Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Stetson Open Road

TunedVWGti

One of the Regulars
Rather than start a new thread, I'll just post this here...

I ordered a new Stetson Open Road 6x in Chocolate. I knew the reviews on the lounge here aren't exactly rave for the non-vintage open road, but I wanted to give Stetson a chance and see for myself, and see if the latest models had improved.

I'm not an experienced hat aficionado, but I like hats, and I've bashed my own Akubra before, etc. The Stetson was priced decently online and only took a few days to ship. I play in a progressive bluegrass band and wanted a new "gig hat" as well as something fun to tool around in. I have beater hats to hike in like my Akubra, and while doing long distance hikes like the Pacific Crest Trail I've worn synthetic stuff like the OR Sombriolet ...alas I'm at a different place now and I am bitten by the hat bug. I was excited for the open road to arrive.

The crown on the open road was a little low for me so I steamed it out a little to better fit my noggin. It is now a little more than 4.5". My long diamond-shaped face requires a brim profile change from the stock open road shape, and with steam it set perfectly. There is no evidence of the previous creases in the crown either from where I raised it, thereby reducing the taper from the front field of view.

I'm pretty happy with my open road 6x now. In retrospect it's a toss up between an Akubra Campdraft Deluxe in cedar, but I'm still happy enough with the Stetson and impressed with how well it took the changes, of course they were nothing drastic...but still. I like that I had the option to return the Stetson, which I didn't with the Campdraft. It's a fun hat, and fits in well in the city. I look "better" in full size cowboy hats, but I'm more comfortable wearing the open road here in the city daily...

I know the Akubra would be awesome in the elements, and time will tell with the Stetson, but it's ok for now. I take my Akubra on day hikes in the rain and it's stellar. I won't do that with the Open Road...

I like the Stetson Caribou color as well and wouldn't mind getting a Royal Deluxe. I like the Stetson enough that I'd order it again if the Akubra didn't have a similar color.

I hope this helps someone make a decision as to whether or not the new 6x is right for them. I like mine.

Here's a bad picture of me in the sunlight to illustrate the hat. :D

Attachments

• 20180131_114913.jpg
    20180131_114913.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10,182
Last edited:

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Rather than start a new thread, I'll just post this here...

I ordered a new Stetson Open Road 6x in Chocolate. I knew the reviews on the lounge here aren't exactly rave for the non-vintage open road, but I wanted to give Stetson a chance and see for myself, and see if the latest models had improved.

I'm not an experienced hat aficionado, but I like hats, and I've bashed my own Akubra before, etc. The Stetson was priced decently online and only took a few days to ship. I play in a progressive bluegrass band and wanted a new "gig hat" as well as something fun to tool around in. I have beater hats to hike in like my Akubra, and while doing long distance hikes like the Pacific Crest Trail I've worn synthetic stuff like the OR Sombriolet ...alas I'm at a different place now and I am bitten by the hat bug. I was excited for the open road to arrive.

The crown on the open road was a little low for me so I steamed it out a little to better fit my noggin. It is now a little more than 4.5". My long diamond-shaped face requires a brim profile change from the stock open road shape, and with steam it set perfectly. There is no evidence of the previous creases in the crown either from where I raised it, thereby reducing the taper from the front field of view.

I'm pretty happy with my open road 6x now. In retrospect I'd probably just order an Akubra Campdraft Deluxe in cedar, but I'm still happy enough with the Stetson and impressed with how well it took the changes, of course they were nothing drastic...but still. It's a fun hat, and fits in well in the city. I look "better" in full size cowboy hats, but I'm more comfortable wearing the open road here in the city daily...

I know the Akubra would be awesome in the elements, and time will tell with the Stetson, but it's ok for now. I take my Akubra on day hikes in the rain and it's stellar.

I like the Stetson Caribou color as well and wouldn't mind getting a Royal Deluxe. I like the Stetson enough that I'd order it again if the Akubra didn't have a similar color.

I hope this helps someone make a decision as to whether or not the new 6x is right for them. I like mine.
It is looking sharp and you have a good color selection as well!

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I picked up a new Stetson Open Road 6X in 7 5/8 recently that is too big for me if you are interested.
Peace

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran