Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern cars with vintage style

Edward

Bartender
Smithy said:
Me too Edward. And by the sounds of it, you, like me, prefer the traditional versions over the modernised designs. Saying that, I think Morgan have done very well by keeping their tradition models as well as releasing more modern designs.

My mother had a boyfriend when living in England who had a three wheeled Moggie, apparently it was an absolute hoot.

The three wheeler, eh? Must have been an early one.... I think it was in the 30s they went over to four??

There is someone produces a kit car based on a 2CV with a 30s 3 wheeler styling (not exactly a Morgan, but ballpark styling...).

I definitely prefer the vintage designs - my favourite being the base model 4/4. Quite enough performance to be practical, cheaper to insure and feed than others. I'd love to see something that looked like a 4/4 with the Life Car's mechanics, and that swoopy back end. That could be very cool. The Life Car stylewise puts me in mind of a more 30s take on the Batmobile.... yummy.

Flivver

Practically Family
Lincsong said:
The new Challenger is a hottie. But at $40,000 plus I'll be waiting 2-3 years to get a used one.:D

For the 2008 model year, the Challenger is only available as a top-of-the-line SRT8 model with a 6.1L Hemi. When the 2009 models are introduced this fall, more affordable V6 and 5.7L Hemi V8 models will be added. These will be priced competitively with similar Mustangs.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Decodence said:
Both the Challenger and Camaro were pony cars, not muscle cars.

i stand corrected...'muscle car' has become such a broad term for any car made back in the 60s or 70s...afraid ive fallen to using it to generalize as well...damn...

Flivver

Practically Family
Decodence said:
Both the Challenger and Camaro were pony cars, not muscle cars.

Right you are! And of course the term "pony car" came from the first of the genre, the Ford Mustang.

Back in the late 1960s, when what we now call "muscle cars" were new, they were referred to as "supercars". But, for some reason, that term disappeared and was replaced by "muscle cars".

Actually, there is some evidence that the original Mustang was a response to the Corvair Monza that had been introduced in the Spring of 1960. I was told this by a Ford designer who had worked on the original Mustang program. Of course, Lee Iaccoca would explain it somewhat differently!

Flivver

Practically Family
Lincsong said:
The Pontiac G8 looks like a winner from Down Under. Why is it that the correct platform; rear wheel drive, is still available in Australia?????

I agree...the G8 is a great car.

The Australians never gave up on rear wheel drive...or on muscle cars. The Australian Ford Falcon and GM Holden Commodore (on which the G8 is based) have always been rear wheel drive.

Rear wheel drive yields improved weight distribution and classic design proportions. But customers in colder climates like the traction advantage of front wheel drive. But that's not really an issue in Australia!

Also, front wheel drive configurations offer packaging and weight advantages over rear wheel drive. And that's why they became so popular.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Flivver said:

The Australians never gave up on rear wheel drive...nor on muscle cars. The Australian Ford Falcon and GM Holden Commodore (on which the G8 is based) have always been rear wheel drive.

Rear wheel drive yields improved weight distribution and classic design proportions. But customers in colder climates like the traction advantage of front wheel drive. But that's not really an issue in Australia!

Also, front wheel drive configurations offer packaging and weight advantages over rear wheel drive. And that's why they became so popular.

Yeah, those engineers in Michigan think everyone lives in snow country, ergo everyone should drive a front-drive with a black interior!!:eek: I remember when I was selling cars in California and a guy came in and said he was being transferred back to North Dakota and wanted to trade in his two wheel drive S-10 for a front drive car because it has great traction in the snow. I also worked with a guy from Michigan and he told me his Dad's '67 Toronado could drive through any snow bank in the Upper Peninsula.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Flivver said:

The Australians never gave up on rear wheel drive...or on muscle cars. The Australian Ford Falcon and GM Holden Commodore (on which the G8 is based) have always been rear wheel drive.

Actually this is not the reason why Holden (and Aussie Ford also) have kept rear wheel drive for the Australian and NZ markets and that they are so popular there.

The reason why rear wheel drive is still very popular and important in the Antipodes is being able to tow things effectively, especially a boat. It is traditionally one of the most important functions that a car has to perform Downunder, and still considered highly necessary when buying a car especially for many blokes.

Smithy (the Kiwi)

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
The Pontiac dealer around the corner has one parked out front. I saw it last night as I was driving by so I stopped to check it. (Always great walking around a closed car lot :D ) WOW!:eek: That is a beautiful looking car. Of course the dealer has it marked up $4000 from sticker.:rage: But, I can honestly say it is the difference between night and day when compared to the Grand Prix that were also on the lot.

CharlesB

Suspended
Lincsong said:
The Pontiac dealer around the corner has one parked out front. I saw it last night as I was driving by so I stopped to check it. (Always great walking around a closed car lot :D ) WOW!:eek: That is a beautiful looking car. Of course the dealer has it marked up $4000 from sticker.:rage: But, I can honestly say it is the difference between night and day when compared to the Grand Prix that were also on the lot.
Im assuming you are referring to the Solstice

Flivver

Practically Family
CharlesB said:
I dont see anything visually exciting about it.

It's the classic rear wheel drive proportions with a short front overhang and a long dash to axle dimension that I find appealing on the G8.

Of course, styling preference is a very personal thing. That's why there are so many different designs out there!

Flivver

Practically Family
Smithy said:
Actually this is not the reason why Holden (and Aussie Ford also) have kept rear wheel drive for the Australian and NZ markets and that they are so popular there.

The reason why rear wheel drive is still very popular and important in the Antipodes is being able to tow things effectively, especially a boat. It is traditionally one of the most important functions that a car has to perform Downunder, and still considered highly necessary when buying a car especially for many blokes.

Smithy (the Kiwi)

You're right Smithy! That *is* the main reason why RWD cars remain popular in Australia. I was once told that by an engineer from Ford of Australia.

Of course the Aussie's like their muscle cars too, and RWD has provided an advantage there as well.

For those of you who liked the old Chevy El Camino, there will soon be a Pontiac G8ST (for Sport Truck). It's based on the Holden Commodore Ute and is a real looker!

Speedster

Practically Family
Smithy said:

Smithy (the Kiwi)

Here in Denmark almost all cars on the market are frontwheeldrive and just about everyone tows a cargotrailer, caravan or horsetrailer [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart