Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Missing Members

Haversack

One Too Many
I've never really cared for ramen noodles as 'noodles'. Instead I'd throw away the flavor packet, boil up the noodle brick, drain them, and then throw them into a hot oiled skillet to fry up. Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Add some chopped cabbage, a serrano pepper, a diced slice or two of kielbasa and a cheap satisfying dinner was had.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I've never really cared for ramen noodles as 'noodles'. Instead I'd throw away the flavor packet, boil up the noodle brick, drain them, and then throw them into a hot oiled skillet to fry up. Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Add some chopped cabbage, a serrano pepper, a diced slice or two of kielbasa and a cheap satisfying dinner was had.
Personally, I think they go best with stir fried veggies and beef.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Spam got me through university with bologna to change it up once in a while.

I once had a Jesuit in his Regency period for Theology. His syllabus included new fresh off the press texts from Oxford and elsewhere that blew my paltry GI Bill books stipend away. I dropped his class within thirty minutes after class dismissal. Later found the Jebbie Reggie in his office (he wore a three piece secular suit),
told him the facts of life, then went out and hit McDonalds. After spam, bologna, sardines, and salami
a quarter pounder was sirloin steak. With fries too. :)

I once had a Jesuit in his Regency period for Theology. His syllabus included new fresh off the press texts from Oxford and elsewhere that blew my paltry GI Bill books stipend away. I dropped his class within thirty minutes after class dismissal. Later found the Jebbie Reggie in his office (he wore a three piece secular suit),
told him the facts of life, then went out and hit McDonalds. After spam, bologna, sardines, and salami
a quarter pounder was sirloin steak. With fries too. :)
When I was in uni McDonalds had not come to Canada yet.....I remember the night the first one in my area opened and they had a special. Can't remember if it was 3 for a buck or 5. I just remember buying a few dollars worth and I was in binge worthy heaven.

Fifty150

One Too Many
I grew up in Chinatown. In San Francisco, just like New York, the Chinese neighborhood is right next to the Italian neighborhood. So we had all of the shops that sold fresh noodles. Pasta and Asian noodles. And in the homes, some people made their own noodles. But everyone still bought those dried noodles.

Economy, and time. Instant noodles were the base carbohydrate for just about anything and everything..... and that usually meant whatever leftovers you had in the fridge.

As an adult, I learned that instant noodles were one of the most popular items sold in correctional facilities. Inmates who could afford it, would rather eat ramen than whatever the jail served.

In comparison to fresh ramen, it's pretty close. Once rehydrated, you could add it to soup, eat it with a sauce, stir fry it, or whatever your imagination. Even eat it with that awful packet of artificial flavoring. It may be the one food which has made it's way into every culture, and eaten around the world, even though most people will say that they don't like it.

Last edited:

Fifty150

One Too Many
as in Campbell's Pork and Beans, 40 cents a can desperate

I have yet to try a can of pork and beans, or any beans, that taste good. From what I can recall, none of the "pork & beans" actually had real pieces of pork.

Beans in a can are expensive, compared to just buying a bag of beans, and boiling them in water. If I were eating beans because of the cost of food, I would buy the dry beans.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
When I was a kid there was actual pork in the pork and beans -- a little rectangular chunk of salty fat about an inch long, and it was there more as seasoning than as something to be eaten. But you'll be hard pressed to find it now -- I think they get away with calling it "pork and beans" if it contains liquid pork essence or some such other flummery. Maybe they just show the beans a picture of a hog and call it good.

Beans and I have a complicated relationship. They were a staple food in my youth, and I must've eaten nearly every way of cooking them that's emerged from the mind of a suffering humanity. Baked beans, fried beans, boiled beans, bean soup, bean stew, bean paste, everything but bean pie. (I saw some NOI guys selling bean pie in the city once and was tempted.)

But as I've gotten older, my inner sensitivity to the bean's more indelicate properties has increased, to the point where the Campbell's beans, processed beyond all comprehension, are the only ones I can safely digest. It's just another reason it stinks to get old.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
When I was a kid there was actual pork in the pork and beans -- a little rectangular chunk of salty fat about an inch long, and it was there more as seasoning than as something to be eaten. But you'll be hard pressed to find it now -- .

It's still there. Popped open a can of Campbell's Pork&Beans last week. Bean sandwich on rye toast
for lunch; also good with supper pork cutlets. I forgot to pick up a coupla cans the other day when I hit
Amazon Fresh. Altered menu with elbow macaroni and Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup. Sliced and tossed
pork with mac, add paprika sprinkle, next soup as chaser. Stir, cover, leave on low heat thirty mikes.
Livin high on the hog.

Fifty150

One Too Many
I went to the grocery store today. Beans are $0.99 for a 1 pound bag. When cooked, that's enough for me to last for a week, if I don't get tired of eating beans. Pork sirloin chops were also $0.99 per pound.

My preference is garbanzo beans and red beans. But I'll grab pinto beans, pink beans, black beans..... whatever, if there is a sale. To make it interesting, I'll put them in a food processor and make a bean dip, or toss a half cup of beans into a vegetable stir fry - which is essentially a "cooked salad". Beans go into salads, of course. And there's always red beans and rice. Growing up, we put chickpeas into a food processor, with garlic, lemon juice, sesame, and olive oil..... I think it's called hummus.

Tonight's dinner was the pork. I cut it up into bite size pieces, seasoned it with salt & pepper, then coated it with flour. Deep fried in hot oil for about 5 minutes. In a small sauce pan, I boiled vinegar & sugar, reduced it, then a squeeze of citrus (I use lime since there's a tree nearby that I pick from), a splash of soy sauce, and stir in some ketchup. Panda express calls it sweet & sour pork.

Growing up, beans were not a staple of my diet. Sure, we ate beans. In many Asian cultures, Hawaii, and US cities with a lot of Asian people, red beans are often served in a dessert with shaved ice, and some sort of sweetener. Growing up, all of our beans were dry, and purchased by the pound, out of bulk bins. Back in those days, stores had barrels of beans. You simply bagged the amount you wanted, and they weighed it at the checkout counter. I can't recall, ever, my parents opening a can of beans.

Last week, I was at a Trader Joe's, and I asked the clerk if they sold dry beans. They only had canned beans. Then the clerk looked at me, and asked, "what do you do with them?" It must be cultural. Apparently, she didn't grow up eating beans from a can either, and just didn't know what to do with beans out of a can.

In my entire life, I've only once, ever, seen somebody eat beans from the can. I mean literally, open the can, and eat the beans directly from the can. I was slightly amused. It was a girl I met at the gym. We meet up, and exercise outdoors when weather was good. Bike rides. Hikes. So we're hanging out watching television. She really enjoyed this violent soap opera about a fictional collective of motorcycle enthusiast. She insisted that Sons of Anarchy was a modern Hamlet - with guns and drugs. I was the only person she knew who rode a bike, and for that reason, she thought that I wanted to watch the show with her. From what I recall, it was a TV show which aired in the middle of the week, so watching television with her was more exciting than sitting at a neighborhood bar with old alcoholics who were drunk in the middle of the week. During a commercial break, she got off the couch, and came back with a can of beans and a spoon. I guess growing up in her house, eating beans from a can was like popcorn and peanuts. I didn't say anything. Just pretended that it was normal. After all, we're watching a television show where one of the characters was a chronic masturbator. I've waited about 10 years to tell that story.

Last edited:
I'm just wondering, why @moontheloon is not more posting, here.

He decided that his time collecting hats is over and sold most of his collection. I think he still keeps in touch with some via Facebook, but since I don't Facebook, I don't see that. He posted a nice Dobbs 20 on Instagram the other day and occasionally checks in with a pithy comment.

I also seem to remember him complaining a bit about how the tone of the site has changed, at least with respect to hats.

ThankfulGirl

New in Town
I doubt anybody remembers me as Kishtu (it's been a looooong time since Kishtu posted - I think it was when my late other half who also posted here, died - and just for the record, people here were incredibly kind to me) but here I am.

People I miss and have looked out for: there was a gentleman in Alaska who was a regular poster who was an absolute darling, possibly *the* most gorgeous woman I have ever set eyes on who lived in London but came from...Sweden...I think?...and used to post inspiring photos of her lovely clothes every day, I had a penfriend for a little space who was a nurse and who had a little girl and I would have loved to stay in touch with her - she was called Jenny but I don't remember her posting name, and a lady who sent me some beautiful cufflinks which I still have.

I'm editing to say how very kind, generous, and humane I've found the people who post here. Without exception. I do appreciate that there are bad eggs in every walk of life but I haven't met a single one on here.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I doubt anybody remembers me as Kishtu (it's been a looooong time since Kishtu posted - I think it was when my late other half who also posted here, died - and just for the record, people here were incredibly kind to me) but here I am.

People I miss and have looked out for: there was a gentleman in Alaska who was a regular poster who was an absolute darling....

Hi Kishtu:

I remember you, welcome back.

I think the Alaskan gentleman was Carebear and it has been awhile since he posted.

Again, good to have you back.:)

Chicago Vienna Beef dogs are the absolute best hot dogs around.

There is a Vienna Beef dog stand at the Las Vegas airport and I was stacking two dogs with everything
when a Chinese gentleman approached asking for stack advice. Showed the best stack strategy and also
tendered some Chicago rules and regs about the illegality of ketchup on dogs. Mustard, relish and all and
everything else, but no ketchup. None whatsoever. That's when he confessed to being a White Sox fan. :eek:
Having committed the mortal sin of teaching the Cubs Wrigley Field neighborhood stack to an admitted Sox fan,
I passed him a ketchup cylinder. :cool:
I was not historically a Sox fan although Nellie Fox was my favourite 2nd baseman and Aparicio a damn good SS and Rocky Colavito my second favourite Right Fielder but I loved when they had Minnie Minoso as a coach. When the Sox came to Seattle I would travel down, get there early to watch Minnie hit fungos. That was in the era of the Sox wearing their god awful uniforms with the collars......Ernie Banks, even though just a Cub, was a pretty decent SS too.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Louie bought or rather had a customized house constructed down my neighborhood block
but traded before occupancy. I asked Ernie Banks wasn't it great the Sox won the Series?
My boyhood hero was none too pleased but gave an autograph. Great guy.

Louie bought or rather had a customized house constructed down my neighborhood block
but traded before occupancy. I asked Ernie Banks wasn't it great the Sox won the Series?
My boyhood hero was none too pleased but gave an autograph. Great guy.
"Lets play two"
Luis' first contract was for $5K a year....but then houses were cheaper then!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
You are the other half of Lounger, who was known as: The Hairy Bloke, filled us with fun & joy when Wigglesworth came on the scene. How are you keeping? So delighted that you have posted here once more. Those of us who have suffered the kind of bereavement that you have endured will know the pain of your posts. Welcome back Kishtu.

martinsantos

Practically Family
To be perfectly honest, I know that a lot of the women who've left have moved on because the Lounge just doesn't have the Era-specific focus that it used to. And then too, with the "vintage/swing" scene that was popular fitfteen or so years ago having now dwindled near to the vanishing point, there haven't been many others coming along to take their places.

Also the curious effect created by social media, facebook for +40, Instagram and others for youngsters. They took much of the forums public. This happened with me, btw. Started back to visit FL after being tired/irritated with Facebook and its electronic warriors.

Also the curious effect created by social media, facebook for +40, Instagram and others for youngsters. They took much of the forums public. This happened with me, btw. Started back to visit FL after being tired/irritated with Facebook and its electronic warriors.

That FL has survived in the age of Facebook and other social media is itself worthy of study. Facebook in particular seems bent on crushing all others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ