPs also kept me warm in the cold rooms! I have enjoyed wearing them ever since.

Sonero

Practically Family
San Diego is a well-known military town. I'd like to go there as I have heard nothing but good things about it. I have been to the Bay Area, Northern California and the Sierra Nevada, but your city is very much on my list. ...

You are clearly a man after my own heart as the British/Italian country look is my daily wear, including Barbour jackets, tweed caps, corduroy trousers, etc, along with wool military sweaters. In London those of us who have had some breadth of education call it 'res in urge' (literally 'country in city').

My Derby Tweed Woolly Pully (hereafter WP) is standard military with epaulettes and pen pocket as well as the usual patches at the shoulder and elbow. I have the Pear Brown in that style as well, but also the model with washable suede patches, which you might have noticed is somewhat longer than the standard WP, with the potential to cover the entire butt as well as stretching to the hips: I have a rude name for this sweater that I shall tell you if you PM me, but I like wearing it. I have a large number of WPs in the standard military style and most frequently wear Army, Navy, Air Force blue and Black - although I'm in Dark Grey Mix today. Like you I also have submariner sweaters and quite a few Guernsey (Channel Island fishermen's sweaters, also used by the military: you might want to take a look at these sometime as well).

I am a habitue of the WP: the first one (Army) I bought in the late 70s in my pre-teen years and soon followed it with Navy and RAF. I think it was probably being interested in the Armed Forces at that age that led to this and being in the Corps at my boys' boarding school and then at university - where WPs also kept me warm in the cold rooms! I have enjoyed wearing them ever since.
If you get the chance post a picture of a Guernsey. Never heard of them.

Originally from NYC :)

I

Gamma68

One Too Many

I happen to own one by Le Tricoteur. It's an excellent sweater--well worth the purchase price.

Guernsey_4.jpg

waywt_579.jpg

waywt_580.JPG

Ticklishchap

One Too Many

I

I love NYC.

Gamma68 has posted a very representative image of a traditional Guernsey. Needless to say I have one in that colour, which has an historical association with the Royal Navy, and I also have the New Natural (sometimes called Oatmeal) and Olive versions, both of which have Army associations. In addition I have Breton Red, Corvette Blue, Black (Royal Tank Regiment), Bottle Green, Silver and Cream! As with the WP, these have been staples of my wardrobe since the 1970s.

There are two websites you need to look at:

www.channeljumper.com

www.guernseywoollens.com

The Traditional style (as in Gamma 68's photo) is the most authentic and in my view the one to go for. As he says, it's well worth the purchase price.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Thanks.

OKW has a similar version. I purchased it last week. Great looking sweater.

It certainly is: despite being an expert on OKW, I didn't know they were producing a Guernsey now. I've had one of mine for 20+ years as they are so rugged.

Sonero

Practically Family
It certainly is: despite being an expert on OKW, I didn't know they were producing a Guernsey now. I've had one of mine for 20+ years as they are so rugged.
I have mine with me in mexico but the file size is too large to post. I will say it looks very similar. Located on OKW roll down collar menu. Comes in natural and navy. Not sure it is a guernsey but is a dead ringer from what I see.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I have mine with me in mexico but the file size is too large to post. I will say it looks very similar. Located on OKW roll down collar menu. Comes in natural and navy. Not sure it is a guernsey but is a dead ringer from what I see.

Ah yes, I think it's the 'Portsmouth' - which is named after a Naval city.

CNYC

New in Town
I love NYC.

Gamma68 has posted a very representative image of a traditional Guernsey. Needless to say I have one in that colour, which has an historical association with the Royal Navy, and I also have the New Natural (sometimes called Oatmeal) and Olive versions, both of which have Army associations. In addition I have Breton Red, Corvette Blue, Black (Royal Tank Regiment), Bottle Green, Silver and Cream! As with the WP, these have been staples of my wardrobe since the 1970s.

There are two websites you need to look at:

www.channeljumper.com

www.guernseywoollens.com

The Traditional style (as in Gamma 68's photo) is the most authentic and in my view the one to go for. As he says, it's well worth the purchase price.

Channel Jumper has some nice things but I can't figure out sizing. Would you know what a USA chest size of 50 inches would be in Channel ?

Are the sweaters nice and thick ?

Thanks

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Channel Jumper has some nice things but I can't figure out sizing. Would you know what a USA chest size of 50 inches would be in Channel ?

Are the sweaters nice and thick ?

Thanks

Yes, the sweaters are nice and thick but designed to 'breathe' nicely too so you can wear them on the go as well as sitting around. The best design from the aesthetic point of view and breathability is the traditional - as worn by sailors (including Royal Navy) for generations.
sizing-chart
The above link should take you to the sizing chart on the Guernsey Woollens site. The advice to buy one slightly larger than your 'normal' sweater size is good. On the Channel Jumper site you can also click on the Traditional (Burhou) Guernsey icon and then select your size.
The sizes are the same in the US as the UK. I am the same size as you!

Musher

One of the Regulars
For all you Commando Sweater fans. Sportsman Guide has a new shipment of Dutch military surplus commando sweaters in two colors, off-white and black. The off-white is 100% wool and the black is 80%. Made in the Netherlands. New, never issued.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana