Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

modern perfumes that work with vintage

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
crwritt said:
I don't mind sniffing perfume from the bottle, but I mostly won't wear it because
personally I can't stand smelling anyone else walking by me who is wearing perfume, let alone be in the same room or elevator with them.
The most I will put on myself is a little rosewater.
Does anyone else feel this way?
I do, I were very little perfume rosewater is nice. I get bombarded with the highschool kids spraying things all over my room otherwise their lotions tend to have really strong scents and I always have to have a talk with them at some point about the rights of others noses and alergies to scents etc.... Many of them just don't get it though I guess some people never do. My one friend on a trip home from Las Vegas stared spraying herself on the plane. When I mentioned that others may not actually enjoy her scent as much as she did she got super offended with me.

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
Land-O-LakesGal said:
I do, I were very little perfume rosewater is nice. I get bombarded with the highschool kids spraying things all over my room otherwise their lotions tend to have really strong scents and I always have to have a talk with them at some point about the rights of others noses and alergies to scents etc.... Many of them just don't get it though I guess some people never do. My one friend on a trip home from Las Vegas stared spraying herself on the plane. When I mentioned that others may not actually enjoy her scent as much as she did she got super offended with me.

People seem to take it really personally. Although I worked with a gal that complained about my perfume about a YEAR after I started wearing it. She claimed that it had bothered her the whole time. I kinda figured at that point she was out of luck. If she'd said something right away....

Ahh, she was kinda weird anyway.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I guess I have never even thought that much about it since I don't like heavy scents anyway. I have to say I have absolutely no idea what would constitute a 'sporty' scent or something appropriate for a ball or whatever. My mum had a signature scent - Eternity - and she wore it every day as well. So I always wanted to be like her and have a scent that people associate with me (I don't know if they do as I don't put huge amounts on, so it's likely most people don't smell me anyway!). I like lightish rose scents, and see no reason not to wear the same fragance morning and evening, summer and winter! I have never had more than one or two bottles of perfume at any one time, either.

Veronica

New in Town
Fleur De Guerre said:
..... My mum had a signature scent - Eternity - and she wore it every day as well. So I always wanted to be like her and have a scent that people associate with me (I don't know if they do as I don't put huge amounts on, so it's likely most people don't smell me anyway!).....
It reminds me a nice story :
My mum used to wear "Cabotine"by Grès based on lily of the valley when I was a kid.
Years later, at university, while hugging a friend one morning, I just become that kid again. And while sniffing her, I said "Oh god, you smell just like my mommy !". I was 22 and in my best business look ( suit, updo, laptop wallet etc).
Fortunately she understood that burst of emotion and took it well...

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Oh yes, I started wearing rose oil every day when I was fourteen in an attempt to make it my "signature scent" (I also happened to love the smell, of course!). I remember reading Gone With the Wind that year and thinking it was sooo romantic and sweet that Scarlett's mother had a signature scent (lemon verbena, I believe!). Nearly four years later, I think I can safely call it my signature scent, though I'm starting to mix things up!

I'm not a fan of most perfumes, though. I love herbal oils, like rose, lavender, and lemon. It's not modern at all, but I have a cute little bottle of this and I love it:http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/...1:100:1000:10060:100060/I/f02851?evar3=browse
I've wanted to try bluebell for a couple of years since reading I Capture the Castle, but I've yet to do it.

HepKitty

One Too Many
found this brand last week at the Co-op in Boise, I got the Tunisian Jasmine and I love it. very jasmine and fades to sandalwood, nummy! almost got the Persian Rose too but that and the Neroli will have to wait. it's based on essential oils instead of noxious chemicals, so the sensitive types should have an easier time

http://www.pacificaperfume.com/

speaking of Cabotine, I like that one too. haven't worn it in a while though

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Actually on the signature scent theme, my mum always wears Joy, i pinched some when i stayed with her last and felt really odd wearing it! Like an imposter!! Actually the Coty L'aimant Rose is quite nice and wears off to a powdery rose smell, i usually steer away from florals on the whole, but that was rather nice. I'm a No. 5 girl, and that works for me.

D

Deleted member 12480

Fleur De Guerre said:
Maybe it's just me, but I don't really get why any perfume would not work with whatever you might happen to be wearing! I wear perfumes I like and which suit me, I don't mind how 'old' they are! My current one is Paul Smith Rose which only came out a couple of years ago.

I think that she meant that some less 'floral' perfumes sometimes smell like liquidised pic n' mix stands. Making you smell a little like a hipster or teenager. Haha. I totally get the difference between goddess and hipster in terms of scent. ;)

I love the Gwen Stefani Harajuku one - I think its 'Baby', it actually smells of babies - all talc-y and fresh and soft. :)
xx

MysteriousRed

New in Town
I'm not very fond of very floral scents. (Simply, they make my eyes water and I always sneeze.) I usually wear a 'fruit scent' that's paired with something to neutralize it down a bit (ie. lemon with vanilla.)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
crwritt said:
I don't mind sniffing perfume from the bottle, but I mostly won't wear it because
personally I can't stand smelling anyone else walking by me who is wearing perfume, let alone be in the same room or elevator with them.
The most I will put on myself is a little rosewater.
Does anyone else feel this way?

Yes! A few too many ladies wearing too much perfume in the elevator with me and I stopped wearing it. I only wear it now if I'm going out for the evening.

When I do wear perfume, I tend to stick to light, powdery fragrances because I like their subtlety (Ellen Tracy, Mariella Burani, Yardley Lace, Coty l'Origan). I have one crisp, summery fragrance I wear (Eau d'Issey) and one more sophisticated scent (the original Dolce & Gabbana) that I almost never wear.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Gogo said:
I'm afraid I am a two-squirts girl - trying to wean myself down to one!

A tip for getting the right amount and not wasting perfume. Spray your perfume onto a Qtip and use that to dab where you need it. It's much easier to not overdo it that way, and also easier to not waste a lot of an expensive perfume.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
LUSH's Gorilla perfumes are nothing exciting to my nose, and many other LUSH lovers seem to agree with me.

I personally like to use perfume or perfumed products only to the extend that you can smell me if you are close enough to hug me ... or it's so windy where I am that you can small a *hint* of what perfume I am wearing.
That's because I like to keep the scent close to my skin so it doesn't overpower the smell of my skin, but helps me to create emotions (feeling calm, empowered, hungry lol ).

For modern perfumes that smell different I would take a look at niche brand like Serge Lutgens, Annick Goutal, Tom Ford Private Blends...

Katarina

New in Town
Goldfish said:
LUSH's Gorilla perfumes are nothing exciting to my nose, and many other LUSH lovers seem to agree with me.

I don't think we have those State-side yet, but good to know. I'm currently using Lush's Sakura solid perfume, and it's flowery and, well, just fine, really. [huh]

jillybeanlynn

Familiar Face
Goldfish said:

For modern perfumes that smell different I would take a look at niche brand like Serge Lutgens, Annick Goutal, Tom Ford Private Blends...

:-( Sad face about the Gorilla perfumes. I was hoping they would be unique and interesting - the descriptions on the website sound so delicious. Damn, I am a sucker for marketing, again. ;-)

Thanks for those recommendations. And this thanks also goes to all ladies who've posted recommendations - I am trying to either track down the scents in person or get samples. I've resigned myself to forking over some money at some point for modest decants of Chanel no. 5, Shalimar, and Joy.

I am mostly using this Amber oil from Whole Foods [I'm sure most of you've seen it there - it's a lovely, light amber scent], the last bit of my Kiehl's Original Musk Oil [which I fear is discontinued as an oil in a glass bottle but I will search], and Lush's Fever massage bar. I stumbled onto using the last one as a scent when people kept sniffing around me and saying, "Is that you I smell?" when I wasn't wearing perfume. Gladly, they meant that in a good way. ;-)

Sidenote - I remember having these cute little mini bottles of Anais Anais, Ysatis, and L'air du Temps as a kid. I used to dab them on and feel all grown up, though now I don't even remember what they smelled like.

And to avoid knocking people over with your perfume, oils help since you can only dab on a bit. Otherwise spritz twice into the air, wait a second, and walk through the mist.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
I have a sort of strange question that may or may not belong in this thread, but do perfumes damage vintage clothing? Like, I usually dab a little rose oil onto my collar. Do you think the perfumes or scent oils we use could possibly decay or damage the fabrics and threads of our vintage pieces?

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
RodeoRose.... I'm not sure about all fragrances but I've always been under the impression that they can damage or at least stain your clothes. I would especially be careful about using them on your fragile vintage pieces.

Lillemor

One Too Many
When I read fragrance reviews, it seems like every other woman thinks that anything typically liked by women over 50 and are considered timeless by more mature women is considered "old lady" fragrances by women 35 and younger. That's fine with me. I don't have the original White Linen but Pure White Linen. I thought that would be considered a contemporary classic but no; Apparently Pure White Linen is now considered something for little old ladies after Pink Coral Pure White Linen came out. Whatever...

My MIL wears Sun-Moon-Stars, Red Door, Dolce Vita and similar fragrances. She seems to like EA fragrances a lot and so do I. Actually, both EA and EL seem to have a lot of contemporary classics that appeal more to women over 65 than the younger crowd. I used to like Sun-Moon-Stars and I have a larger bottle of Dolce Vita than she does, hah!:p

Be aware of timeless classics that have been reformulated! (I hate Tom Ford!) Apparently Shalimar which is still produced smells like a dime basket fragrance now if reviews are to be believed.:(

I've never sampled a Chanel fragrance that didn't smell cheap and soapy. My body chemistry just doesn't seem to like Chanel. On the other hand, I can't go wrong with any Dior's and they last forever on me with a small spritz.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR