Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Miller Hats Winston Homburg

donnc

One of the Regulars
Many of us modify our fedoras, cowboy hats, etc on a regular basis. Seems to me, you could take a vintage homburg with similar dimensions and modify the crease and brim curl to suit you.

Like I said, I pinched mine just to make mine fit better. It seems trickier to me, though, as a typically stiffer hat, as the process of messing around with it will tend to make it less stiff in spots? Not to mention the challenges involved in modifying a pencil curl. Of course, mine wasn't particularly "vintage", to the best of my knowledge, but that seems fair, if the hat in question is going to be a new one too.

Edward

Bartender
A lot depends on age and fur type. I have a Thirties homberg I bought in Glasgow back in September - very soft, I believe it to be beaver. Just like a Fedora. I have the impression they got a bit stiffer later on as they became viewed as a more formal hat. On this side of the Atlantic it wasn't really until a bit into the thirties that the fedora came to be so common; prior to that, men wore hombergs more casually, with a fedora-like bash. Michael Collins in the early 20s wore his very typically:

michael-collins-1-sized.jpg

(Note also the 'lazy brim' he has!)

I rather like the hat in the photo you posted, though as others have said you can take advantage of the homberg being less popular to snare some real bargains. I have four vintage hombergs, ranging from 30s to (I think) 50s at the newest, none of which I paid more than GBP20 for (plus postage, of course). eBay is your friend here.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
A lot depends on age and fur type. I have a Thirties homberg I bought in Glasgow back in September - very soft, I believe it to be beaver. Just like a Fedora. I have the impression they got a bit stiffer later on as they became viewed as a more formal hat. On this side of the Atlantic it wasn't really until a bit into the thirties that the fedora came to be so common; prior to that, men wore hombergs more casually, with a fedora-like bash. Michael Collins in the early 20s wore his very typically:

michael-collins-1-sized.jpg

(Note also the 'lazy brim' he has!)

I rather like the hat in the photo you posted, though as others have said you can take advantage of the homberg being less popular to snare some real bargains. I have four vintage hombergs, ranging from 30s to (I think) 50s at the newest, none of which I paid more than GBP20 for (plus postage, of course). eBay is your friend here.

Very nice hat. This is an up-brim with a good bit of curl that is not unusual for Fedoras before the mid-1920's. There is no inward curl(it is also broader) at the top of the brim edge or binding and crown height is modest. I have a few hats with this flanging. It is nearly even all around and a different profile from the Homburg style although it looks similar from a modern perspective. Shows the common origins of the styles.

5199135620_6d0dfb4ce3_z.jpg

20's Mossant--30's Stetson

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran