Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Casual Clothes With a Retro Flair

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
Hi ladies. Just hoping to pick your brains a bit. I'm working on some spring cleaning of the closet right now--getting rid of some old stuff that doesn't fit or I don't wear, and hopefully making room for some new stuff!! :eusa_clap

In doing so, I am hoping to start getting more of a retro look. I would love to be able to buy and wear true vintage, but I do have some concerns. The first of which is that I am a stay at home mom to a 16 month old son, and it seems there is nothing that he can't destroy... I'm all for preservation, so it would just break my heart for a vintage piece to be ruined by dirty hands or him pulling on the neckline.

So, I think I will forego the day-to-day vintage and treat myself to one or two gowns or dresses a year, for the formal events and military balls that my husband and I attend each year. So, that leaves me with trying to find things for my daily wear. I have looked at a lot of the repro sites, and it seems that a lot of the outfits are more for "going out"--like dancing or dinner outfits, not so much daily wear. Either that, or the items are a little out of my budget. I would love to be able to sew some things for myself, but I have to learn to sew first! That is on my agenda for this summer, and I think that will be a step in the right direction, as I would love to make some little cute housedresses or shirts.

But in the meantime, does anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions for me? Specifically, I am wondering if there is any way I can accessorize or put a retro twist on modern, casual wear--things like jeans, khakis, t-shirts, sweaters, skirts? Any particular cut, style, pattern or colors of clothes that would help contribute to the look (especially WW2, and post-WW2?)

Like I said, I would love to be able to dress more formally, but being a hands-on mom (playing in the sandbox, pulling the wagon, etc.) means I need to have comfy clothes that wash up well. I tend to get most stuff now at Old Navy, Gap, or Ann Taylor. Hopefully one day (when I don't have this 23 pound growth on my hip) I can venture into more of the vintage daily wear.

For now though, I would greatly appreciate any help from you very knowledgeable ladies!

Thanks,
Jessica

Vanessa

One Too Many
Some things I keep in mind when looking for vintage-inspired modern clothes:

-fabric - nothing too 'out there' - cottons, linen, tweed, silk, wool (I stay away from evil polyester as much as possible)
-cut - I look for darts, princess seaming, collars & cuffs, button down fronts on shirts and buttons/zippers on the side of pants
-I have quite the collection of cardigans. . .nothing says vintage to me like a blouse & light sweater
-With skirts, I usually aim for knee level or below and an A-line cut, no bias

V For Vixen

New in Town
Hi Jess - sounds like you have your hands full!!

I go for:

Wide leg slacks (plenty in the shops at the moment)
Twin Sets (Short sleeved sweater and cardigan)
Puff-sleeved blouses with a button collar or sweetheart neckline
Vintage inspired shoes (round toes, wedges, ankle straps - again, plenty about on the high street just now)

I do like the 50s twist aswell though - so I go for nice dark denim and get them longer in the leg than I need, so I can put my own turn up on (I'm 5 foot nine, so have to get a very long leg!); Wedgie Espadrilles; invest in a few nice tea-timers, or "gypsy" tops. Or - pencil skirt, and roll neck with ankle straps and swing coats.

All in the shops for pretty low prices - have a hunt!!

V
xx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner