Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mirakal Hat - but it's no miracle!

jpbales

Practically Family
Hey guys, I need some advice,

I recently purchased a Wright Mirakal on ebay, as pictured below, but it is waaaay too small! I'm between sizes 7 3/8 and 7 1/2, and this hat was advertised as a 7 3/8. This is what the listing said about the size:
"It is a custom hat with an opening measuring 7.5" x 6.5", and comes with the original box. The box has 7 3/8 written on it, but the measurements seem to be a bit small for that size. Please take note of the measurements for a proper fit."
I thought it would be a tad small, but I would probably be able to stretch it. I didn't realize that the "7 3/8 written on it" meant some scribble on the side of the box. I measured the inside of the hat (as pictured below) and it measured at less than 54 cm (and I'm a 59.5 or so)! Also, the hat is clearly marked with a 7 on the tag. Anyway, I need advice on what I should do.

DSC01067.jpg

DSC01066.jpg

DSC01068.jpg

Here are my options as I see them:
1. Try to return the hat (which may or may not work)
2. Try to stretch the hat myself (i don't know if it can be stretched that far)
3. Send it to get reblocked (i don't know much about this either)
4. Try to re-sell it

This is probably one of the finest vintage hats I've had, so I would like to make it work if it's possible. It seemed like a steel at $22.00, until I just now found out how small it is. Thanks for your advice!

MattJH

One Too Many
I'm sorry to hear. This is the eBay risk.

Others with more experience will chime in, I'm sure, but I don't think it's possible to stretch a hat from a size 7 to a size 7 3/8 without severely tapering the hat at the worst and totally tearing the felt apart at the worst-er.

I'd list it in the Classifieds here before trying to return it. I've found that dealing with Fedora Loungers is the most painless, polite transaction you could possibly have, and the hat always ends up being appreciated.

RPeers

One of the Regulars
Wow that sucks... I don't believe that you can stretch a hat up three sizes or if you can it will be either a significantly shorter crown or brim. better to try and sell it off to recoup your loses. try an ellipse calculator for your right size if you get two diameter measurements again

GoneSolo

One of the Regulars
I was watching that hat but didn't bid. If you're gonna sell it, I'd be interested. Sorry that it didn't fit though. It looks great.

jec

One of the Regulars
I had the exact same thing happen with a Penny's Marathon I purchased on EBay last month: the box was marked 7 3/8, and the hat was offered as that size, but when it arrived the hat was WAY too small - and a little searching under the sweat revealed a tag stating that is was a 6 7/8. (I posted the story with photos of the hat on the EBay thread).

Since then, I returned the hat to the seller - BUT the seller has never picked up the parcel at the post office and so I have not gotten my refund! I am not sure what will happen next. Even though his feedback rating was fine, the seller seems to have disappeared altogether; maybe on vacation. I guess I am hoping USPS will eventually decide the box I returned is undeliverable and then it will come back to me and I'll try and recoup my money here, or on Ebay.

So you are not alone. I think a lot of vintage hats offered on EBay are mis-measured or not carefully examined to find a size tag. We all gamble when we buy online - as I am sure that those Lounge members who have done more buying on EBay than I have can attest to.

Good luck. Let us know how this is resolved. I'll do the same with mine.

jpbales

Practically Family
Caity Lynn said:
That's a shame, It's a swell hat!

I know! When I took it out of the box my jaw dropped... then it dropped even more when I stuck it on top my great big melon! The pictures they had on the listing were pretty low quality. It's a beautiful hat : (

jpbales

Practically Family
from what I know...

you can measure the circumference around the sweatband (like I did in the picture up there with the tape measure), you can measure the front to back, and side to side dimensions of it, and you can look at the tag on the hat.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I have the measurement of the sweatband (like the pic) but how do you then determine the actual hat size?

D

demian

Caity Lynn said:
I have the measurement of the sweatband (like the pic) but how do you then determine the actual hat size?

Hi Caity:

This will answer your question, and more..

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=30911&highlight=hat+size+calculation

As you probably know, sizes vary from mfr. to mfr., period, and even custom made milliner sizes seem to vary!! ...and it is best to get the actual circumference and/or length/width when buying or specificy your precise measurements when ordering.

Hope this helps.

ciao.

jpbales

Practically Family
well, I've decided to put it up onto the classifieds. GoneSolo, I've sent you a PM if you are interested in buying the hat from me.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Caity Lynn said:
Take the circumference and divide it by pi. 3.141 should get you close enough.

So for example, if you measure 23.5", divide it by 3.141. This comes out to 7.48, which would round up to 7-1/2.

For metric, take the 23.5" and multiply it by 2.54 to get the circumference in centimeters, which would be 59.69, which would probably round up to 60.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner