Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

Peacoat

Bartender
Conditions will start improving today for us. High forecast for today is 23º F (-5ºC). With sunny conditions, that will be nice. But I'm still making the trip to town to the cigar shop as the temp when I will smoke my cigar is forecast to be 7ºF (-13.9ºC). Even with the sun, that is a bit much for exposed skin, especially with a slight breeze.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Conditions will start improving today for us. High forecast for today is 23º F (-5ºC). With sunny conditions, that will be nice. But I'm still making the trip to town to the cigar shop as the temp when I will smoke my cigar is forecast to be 7ºF (-13.9ºC). Even with the sun, that is a bit much for exposed skin, especially with a slight breeze.
That is still very cold, but as you say beautiful when accompanied by dry, sunny weather. Ideal for a WP. Happy Christmas

Peacoat

Bartender
As a follow up to my expedition to the cigar shop yesterday, it didn't go well. I pulled in the parking lot and realized I had left my laptop at home. Went in to say hello to the owner as he was expecting me. Bought a cigar and turned around to head back home.

I wore the WP over a cotton work shirt and under a medium weight coat. Kept me plenty warm. The ambient temp was about 10º to 15º F (-10 to -12ºC), but the sun was out. The WP (and the sun) did its job and kept me warm.

I got this WP in about 1978. The brand is Barbour, and it is thick virgin wool. It fits me tighter than it did then, and it needs to have a couple of holes repaired, but it is as warm now as it was back then.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
As a follow up to my expedition to the cigar shop yesterday, it didn't go well. I pulled in the parking lot and realized I had left my laptop at home. Went in to say hello to the owner as he was expecting me. Bought a cigar and turned around to head back home.

I wore the WP over a cotton work shirt and under a medium weight coat. Kept me plenty warm. The ambient temp was about 10º to 15º F (-10 to -12ºC), but the sun was out. The WP (and the sun) did its job and kept me warm.

I got this WP in about 1978. The brand is Barbour, and it is thick virgin wool. It fits me tighter than it did then, and it needs to have a couple of holes repaired, but it is as warm now as it was back then.
The weather sounds beautiful albeit cold. Dry, cold weather is far easier than a heatwave and has the added WP advantage.

Yes, Barbour made WPs in the late 70s and early 80s and I had a few of them back then. They still make quite a lot of wool sweaters, including nice ribbed wool: I have a couple of them.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
About 2 centigrade here today, my old Canadian issue wp was the perfect outer layer while chopping ice off the driveway. Stylish and practical.
I have owned a number of Rifle Green WPs over the years, including now that the colour has been reissued by Outdoor Knitwear. I believe that it is the same colour as the Canadian version. In fact I have been told as much by a Canadian chap some years back. Also, I seem to remember seeing Canadian soldiers wearing a WP that colour: it is a slightly different design from the British I think (probably even thicker wool) and there might be a difference in the shade as well. Have you a photo by any chance?

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
B14443E6-716E-4A6A-B62F-C1D6D31E7A22.jpeg
59E15143-8483-4E94-A38D-4C8D8191ED58.jpeg
377C4324-1106-4780-A1AE-9121C15A749C.jpeg

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
That looks similar to the USMC green one I have, just a little lighter.
The USMC one is olive and similar to the British Army WP - of which I have more than one (in fact the whole range: standard; with epps; with epps and pen pocket, etc.)

I hope you are enjoying your WPs this season.

crowquill

New in Town
@crowquill: 3 recent Rifle Green examples. Apologies for poor lighting - that’s England in December when they were taken. Is it the same colour as your Canadian Army WP?
Thanks! Here’s a photo of my Canadian wp, the colour of the yarn is both darker and duller than the rifle green of the fabric arm and shoulder patches. I’m not sure of relative yarn weight since I’ve never handled a UK wp, but it doesn’t look much different.

Attachments

• 4BBF64F4-C1F1-4BAF-8ADA-7DE89A9DC087.jpeg
    4BBF64F4-C1F1-4BAF-8ADA-7DE89A9DC087.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 63

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Thanks! Here’s a photo of my Canadian wp, the colour of the yarn is both darker and duller than the rifle green of the fabric arm and shoulder patches. I’m not sure of relative yarn weight since I’ve never handled a UK wp, but it doesn’t look much different.
Thank you very much for that. It is a very fine WP. I like the buttons, which resemble some of the older British versions from the late 60s/early 70s. I wouldn’t mind acquiring one myself. I note that there is a difference in shade from the Rifle Green. Thank you for clarifying this.

Your WP has served you very well since 1993.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner