Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

Edward

Bartender
It’s often the end of the sweater season by now. Let’s cancel the hot months!

I hear you on that!!

In NI when visiting, I did not wear either the Rifle Green WP or the Army Olive Green but left those at home in England. I did wear the Navy version and that was fine!

I remember when I was about ten - that would have been 1984 - I had a brown one and a navy one, crew neck, that were handed down from a cousin who outgrew them. I'd always wanted the green one, but my mother in particular had a fear of us getting shot in green (despite living in a quiet, countryside area!). Camo was a total no-no back then too, heh. I've no doubt that early interesting in the rugged practicality of those sweaters was part of what sparked an interest in surplus clothing later in my teens, when a lot of us got into is as a form of anti-fashion. Solid, well designed clothing that was cheap and could be combined for all sorts of looks. I'm sure there's a common thread from that to the slow-fashion world of vintage repro. I know I still go with a lot of military kit even now; carefully selected so it doesn't look like I'm trying to play dress-up soldier, a lot of those bits are a cheap way of buying a quality style with a much older design. If only the military would widen their colour palette a bit... ;)

Interestingly, Outdoor Knitwear are reintroducing Rifle Green in the autumn along with Sky Blue: being a WP aficionado I shall order them both. They are now phasing out Moss Green and having a sale, which means that if you’re happy with that colour you can snap it up at half price. This is why I bought a customised version recently - pen pocket but no shoulder straps. I have two other Moss Greens.
Above are a few snaps of the Moss Green WP for comparison (difficult I know) with the RUC sweater.

Thanks - I've had a look at the site and I think I may well pick something up for next Autumn. That moss green is a really great colour that also gives it a bit more of a civilian edge too. I'm even quite taken with the purple one!

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I hear you on that!!

I remember when I was about ten - that would have been 1984 - I had a brown one and a navy one, crew neck, that were handed down from a cousin who outgrew them. I'd always wanted the green one, but my mother in particular had a fear of us getting shot in green (despite living in a quiet, countryside area!). Camo was a total no-no back then too, heh. I've no doubt that early interesting in the rugged practicality of those sweaters was part of what sparked an interest in surplus clothing later in my teens, when a lot of us got into is as a form of anti-fashion. Solid, well designed clothing that was cheap and could be combined for all sorts of looks. I'm sure there's a common thread from that to the slow-fashion world of vintage repro. I know I still go with a lot of military kit even now; carefully selected so it doesn't look like I'm trying to play dress-up soldier, a lot of those bits are a cheap way of buying a quality style with a much older design. If only the military would widen their colour palette a bit... ;)

Thanks - I've had a look at the site and I think I may well pick something up for next Autumn. That moss green is a really great colour that also gives it a bit more of a civilian edge too. I'm even quite taken with the purple one!

Thank you for ‘hearing’ me over cancelling the hot season. ... I can never see why anyone would actually look forward to the sun beating down during the day and streaming in at night, to humidity, sweating and general yuckiness. And pollen! Give me autumn colours any day, with soft light and crisp mornings and evenings.

I’ve been a Woolly Pully aficionado since I was about 11 when I had my first - Army - WP followed closely by the Navy and RAF versions. I’ve been wearing them ever since and I’m mid-50s now! My first dark brown WP was I think when I was a student.

I agree with all you say about military surplus and its understated, retro fashion quality. As for the colour palette, at least in the Woolly Pully area Outdoor Knitwear offers a range of colours.

Let me know what you decide. You would be wise to snap up the Moss Green as it’s a great colour. The Purple Mix is relatively new and I have one of them, which I like wearing from time to time for contrast with the others. The Moss Green is one of my favourites.

Peacoat

Bartender
Good morning Gentlemen, as September and the Autumnal season approaches, in the Northern Hemisphere, it is time get out the WPs and other good wool sweaters again soon. Enjoy and stay safe and well.
I'm ready for some cool weather, although we have the remnants of Ida (hurricane) passing through today with highs in the mid 70s. Not quite WP weather, but better than the mid 90s that we have had the last few weeks.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In fact I wear my Merino shirt today…:)

rymhart-langarm-shirt.jpg

rymhart-langarm-shirt.jpg

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Good morning Gentlemen, as September and the Autumnal season approaches, in the Northern Hemisphere, it is time get out the WPs and other good wool sweaters again soon. Enjoy and stay safe and well.

Looked over a few OD commando and found winter moth bites. An ex-Marine neighborhood tailor
will get these for stitch and time to begin late summer sweater safari at local consignment shops.
The proverbial needle in the haystack is of course a Royal Navy rollneck knit. My golden fleece awaits find.;)

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I have been wearing mine occasionally in the mornings and evenings over the past week or so - mainly Navy and Army!

It’s great to be moving into Autumn/Fall!

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I'm ready for some cool weather, although we have the remnants of Ida (hurricane) passing through today with highs in the mid 70s. Not quite WP weather, but better than the mid 90s that we have had the last few weeks.

I too am ready for some cool weather; we haven’t had your extremes, just a few nasty little heatwaves earlier in the summer. But we’re gradually coming out of what I consider to be the most toxic season and into the Fall, which is great. I am beginning to feel energised again and am even occasionally donning a WP.
I forget which WPs you have - or are you like me, with a wide range of them in military and other colours?

Peacoat

Bartender
I too am ready for some cool weather; we haven’t had your extremes, just a few nasty little heatwaves earlier in the summer. But we’re gradually coming out of what I consider to be the most toxic season and into the Fall, which is great. I am beginning to feel energised again and am even occasionally donning a WP.
I forget which WPs you have - or are you like me, with a wide range of them in military and other colours?
I only have 2 WPs, one in navy that I got back in the mid 70s and one in the OD green. Being ex Army, I had to have that one!

Goel

A-List Customer
I got a nice sweater from North Sea clothing that fits well, a little bit itchy though. Does anyone have experience with Black Sheep Knitwear?

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I only have 2 WPs, one in navy that I got back in the mid 70s and one in the OD green. Being ex Army, I had to have that one!

Yes, those are my staples. I had my first OD Green back in the 70s. I also have Air Force Blue, Moss Green, Black, Dark Grey Mix, Peat Brown, Purple Mix ... Etc.
The only time I have worn a WP ‘professionally’ was in the Corps at the private boys’ school I attended.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I got a nice sweater from North Sea clothing that fits well, a little bit itchy though. Does anyone have experience with Black Sheep Knitwear?

Yes, I have a natural brown Shetland from them - very nice sweater! There’s another one called The Smuggler, I think, which I wanted to get but they didn’t have it in my size. ... It was a semi-roll neck with a rough quality to the wool (I like a bit of rough occasionally - I’m talking about sweaters you understand ).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui