Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
@Ticklishchap You started this thread about a relatively arcane piece of clothing back in 2010. It has now grown to 12 years and 78 pages. Congratulations.

I am surprised the Marines ever got this sweater. Anything that is worth 2 cents is hoarded by the Navy until its supply rooms are overflowing. Then, and only then is the Marine Corps given a dribble.

De Oppresso Liber,
Ghost Rider 172
@Peacoat: Thank you Sir. I am really ‘chuffed’ as we Brits say and honoured (as we spell the word) by your comment. The only thing I would partially dispute is that the WP is an arcane piece of clothing. It has survived since WW2 and is still going strong. … To be honest I had been starting to become a bit disillusioned with the way FL is going. Your words have encouraged me to hang in there and keep going. You’ve also made a stiff upper lip British chap blush with pride.

Peacoat

Bartender
@Peacoat: Thank you Sir. I am really ‘chuffed’ as we Brits say and honoured (as we spell the word) by your comment. The only thing I would partially dispute is that the WP is an arcane piece of clothing. It has survived since WW2 and is still going strong. … To be honest I had been starting to become a bit disillusioned with the way FL is going. Your words have encouraged me to hang in there and keep going. You’ve also made a stiff upper lip British chap blush with pride.
I was looking at the word, "arcane" from the US military perspective. When I was in, the wooly pully wasn't in use. I don't think it was an issued piece of clothing for us until the 1980s.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I was looking at the word, "arcane" from the US military perspective. When I was in, the wooly pully wasn't in use. I don't think it was an issued piece of clothing for us until the 1980s.
… And of course you spell it Wooly Pully whereas for us it’s two l’s: Woolly Pully. Two peoples divided by a common language as George Bernard Shaw said.
I recall the WP being in use in the US from the late 70s with a v-neck Navy and the olive crew neck coming in during the 80s for the USMC. Famously, Oliver North wore one regularly during the Iran-Contra scandal. Even typing those words makes me feel … middle aged. (He was a handsome chap too, just a shame about the politics IMHO.)

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Everything changes, which is the way of the world. Just keep posting the stuff you like and be assured there's always someone out there reading it who is appreciating it.
I meant to write ‘hang in there and keep posting’. …
As far as change is concerned, my motto is: ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’.
Thank you for your encouraging words: I really appreciate the thought behind them.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I have taken advantage of the discount to buy a new RAF (Blue-Grey) standard WP with shoulder and elbow and also the Patchless (Welbeck) Navy version.

These are replacement items: the ones I have are becoming old and threadbare (not like me, I hasten to add).

B-24J

One of the Regulars

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
The "Old Time Design Company" is having a sale on the aircrew frock. Ecru and Navy.

https://www.oldtimedesigncompany.co.uk/product-page/raf-aircrew-frock-jumper-air-ministry-pattern

Unlike the Eastman roll neck, this has the boat neck.

To me it fits like an Eastman. My suit size is a 38 regular I purchased a size 40.

In a wooly-pully, such as Outdoor Knitwear, I go one size up from other styles.

John
Hi John

Thanks for that. Another to add to my collection.

Can’t wait for Woolly Pully weather again.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Outdoor Knitwear had a 10% discount over the weekend and I used it to buy a new Peat Brown WP to replace the old and threadbare one I have had for many years.

Several years back, I was wearing the Peat Brown version and a chap I work with asked me about it. I told him a tall story: they are worn by a Regiment called the Brown Howards. He believed me. There is no such Regiment of course. There was however an historic Yorkshire Regiment known as the Green Howards.

I like the idea of the Brown Howards, however. This Regiment is open only to men who combine physical strength and bravery with extreme flatulence and the ability to fart to order. In the heat of battle, the men of the Brown Howards turn their backs on the enemy and scatter them by firing flatulent issue in their direction. There have been several attempts to prosecute them under the Geneva Convention, but it has yet to be decided whether explosive man-made farts count as chemical weapons.

Long live the Brown Howards, anyway, Peat Brown WPs and all. …

Tyke

New in Town
If you manage to get hold of a cheap British issue pullover dated 1982 or a bit earlier hang onto it, collector's will pay silly money for clothing that was used in the Falklands war.

Cheers,
Andy

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Maybe a bit eccentric, but I, too, am a Woolly Pully fan. Unfortunately, I gained 30 pounds after suffering a broken leg, and my Woolly Pullys no longer fit without stretching them out. I refuse to buy new clothes for this new weight I am unable to get rid of.
Was this a sports or hiking injury?

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Outdoor Knitwear had a 10% discount over the weekend and I used it to buy a new Peat Brown WP to replace the old and threadbare one I have had for many years.

Several years back, I was wearing the Peat Brown version and a chap I work with asked me about it. I told him a tall story: they are worn by a Regiment called the Brown Howards. He believed me. There is no such Regiment of course. There was however an historic Yorkshire Regiment known as the Green Howards.

I like the idea of the Brown Howards, however. This Regiment is open only to men who combine physical strength and bravery with extreme flatulence and the ability to fart to order. In the heat of battle, the men of the Brown Howards turn their backs on the enemy and scatter them by firing flatulent issue in their direction. There have been several attempts to prosecute them under the Geneva Convention, but it has yet to be decided whether explosive man-made farts count as chemical weapons.

Trust you to lower the tone :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm