Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern cars with vintage style

CharlesB

Suspended
Flivver said:
You're right Smithy! That *is* the main reason why RWD cars remain popular in Australia. I was once told that by an engineer from Ford of Australia.

Of course the Aussie's like their muscle cars too, and RWD has provided an advantage there as well.

For those of you who liked the old Chevy El Camino, there will soon be a Pontiac G8ST (for Sport Truck). It's based on the Holden Commodore Ute and is a real looker!
I seriiously love el caminos

Flivver

Practically Family
Speedster said:
Here in Denmark almost all cars on the market are frontwheeldrive and just about everyone tows a cargotrailer, caravan or horsetrailer [huh]

Many FWD vehicles are rated to tow small trailers. But RWD vehicles make more stable tow vehicles because the trailer tongue weight loads the driving wheels with RWD. On a FWD vehicle, the trailer tongue weight un-loads the driving wheels.

Because of this, RWD vehicles can often tow heavier trailers than comparable FWD vehicles.

The ideal tow vehicle has RWD or 4WD, a long wheelbase, body-on-frame construction and an engine with lots of low end torque and a wide flat torque curve. Here in the US, fullsize pickups have all these characteristics and thus make great tow vehicles.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Speedster said:
Here in Denmark almost all cars on the market are frontwheeldrive and just about everyone tows a cargotrailer, caravan or horsetrailer [huh]

Yes but they probably won't be towing a 32 foot yacht or a motor launch up the Kaimai Ranges road for 15km.

That's the big reason why back home rear wheel drive is so popular. Try doing that in a front wheel drive car. You might have this happen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6xW7L6AChw&search=pikey

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Detroit is so out of touch with anything past Michigan, Ohio and Indiana they didn't even realize that many American's want rear wheel drive. Heck, Chrysler came out with the 300 rear drive version and it sold well.:eusa_doh: Oh, boy that was a no brainer.:rage:

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
David Conwill said:
I don't think that sort of thing will ever appeal to me. I'm very much a vintage car guy. A lot of the charm of old cars is the old technology that went into them. Modern cars feel a lot more like a disposable consumer good. I can't entirely blame the manufacturers for that, however, because it's federally mandated safety equipment, environmental controls, and fuel economy standards that have resulted in cars becoming about as charming as pocket calculators. Those things are probably a good thing for the general driving public, but they just aren't my cup of tea, and all the retro styling in the world can't change that.

On the other hand, I really do like some modern cars, but by and large they have modern style. The Solstice, for example, while vaguely reminscent of certain classic roadsters like the C1 Corvette, looks modern with classic touches, not really "vintage." I might even go a bit more classic with a traditional-style mag wheel and a redline tire, but that's about it.

The PT Cruiser (along with it's spiritual predecessor the Prowler) are to me about as "vintage" as my red Target toaster. They just don't have that feel. They give me the same feeling that a '96 Caprice slammed over Denman whitewalls does - just a mixed message.

-Dave

:eusa_clap

Couldn't have said it any better!

You all know what I drive... and I feel that as long as I can, I'll drive the real deal... and have more then just one.

Nothing can compare to the large bench seats, the smooth large steering wheel, the long look down the hood behind a split windshield... Ahhhhhhh, heaven!

So, I'm nuts to drive a 62 year old car daily... I'm quite happy that way! Also, I can't afford a new car.... lol :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart