Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Safari inspired Jackets for the Urban Jungle Explorer (Pics)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ladies and Gents - Here are some photos of current 'season' jackets that one can buy on the High Street this Summer.

There obviously is 'something,' a certain 'je ne sais quois' that associates the Safari Jacket with masculinity, adventure, ruggedness and simply "looking pretty damn good!"

From top end designers right across to the back street rag traders ALL see the mystic and lure of THE SAFARI JACKET that can transform the most 'urb-ane' and 'metrosexual' of individuals into a 'leach covered,' 'five o'clock shadowed' 'alligator wresting' Stewart Granger type!!

So here are a few photos (and I'll list the manufacturers in no particular order so you can 'hunt them down in your own personal online Safari!!'). Something for everyone...

MAKERS/SELLERS: Faconnable; Kevin's Safari & Travel; Marsee International; Rag & Bone; Orvis; JL Powell; Burberry; Wrangler; Hackett; Diesel Black Gold; Armani; Tommy Hilfiger; Orvis; Boss Orange.
Prices range from £375 to £10..!!!

Oldsarge

One Too Many
The belt on the safari jacket is a PITA but the pockets are useful and the epaulettes will help keep the camera/binocular strap from sliding off your shoulder and into the mud/sand/river/hippo's mouth. Years ago there was a discussion of safari clothing on the last page of Smithsonian magazine in which the author (female) allowed as how a khaki safari jacket could make even an accountant with thick glasses look dashing. She wasn't exactly correct. I have seen a gentleman arriving in the Johannesburg airport wearing safari gear who looked totally hopeless. I pray he is an extreme exception.

BTW, I no longer have one. I found them rather useless on safari, actually. From a functional standpoint an old U.S. Army OD field jacket is a better choice.

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars

This is identical (I'd say the same!) to the summer service jacket Italian Army adopted in the '80s; discarded after a few years because some high ranking officer disliked it (they say, because it underlined his big belly...)
I guess you could find it for few euros in markets, looking for second hand clothes, if you have luck.
Also distributed to Somalian police (I guess during Restore Hope).

ciao!

Aaron Palm

New in Town
I've been looking for something similar and I stumbled across this thread just as I was about to order a pair of these. They look pretty similar to the above two links too. I'll post some pictures when they arrive.

L'Onset

Familiar Face
It has been interesting for me to see that since I've been wearing to the office my WPG belted bush jacket (khaki) some of my colleagues have started to wear some kind of similar mall jackets.
Those new 'old-looking' jackets present their typical features such as epaulets, belts, pocket-flaps and others of a reduced size or inverted (epaulets buttoning on the arm side, not on the neck side) etc. As if the makers were trying to give them a more modern look, while keeping it still a kind of 'vintaged design'
Nothing to say, of course, about the fabrics this are made of.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I find myself in possession of about eight tanned deerskins that I would like to turn into a safari jacket. However, I can't find patterns anywhere. Does anyone know where one might pick up a size 44 or 44L pattern?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR