Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mine arrived today, too!

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
Arrived Today

Here's my just-dried Moonstone Fed IV Deluxe. I went with a combination of kaosharper's modified Maltese Falcon bash with the height of the store-bought bash on the Akubra Stylemaster. The front is 4"; the back is 3 1/2". I put a tugboat effect on the sides; they rise to 4 1/2" at the back of the dents.

I went with the understated dents and tight pinch of the Maltese Falcon, which I like. Thoughts on making the dents deeper. I think I'm going to snap the back of the brim up a little more.

Overall, I'm please with this for my first bash. I was really surprised how easy it was to work the felt when wet.

I apologize for the poor quality of these photos. The batteries were dying in my camera. In fact, they are now dead.

DSC02812.jpg

IMG_6167.jpg

DSC02814.jpg

IMG_6168.jpg

Goose.

Practically Family
Wow Gilgamark. I really like that hat on you! Great bash work!!!! :eusa_clap
I think the pics are GREAT and I especially like the measurements you provided. Thank you for posting.

I wish I had a Federation IV Deluxe moonstone.
sad-021.gif

Oh, and I think the dents are fine.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Johnny. said:
Wow, looks great man! Awesome job on the bashing. Was it easy getting the pinch right?

*squirms in seat* I really want mine now!!!!

Yes, it was pretty easy. I dont use steam. Sprayed water gives me excellent control without the danger from too much steam. I spray until its coated but not soaked, and begin to push to shape. Works great.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Johnny. said:
Newb question... how stiff exactly is that brim? Like is it bendy or inflexible?

I sprayed it as described above and then do a process I call muutchering. I over-exaggerate the bend so that as it tries to return to where it started, it winds up exactly where I want it. Sometimes it requires a little reinforcement before its dry, but it works well for me.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
ryang said:
Nice lid Scotty - great job on the bash.:eusa_clap It suits you well. Is that a deluxe or a regular Fed IV? I got a regular and did not realize how comfortable it had become until I started wearing a different fedora and then switched back again.

Now just watch out for the Hovitos.:eek:

Its a regular. I knew it would be exactly what I wanted. The deluxe may very well be more comfortable, but this hat feels like a dream.

Too bad the Hovitos dont know you the way I do, Belloq . . . lol

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
thecoolmiester said:
nice fed, is that a Crystal Skull bash?
And is that a regular or deluxe?

Its a regular.

Actually, I am a fan of the HJ Raiders hat so I went for a taller front for the crown, and pinched it higher than what I perceived as the CS bash.

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
scottyrocks said:
. . . I don't use steam. Sparyed water gives me excellent control without the danger from too much steam. I spray until its coated but not soaked, and begin to push to shape. Works great.

Interesting, I went with distilled water in a spray bottle, too. Steam didn't seem as controllable to me either. I also wondered how long the felt would stay pliable with steam. With water, I resprayed when it started to dry, which was only one area.

I'd be interested what others think about water v. steam. Are there any threads?

I agree with Scotty on the feel of the Fed IV, too. This hat feels like it's already broken in. Amazing.

Johnny.

New in Town
Gilgamark said:
Here's my just-dried Moonstone Fed IV Deluxe. I went with a combination of kaosharper's modified Maltese Falcon bash with the height of the store-bought bash on the Akubra Stylemaster. The front is 4"; the back is 3 1/2". I put a tugboat effect on the sides; they rise to 4 1/2" at the back of the dents.

I went with the understated dents and tight pinch of the Maltese Falcon, which I like. Thoughts on making the dents deeper. I think I'm going to snap the back of the brim up a little more.

Overall, I'm please with this for my first bash. I was really surprised how easy it was to work the felt when wet.

I apologize for the poor quality of these photos. The batteries were dying in my camera. In fact, they are now dead.

DSC02812.jpg

IMG_6167.jpg

DSC02814.jpg

IMG_6168.jpg

Wow, I love the bash on this hat! You did the crown really well and the brim's a work of art. I love how the brim comes down at the front, looks awesome.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Gilgamark said:
Here's my just-dried Moonstone Fed IV Deluxe. . . . .

Overall, I'm please with this for my first bash. . . . .
Gilgamark, I've got to join the chorus here. The Fed looks great on you and if you hadn't admitted that it was your first bash, I'd never have guessed. Nice work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass