Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Products with Vintage Style Packaging

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Dixie_Amazon said:
Mrs. Stewart's Bluing

MrsStewarts1883.jpg

Now
MrsStewarts1997.gif

She hasn't aged a day!

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
The makers of Camp Coffee have changed the label on their famous jars - after complaints of racism.
The makers of the chicory-flavoured essence are now using an image of a Scottish soldier sitting side by side drinking coffee with a turbanned Sikh.
Earlier labels showed the Indian apparently serving the kilted soldier which provoked a storm of protest from race equality groups who claimed at the time that the label delivered "an offensive and racist" message.
As an interim move the firm removed the tray from the servant's hand but now the label depicts the bearer and the Gordon Highlander officer sitting as equals - no longer promoting the master-servant Days of the Raj message.

Camp%20Coffee%20(then,%20now).jpg

Puzzicato

One Too Many
BinkieBaumont said:
f6d2.jpg

How can a bottle with such a pretty label, contain such a foul tasting product, its a thick syrup made of coffee and chicory that you add to hot water, - Nasty

You may want a bottle in the kitchen for decorative purposes only!

Not good for drinking but excellent for cooking with! Gives coffee and walnut cake an excellent flavour!

The label was changed in 2006 - but given how long the stuff lasts, there is no telling how many of the old bottles are still in circulation!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Here's a few

Good old Gentleman's Relish

patumpeperium.jpg

Colman's Mustard Powder

colmans_mustard_powder_57g.jpg

Edmonds Baking Powder (apart from the fact it has the "modern" Edmonds logo on it now)

Edmonds-Baking-Powder_large.gif

Watkins' Mushroom Ketshup

3466006592_ee5592a373.jpg

A few years ago Weet-Bix in NZ were released in a limited edition tin

128602895.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
And here's some I remember from Norway

Stupedama pastiller which I'm rather fond of

Stupedama_Brynild_1308469t.jpg

Fiskeboller

fiskeboller.jpg

Teddy ciggies haven't changed much over the decades

Teddy_tiedemanns_s_20_s_norway.jpg

More pastiller, these are damn good too

8587.gif

Well not packaging as such but I loved how in Norway in the pedestrian crossing signs, the chap as in the good old days still wore a hat!

201313808_f9ef3b9236.jpg

Beaubeau

New in Town
Bruce Wayne said:
BUMP!!!

I bought this box of Captain Crunch today at the store. The package seems to be from the late 60's to sometime in the 70's. Can anyone pinpoint it exactly?

Thanx!!!
Charlie[/QUOTE]

People [I]hate [/I]those boxes and the throwback cokes (although the Pepsi company's doing it, it's still all the retro packaging). I think because it throws off their mental grove of what the products look like.

[IMG]http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/1807/pepsithrowback.jpg

Personally, considering that when we explained to people what the hell "throwback" meant when they were snatching them up. A lot of people really digged the Throwback Mountain Dew, and they've brought it back again, so I guess it's going to be a summery thing.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Beaubeau said:

I always found these funny. "Hey customers, we are using real sugar in our soft drinks! Now that is old school!" They dont want these to catch on, same as their rather delicious Pepsi natural, as sugar is more expensive than HFCS.

Its a shame too, because the real sugar stuff tastes better.

LD

Beaubeau

New in Town
Lady Day said:
I always found these funny. "Hey customers, we are using real sugar in our soft drinks! Now that is old school!" They dont want these to catch on, same as their rather delicious Pepsi natural, as sugar is more expensive than HFCS.

LD

It's also to compete with Coke for the Jewish Market: We're not allowed to have corn or other grain based products besides Matzoh during Passover, so Coke for years made a yellow capped with Hebrew lettering on the cap Kosher for Passover Coke that's pretty hard to find outside of certain areas. All the Pepsi throwback stuff is kosher for Passover and a lot easier to find, so not only do you get the people who like the taste of real sugar but also to snag a significant part of the Jewish population - vast majority of us do Passover and drink soft drinks, so it's not just the ones that keep Kosher all year round doing giving up soft drinks - who already drink Pepsi as a preference or those who can't find Passover Coke and don't want to give up soda for eight days. There's also Heritage Dr. Pepper during this time of the year.

Right now, there's Dr. Pepper made with real sugar on the shelves for their anniversary. Our store will be getting them through September, I heard from one of the stock clerks.

Anyway, Soft drinks aren't good for you. Maybe it's a good thing that it's a couple times a year thing.

ETA: It's not like we have to always drink the Celery Soda. ;)

celray.jpg

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lady Day said:

LD

I don't know about anyone else, but I would be willing to pay a little extra to have the option of getting sodas with regular sugar instead of HFCS. Depending on the soda, I can't always taste a difference, but the body metabolized HFCS differently than plain old sugar.

Beaubeau

New in Town
Bruce Wayne said:
I don't know about anyone else, but I would be willing to pay a little extra to have the option of getting sodas with regular sugar instead of HFCS. Depending on the soda, I can't always taste a difference, but the body metabolized HFCS differently than plain old sugar.

Jones soda is made with pure sugar, if I remember right.

Kosher For Passover Coke (Yellow caps), Kosher for Passover Pepsi, Throwbacks, Heritage Dr. Pepper, Dublin Dr. Pepper, Virgil's.

Basically, go to a Whole Foods or other natural store and ask the customer service desk if they can send somebody from grocery to help you find a product. They'll be more than glad to help you, especially if you buy a bunch of ones to try.

I know all of the Whole Foods house sodas are using real sugar, but other than that? Eh, I really don't know. The one thing I do know is I'm surprised how much I know about soft drinks considering I don't drink them.

Beaubeau

New in Town
MikeBravo said:
Oh my god!!!!! I want me some of that celery soda

That is just captivating packaging

Get thee to a Kosher Deli or an area with a lot of Jews then. This is considered one of the essential drinks to drink with a proper pastrami and rye, and is very popular amongst the sort of people who are old enough to actually remember the golden era very well.

The company makes cream, black cherry, orange, ginger ale, and root beer flavors if celery is not up to your taste. They do use HFCS outside of Passover, and are extremely expensive outside of New York (Almost $6 for a four pack), but if that's your sort of thing....

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Bruce Wayne said:
BUMP!!!

img2010082000019ma29588.jpg

Charlie

When I was at the Academy, if there was a box of Captain Crunch on the table, we junior cadets had to address Captain Crunch instead of the senior cadets at the table. They would yell at us if we did not put all requests through the Captain.

I cannot eat Captain Crunch to this day. The horror.

martinsantos

Practically Family
Very interesting thread!

This is a brazilian cheese. Very traditional... Since the 10s with the same packaging. And, as far as I can remember, the same taste (very very good!)

CC68F682510D40EB8740D9670CCB22F5.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21