Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Miller's Crossing

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
it also made me think of Yojimbo and the Last Man Standing

It has similar source material. The films you mention are based on Dashiell Hammett's Red Harvest, while Miller's Crossing is an unofficial reworking of Hammett's The Glass Key. The title of their first film, Blood Simple, comes from a Hammett quote, a line in Red HArvest that I can't remember off hand.

Would you compare it to "The Road to Perdition" favorably?

I'd say Millers Crossing is much better. It's a more coherent script, better performances all around and a better sense of what is cinematic versus Road's more theatrical, stagey approach. I don't like Road to Perdition very much at all, outside of the costumes, the sets and the cars.

Harry Lime

Suspended
I love Miller's Crossing. The comparison to Road to Perdition is a good one. Miller's doesn't take itself seriously; Perdition does. The over-the-top nature of Miller's is on purpose and adds an element of humor to it. Plus, some of the most quotable tough-guy movie lines ever. ("Look into your heart, Tommy! Look into your heart!") "Why would they clip Rug Daniels? They even stole his hair - strange...." "I gotta be honest with ya Tommy...since last time we jawed my stomach's been seizin' up on me."

Plus great style, etc. Hard to believe a movie that looks so cold was shot in the heat of New Orleans.

Harry Lime

Big Joe

Familiar Face
Millrr's Crossing is a great movie, but I had to watch it several times to come to that conclusion. Don't give up. This one grows on you.

Big Joe

clevispin

One of the Regulars
Great flick - my favorite Coen Bros film after Raising Arizona. I remember Turturro's line - pleading for his life "look in your heart, look in your heart".

Gabriel Byrne - awfully close to channeling Bogart here.

m

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy